Subscriptions & Donations ×

Suspension & Steering Noises & Knocking 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

No idea  how to upload videos on here!

Very easy! Upload your video to YouTube as normal, click the "Share" button and a link appears with a "Copy" button. Click that and then in your post, right click where you want the video to appear then click "Paste".

Submit your post as normal, job done!

I know it's easy because if i can do it, anyone can! Many moons ago i used to fault-find/repair to component level on computers - that's the hardware side. As soon as software became involved, it might as well be a hybrid language of Swahili, Outer Mongolian and Martian for all the sense it makes to me!

1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Very easy! Upload your video to YouTube as normal, click the "Share" button and a link appears with a "Copy" button. Click that and then in your post, right click where you want the video to appear then click "Paste".

Submit your post as normal, job done!

I know it's easy because if i can do it, anyone can! Many moons ago i used to fault-find/repair to component level on computers - that's the hardware side. As soon as software became involved, it might as well be a hybrid language of Swahili, Outer Mongolian and Martian for all the sense it makes to me!

Thank you! I  am fairly tech savvy but uploading vids etc seems beyond me these days 🤣 I have a new 4k Toshiba tv at home and I can't get Freeview through the coaxial aerial cable, bloody thing wont find any channels!

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

I have a new 4k Toshiba tv at home and I can't get Freeview through the coaxial aerial cable, bloody thing wont find any channels!

Depending where you are and what sort of aerial you have, you may need an aerial upgrade to a high-gain jobby, perhaps with different shaped elements to catch the digital signal better. Also soldered connections on the co-ax centre pin often help, sometimes an aerial booster can help too and in extreme cases, you may need a masthead amplifier/booster for the signal.

Might be an idea to visit a local tv/aerial place if such an independent animal still exists in your area.

Back to the main subject of the post, uploading videos to YouTube really is easy, the one thing i often forget is to click the "Finish" button after uploading so the Share link doesn't work!

Other than that, just follow the on-screen instructions from YT and you shouldn't have a problem. ;):D

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a little update on "squeak gate".. Got a tech from work to have a look/listen(he is Land Rover trained so used to finding faults!) And nothing, every time is goes near a technician or ramp the noise disappears! Couldn't detect any play in anything either... Noticed that when it rains the noise goes or at least becomes far less noticeable 🧐 Anyway drove to Wales tonight from Essex and under braking she pitches/pulls to the right and when you throttle and let off it seems to pitch/pull to the left, bizarre

• Confused 1

• Moderators

Seems as if you have a number of faults ? What about clicking sound, is that gone ?

Just wondering if you actually have two faults now? Different???

The braking pull to right suggests an imbalance under braking between the left and right front calipers. I would start again there, looking for a sticky piston or slider pin.

The pull back to the left on throttle/off still suggests a sticky caliper........

Squeaking disappears when wet still seems classic rubber bush problem......

I know you have been all over it several times but that braking problem pitch is just that, a brake problem....it maybe the LEFT caliper that is the problem, not pulling hard enough to match the stopping power of the right side...

Without first hand driving the car its all guess work but if it was me I would strip the calipers starting with the left and go through them both checking sliders, seals, pistons for corrosion etc...

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, DeanoCoupe said:

under braking she pitches/pulls to the right and when you throttle and let off it seems to pitch/pull to the left, bizarre

In addition to what Pete has suggested, i strongly suggest you look at the brake reaction bar/tie bar bushes, if these are worn or in the wrong way round, they will cause this.

B__2710.jpg

Parts 10 & 11 on the diagram - note the bushes are fitted larger end closest to the cross memeber, counter-intuitive when you look at it but correct.

Also if the wheel alignment is out, this will also cause it. The rear wheel alignment needs to be checked first, followed by ensuring the rack is centralised (most wheel alignment places/tyre bays DO NOT KNOW how to do this!) and then the front wheel alignment.

It's possible that if the brake reaction bar bushes are worn, they can squeak and click/clunk but not as likely as other bushes. As pete suggests, you probably have more than one problem!

9 hours ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Well, a little update on "squeak gate".. Got a tech from work to have a look/listen(he is Land Rover trained so used to finding faults!)

If something on a Land-Rover squeaks, clunks or any other abnormal noise - you know it's still there and working so you leave it alone! :P

Conversely if it doesn't leak oil, you add oil as a matter of urgency! :P

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Hmmm it all comes back to wether I want to do this,  I  might have a little windfall coming of around 1500 quid so if I thought I could totally sort my car for that I would, or I save a little and get something else for around 2k+

Can a really tidy Lexus IS200 for that money, or a later model Accord type S???

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Can a really tidy Lexus IS200 for that money, or a later model Accord type S???

Both of which will reduce in value during your ownership, unlike your Coupe. Lately i've heard some less complimentary things on the IS200, particularly the diseasel with petrol ones not being far behind - seems Toyota have dropped a clanger with the badge engineered Avensis! :P

Yes, i know the IS200 has a different engine etc but  do some research and see what is said about them before taking that kind of decision. As for the Type S, sooner or later you'll find squeaks and rattles in that too, i'd say you're better off sorting what you've got. ;):D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Both of which will reduce in value during your ownership, unlike your Coupe. Lately i've heard some less complimentary things on the IS200, particularly the diseasel with petrol ones not being far behind - seems Toyota have dropped a clanger with the badge engineered Avensis! :P

Yes, i know the IS200 has a different engine etc but  do some research and see what is said about them before taking that kind of decision. As for the Type S, sooner or later you'll find squeaks and rattles in that too, i'd say you're better off sorting what you've got. ;):D

Cheers for the feedback! My other option is something totally different and I go back to a Swift Sport, 2009/10 model, cracking little cars. I suppose I just need Stu to have a look and say "Dean she is/isn't worth the spend"

• Like 2

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

My other option is something totally different and I go back to a Swift Sport,

That would be a better investment IMHO, they have quite a following. If they're anything like the original (1987/88) Swift GTi, they should go like stink and handle as if on rails.

