Subscriptions & Donations ×

Suspension & Steering Noises & Knocking 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

I did think pump but I get the same noise going over a bump too so not sure why that would be? Will check fluid levels anyway 

So it seems as if it squeaks under loading.... what are the steering rack control arms bushes like??? 

Or the rack mounts maybe????

• Like 1

• Moderators

Maybe the lube has worked its magic eventually!!!

Did you check the fluid in steering reservoir??? If it's old, black, or not been changed for some years  etc its worth doing the syringe change from a service point of view anyway.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Plot thickens.... Just drove about 30miles on Motorway pulled into services and no noise at all, I give up🙈

Once again, that points to my theory of weak/lazy shocks but the fact that turning the steering on idle also makes the squeak doesn't. 'Tis a puzzle!

If it was a McPherson strut on the front, i'd suggest the strut top bearing but it's in very simple terms, double wishbone and coil-over-shock. That said, it could still be weak shocks.

My Rover was totally quiet yesterday and a pre-drive bounce-test revealed nothing. It's not been used for a few weeks either so that throws that theory into oblivion - maybe!

Intermittent faults are a pain - my heater fan in my Volvo has just come out in sympathy with your squeak by stopping intermittently.

Perhaps as Pete suggests, the lube has finally worked its way into whatever was squeaking and yours is now cured - fingers crossed! ;):D

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Squeak over bumps pretty constant now and getting louder.. Merry Christmas 😫😫😫😫😫

That could in fact be viewed as progress - the squeak when turning seems to have disappeared and you know it's not the bushes squeaking. Theoretically at least.

If you take it for a longer drive, does the squeaking subside any or disappear at all?

41 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

That could in fact be viewed as progress - the squeak when turning seems to have disappeared and you know it's not the bushes squeaking. Theoretically at least.

If you take it for a longer drive, does the squeaking subside any or disappear at all?

Hmmm I don't see it as progress as still don't know what it is and the noise when turning wheel came back this morning!

• Sad 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Just wondering: does anyone else put silicon grease on bushes / o-rings etc when fitting them?  Never yet found a garage that does and I wonder why - it even makes them easier to fit ....

Yes, me! Garages don't as to them it's unnecessary expense. It's good engineering practice, particularly on "O" rings as it allows them to slide into place without being caught and twisiting. For those that just lay in place, firstly it holds them in place while fitting the other half of the component and as things are tightened down, allows them to move/spread as they need to to provide a good seal.

A by-product is the silicone also helps moisturise/condition the rubber so it lasts longer - that's the real reason that garages don't use it! Deprives them of repeat business! :P

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Hmmm I don't see it as progress as still don't know what it is and the noise when turning wheel came back this morning!

Did you have a look at the top mounts on the front suspension?

Is happening whilst you are turning the steering when at a standstill??? or is it just when moving along?

What happens if you drive slowly over a bump and/or turn the wheel?

Which side of the car is squeaking?

It would seem to be associated with the steering input (?) from what you say so that is where you need to focus your efforts.

Can you jack it up and check the steering ?, does it squeak now?

Check the rack mounts whilst you are under there !

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PaulS said:

Just wondering: does anyone else put silicon grease on bushes / o-rings etc when fitting them?  Never yet found a garage that does and I wonder why - it even makes them easier to fit ....

oh yes !! 😜 nothing like a bit of lube to make things slide in easily...........😏

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Did you have a look at the top mounts on the front suspension?

Is happening whilst you are turning the steering when at a standstill??? or is it just when moving along?

What happens if you drive slowly over a bump and/or turn the wheel?

Which side of the car is squeaking?

It would seem to be associated with the steering input (?) from what you say so that is where you need to focus your efforts.

Can you jack it up and check the steering ?, does it squeak now?

Check the rack mounts whilst you are under there !

Ok.... not really checked top mounts. 

Intermittent when turning wheel at standstill or very slow like parking. The squeak over bumps seems to be over a longer bump in road or going over speed hump slow, don't seem to get it at higher speed over a small, quick, hard bump.... It does seem to get worse and then better but never goes away. It's from OSF for sure. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Reading that it might pay to give the drop link bushes a good dose with lube - i could see where Pete was going when he asked the question so said nowt and it seems he's uncovered something we hadn't previously thought of.

In fairness, drop links usually produce a clunk when they fail but it's possible they could squeak, especially if they were originally tightened without the weight of the car on the wheels.

If the lube cures it, albeit temporarily, get the front end up on ramps, slacken the drop link mounting bolts, give the drop links another dose of lube and bounce the front end a couple of times.

Go and have a cup of tea/coffee/whatever, come back a bit later and tighten the drop link bolts without moving or getting in the car.

• Like 1

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Ok.... not really checked top mounts. 

Intermittent when turning wheel at standstill or very slow like parking. The squeak over bumps seems to be over a longer bump in road or going over speed hump slow, don't seem to get it at higher speed over a small, quick, hard bump.... It does seem to get worse and then better but never goes away. It's from OSF for sure. 

So is it a squeak, eek, eek, eek type.. or do you mean squeal as in a longer consistent noise?

If the continuous version i would be investigating the power steering pump, belt maybe as the sound seems to be under load / use.

If the mousey eek, quiet, eek, quiet, , eek  type noise bushes "sounds" (!!!!) favourite...as Dave says loosen , lube and retighten and see what happens.

• Clap Hands 1

8 hours ago, PTR200S said:

So is it a squeak, eek, eek, eek type.. or do you mean squeal as in a longer consistent noise?

If the continuous version i would be investigating the power steering pump, belt maybe as the sound seems to be under load / use.

If the mousey eek, quiet, eek, quiet, , eek  type noise bushes "sounds" (!!!!) favourite...as Dave says loosen , lube and retighten and see what happens.

More eek eek eek, gets better then worse... Really intermittent like this morning it did it over most bumps... 

• Like 2

• Moderators

hmmm, I can't get my head around the fact the noise is intermittent..if you stand in front of the car with the bonnet up and someone rotates the steering wheel backwards and forwards do you get it then?  .......could still be a belt or bearing noise off the steering pump...

you need to go methodically through everything now..really need to find at least the area from where the sound is emanating from..start with the easy stuff,belts, bushes before moving on to bearings and the like.

• Like 1