Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe Number Plate Light Bracket "RUST"

Teamrmaccordcoupe

• Administrators

The number plate light bracket/housing seems to be issue on our ageing coupes, the brackets on my coupe will need to replaced in the future :rolleyes: the little brackets rust away and this allows the number plate lights to fall down behind the bumper, if this is case one off another coupe will likely be the same condition or near impossible to remove in one peace :huh:

post-1-0-92806700-1442142443_thumb.jpg

The dealer only parts you will need are illustrated above (bottom left) all you should need is the two no.16 p/n: 34106SP0A01 £11.82 each and maybe some new screws? no. 33 p/n: 93500050100A

• Like 2

• Moderators

Correct me if i'm wrong Stu but isn't that the same (or at least similar) bracket to the one that holds the puddle lamp in the doors?

A suggestion once replacements brackets have been obtained (now i've seen where they live!) is before fitting, give them several coats of hammerite or similar paint to protect them. My guess is they are the standard clear passivated finish (sort of gold coloured appearance) which although is a good finish normally, it's not when exposed to the elements and in particular bits of grit and other abrasive materials thrown up from the road. As such any paint to offer further protection is going to help.

Given the cost of the new brackets Vs time, petrol etc to go and remove some (potentially) already rusty ones from a breakers yard, it's a no brainer IMHO - buy new! Then protect them before fitting.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Correct me if i'm wrong Stu but isn't that the same (or at least similar) bracket to the one that holds the puddle lamp in the doors?

They just clip in on the doors, no bracket buddy and good suggestion on a bit of preventative prep on new ones before fitting ;) something I do frequently :lol:  

• Like 2

• Moderators

I remember when i changed the door on my second 2.2 Accord coupe i had to swap the door cards and somewhere i still have the piddle lamp and bracket which is very similar. Perhaps being an older model they used brackets for the pufddle lamps but not on the later ones?

It was on an M reg and thinking about it was a 2.0 not a 2.2 but i didn't have it long, was never completely mine in fact.

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators

Despite the pic's above I did manage to salvage the bulb holders without breaking them :P (easily done though) I riveted them to the brackets which saved a fiver and to avoid anti seize grease weakening the plastic ^_^ Although I opted for new screws (anti-seized) to mount them back on the numberplate surround , so I can remove them complete if I'm faced with the same problem in a few years. ;)

IMG-20160716-135159.jpgIMG-20160716-135223.jpgIMG-20160716-142032.jpg

I am thinking this is a common age related problem and I am putting together a quicker & cheaper mod for these lights, unless somebody has already done one, if so please share it :ph34r:

• Like 4

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Shaun said:

A 3D printer would be good for small stuff like this.

Yeah definitely m8 a member has one he made, there was a post on it but the links disappeared and its been auto pruned by the looks of it :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• Moderators

Excellent stuff Stu - got me thinking about the 3D printer as well. Not sure if you remember member "The VDM" aka Jim but he's a bit of a whizz with 3D printers. Not seen him on here for ages though.

On a materials front, i don't know what filaments are available for 3D printers but if Delrin or a similar glass-filled nylon is available, it would be perfect for small, non-stressed brackets like this one and wouldn't rust either!

Alternatively if you could make a mould of the bracket, you could reproduce it in one of the products from this lot :

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyurethane-casting-resin.html

Incidentally, their cold-cure polyurethane rubber can be used to make bushes......... ;):D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have a number plate light bracket they can take an image off and some measurement. One has rotted away and the other won't budhe. I'll make some from stainless. It was comical how the previous owner tried retaining it.

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 12/8/2018 at 10:22 PM, Lumpy said:

Does anyone have a number plate light bracket they can take an image off and some measurement. One has rotted away and the other won't budhe. I'll make some from stainless. It was comical how the previous owner tried retaining it.

I don't have one to hand but it was about 4inches across, I have replaced mine see the topic linked below just scroll up a little to see some of my pictures.😏

• Like 3

On 12/8/2018 at 11:07 PM, hughezee said:

I don't have one to hand but it was about 4inches across, I have replaced mine see the topic linked below just scroll up a little to see some of my pictures.😏

aha, it's 90 deg. I thought it maybe a different angle. the pitches I can get at it easily enough. Thanks for that and the part number

• Like 3

• The title was changed to 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe Number Plate Light Bracket "RUST"
  • 7 months later...
  • Founding Member

I finally remembered to upload some photos from mending my rear numberplate lights, I did it more or less identical from some old plastic trunking,  8 x m6 rivet nuts and 8 stainless allen head M6 bolts and some silicone grease.

20190702-111546.jpg

These fit nicely into the existing groves and will not rot!!!

20190702-111554.jpg

Theses are also now very easily removable to replace bulbs...

20190702-111408.jpg

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/24/2019 at 6:21 PM, PaulS said:

I finally remembered to upload some photos from mending my rear numberplate lights, I did it more or less identical from some old plastic trunking,  8 x m6 rivet nuts and 8 stainless allen head M6 bolts and some silicone grease.

Great, thanks Paul. I need to do the exact same job to my coupe, and I even think that I have a bit of old trunking lying around somewhere! I'm off to Google what a rivet nut is.  

• Like 2