That said, i still think you'd be better off keeping your Coupe and sorting the niggles as any "new" car you buy will have niggles and problems, sometimes cleverly hidden so they don't show for a few months.

They are fab cars, very reliable,  well rust proofed as more modern. Different type of car to the Coupe, thrash it on the b roads and get 30+ mpg! For me at the moment its potentially more than double what the Coupe is currently worth putting it right then waiting for the next 20 year old car related fault/issue... For example if it needs calipers then its bloody expensive and from US

• Like 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

For example if it needs calipers then its bloody expensive and from US

I get that but a little preventive maintenance and ensuring the correct procedure is used when changing the pads, the calipers tend to be reliable. Ultimately any car will need parts so in reality you're only swapping one for another.

I don't know what you're expecting to pay for a Swift but let's say £1500 for arguments sake. Remember the price you pay is way above the trade-in price or what you could pick one up for "on the block" at a local car auction.

Swifts haven't reached the trough of their value yet but the Coupe has and is now on the rise. While you have it, the value is going up, albeit slowly. With a Swift, it's value will be dropping, possibly not as slowly as the value of your Coupe is rising but falling nonetheless.

I'm not sure it's going to cost you twice what your Coupe is currently worth to sort its niggles but even when you do, the value of the car will still be rising. Invest a similar amount of money in a Swift and that will be reducing in value and still need stuff replacing.

Think your best bet is get your car to Stu, let him go over it and point out any imminent problems and work out how much to sort them and any not so urgent things that will be needed, again with an idea of how much to sort them. Then decide whether it's worth throwing £1500 at smomething newer that will depreciate in value or keeping the Coupe and getting/keeping it sorted while it appreciates.

All very good points and I am not disagreeing but are the Coupes actually increasing or going to increase in value?? For example I read modern classics and they do talk about other cars from the same era as the Coupe appreciating such as Prelude and even the Peugeot 406 Coupe but never any mention of the Accord Coupe as a potential "modern classic " . They don't seem to be a car that people covet, and I am a bit concerned it may just purely become a forgotten car of no real value regardless of how rare they are??

• Like 1

.....it probably seems like I am having a downer on the Coupe, I'm not really but I paid a lot for mine and feel like it just wasn't worth it which in turn makes me think twice about spending on her. So unless something I can't say no too appears in front of me I will get Stu give his honest opinion.  I appreciate everyone's feedback, help and advice 😃

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, DeanoCoupe said:

For example I read modern classics and they do talk about other cars from the same era as the Coupe appreciating such as Prelude and even the Peugeot 406 Coupe but never any mention of the Accord Coupe as a potential "modern classic " .

Let me ask you this - had you heard of an Accord Coupe before you bought one? I'm guessing not and neither have a lot of people. When i bought my last (and first) Accord Coupe which was the previous generation, i went to my insurance broker to sort the insurance, the conversation went something like this :

Me : I'm getting a new car so need to change the insurance over as of <date)

Broker : What are you getting this time?

M : Honda Accord 2.2iES

B : Saloon or Hatchback?

M : No

B : Saloon or Hatchback? (Looking miffed and giving me a "Stop pi55ing about!" look!)

M : No

B : Well.......what the f..fff.ff - what is it then?

M : Coupe

B : Why didn't you say so?

M : You didn't list that as an option! :P

<Big sighs from the broker>

Anyway, took him quite a while to find it in his database but got there in the end.

The point of all that is to illustrate to you that the Accord Coupe has never been a mainstream model which will ensure its exclusivity. The Prelude is much better known to the masses as it was more of a mainstream model. As for the Pug 406 Coupe, nice looking, courtesy of Pininfarina design but underneath, it's still a Peugeot with all the electrical gremlins built in at the factory. Not to mention the engines - for the V6 they started out with the old (original) PRV V6 and stretched it from 2664cc to 2946cc, mating a pair of 24v cylinder heads to it.

This was without the benefit of the revamp Volvo did on this engine around 1987 ish to create the B280E for Volvo models and a few others (Lancia Thema V6 and an Alfa Romeo homologation special kicking about 600bhp) so PSA started with essentially an ancient, unreliable engine (hence Volvo revamping it themselves) and tried to modernise it.

Thing is, you've been looking in Modern Classics which are biased towards the percieved popular modern cars that are just beginning to emerge as potential classics. Things like the Accord Coupe are unlikely to find their way into the pages of such magazines because there weren't that many sold originally compared to other things that were more mainstream.. Just means you need to be a little more patient and while you are, you're driving a very rare beast! ;):D

Your knowledge of various models/engines exceeds even my geekyness, very impressive. I shall see how it all goes I suppose, there are arguments to keep and arguments to let go at the moment and until I know just exactly what I am dealing with it's hard to be 100! But the thought of jumping into a tidy 2k ish Swift Sport is quite appealing at the moment 🙈

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Your knowledge of various models/engines exceeds even my geekyness, very impressive.

Thanks, all of my misspent youth! :P

Also worked on a few 406s (usually the diseasel things) among other Pugrots, now with my Volvo having the PRV V6 engine, i've done research on it and put 2 and 2 together.

• The topic was featured