Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Accord V6 Exhaust Help

semaj

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, PaulS said:

You could even possibly do it yourself with a scrap exhaust of the right section  & bends from a local breakers yard (or ehxaust place), and a couple of tin cans around the cuts and some jubilee clips, and teh exhaust sealant.  Not perfect, but will likely cost you around £20 and 3hrs work....

Even buying a new length of exhaust pipe and some service sleeves isn't going to be much more than £20, other exhaust parts are available on fleabay - Y-pieces. T-pieces, bends and so on. Same idea, just a little more "finesse" but i saved my front pipe for 10 years with the Jubilee clip and dog food tin trick - didn't leak and was strong enough to keep passing the MoT all that time. ;):D

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Torogo said:

i dream of finding a fabricator to do the job for around £500 as referenced in this chat

MIJ Performance in Walsall seem to be the most consistent with custom exhausts and the last Accord Coupe V6 I know of had his done for £430 back in January. (CAT Back)

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 2

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I’ve currently got a bean-can wired round the break mainly to keep the rear box supported - even without any exhaust paste I’m amazed how quiet the exhaust still is in it’s broken form! 

Ive dropped a note to MIJ as suggested by Stuart, cos for that money I’d be happy to drive the 2hrs to get a new stainless system on there - very aware that the exhaust is quite visible from the tail, and the existing one just lets the car down, whether made gas-tight or not.

i guess having sold my ‘modern’ to run this not-yet-classic quality motor, I’m quite pleased to see values edging up, and to spend on improvements some of what I’m saving on depreciation. Six months into my ownership of this 22yr-old gem, and everything just keeps running right. A last crack at proper motoring before the Electrics take over the world! (The missus runs a Jazz PHEV, so I have a taste of the way the world is heading, and it’s not pretty!)

Thanks for keeping us all on the road as our always rare Hondas get ever rarer 👍

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Torogo said:

i guess having sold my ‘modern’ to run this not-yet-classic quality motor, I’m quite pleased to see values edging up, and to spend on improvements some of what I’m saving on depreciation. Six months into my ownership of this 22yr-old gem, and everything just keeps running right. A last crack at proper motoring before the Electrics take over the world!

My "modern" is 27 years old now and has enjoyed classic status for several years now. It's also powered by a Honda V6 and as long as you keep on top of servicing etc, it also keeps running right, just like any other Honda powered vehicle of the time.

As for electrics, i've made my views clear on the other threads on the forum pertaining to EVs but the short version is i belive they are a passing fad and will be dropped like a hot potato when a better alternative is found - not until there's been stupidly expensive investment in infrastructure but that electricity has to come from somewhere and could have even more of a significant impact getting it from wind and hydroelectric than using fossil fuels to provide it.

Again, lack of thought and/or foresight/knowledge will lead the unwitting into a dead end hole, led y the greeny eco-warriors because they can only see the short term solution.

Just like the diesel fad that started 40 years ago and has now been proved to be ruinous to the world, the atmosphere and our health - worse than what they were saying petrol was!

My dad bought a metallic blue Rover 827 Sterling Coupe in 1992 from new, and ran that for about 10years. Lovely car, and doubtless one of the influences to my wanting a bit of that styling and luxury 20years on. Still saw a few around as recently as 10years back, but prone to scabby rear arches by that point. Come to think of it, I also visited Austin Rover plant at Cowley in the late 80s, and saw the 800s being assembled on a factory tour (on the north side of the site, as an enclosed conveyor/bridge linked the two sides of the Cowley plant, over the ring road, ahead of the BMW/Mini era. 

Am pleased his Lairdship is keeping the Rover corner of the Honda UK story alive 👍👍

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Torogo said:

My dad bought a metallic blue Rover 827 Sterling Coupe in 1992 from new

Now there's a funny thing............. he didn't! He would have bought a Rover 827 Coupe. Rover decided that as the only Coupe to be offered (until the BMW takeover in 1996) would have the 2.7 engine and be 85% hand-finished to Sterling spec, they didn't need to officially call it a Sterling. The idea was that being the Coupe, that was enough.

That said, many owners retrofitted Sterling badges as the previous owner of mine did. There should be a thread about it on here somewhere ("What a palaver..") which started out as the story of renewing the heater valve but gradually progressed through many other things including fitting an LPG conversion.

I've still got the Sterling saloon, my aim is to make it how Rover should have done it in the first place (in my opinion of course) and have changed a few things, built a custom radiator grille and some other things. Most of the upgrades/modifications are hidden until you want/need to use them though. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Torogo said:

MIJ quote just in at £450, so will be booking-up for a trip to the Midlands!

They are very good and I will be getting my odyssey done there at some point, just insist on a quiet exhaust 🤫 unless you fancy something fruity. 🤐

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about it, you are right about the ‘sterling’ bit; had all the spec, but no need for badges. An auto would have suited my dad better; I recall he used to skip the even numbered gears -probably cut his teeth on the 3-speeders of the fifties! Still the Rover had the torque to handle it - beautiful car.

meanwhile the trip to MIJ in the W. Midlands has been completed, and am delighted with the quality and appearance of the system; they plainly know their stuff, and I did stick with standard spec, so no rude-boy soundtrack or quad pipes. Car rubs very sweet, and was pleased with the spec-up in fuel economy associated with this longer journey - over 300 miles in the day and plenty left in the tank (it’s the most miles/longest journey I’ve ventured in a day since I bought her in November.

the only slight bummer is that they used the electric mirror adjustment to crank down for reversing onto the ramps, and the ‘up motor’ appears not tho be interested so lane-changing on the M40 proved a bit hairy on the return (have since teased it back up manually, but if anyone knows the likely fix, I’d be keen to know (all is well with the drivers mirror, so it can’t be the switch!)

finally Stu, you should have seen a paypal payment come through for £45 - just the forum advice on using MIJ for the exhaust saved me hundreds over the local ‘powerflow’ alternative, so a wee contribution to website costs seemed the least I could do! 

Did take some exhaust pics up in the ramp if of interest - not sure if I have upload rights, but happy to share 👍

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Torogo said:

the ‘sterling’ bit; had all the spec, but no need for badges. An auto would have suited my dad better; I recall he used to skip the even numbered gears

If memory serves correctly, there were only ever 44 manual 2.7 Sterlings made for the UK market, not sure on the Coupe but i only know of one, that's White Gold 2 and living in south London. There may be another black one in Yorkshire but that might be auto, can't remember. I do know of a manual Mk1 827 Vitesse in Sweden and i can never remember if his manual Coupe is a 2.0 turbo or a C27 V6...........

1 hour ago, Torogo said:

the ‘up motor’ appears not tho be interested

1 hour ago, Torogo said:

(all is well with the drivers mirror, so it can’t be the switch!)

If it goes down, it must go up - same motor! Therefore the fault is probably with the switch, a bit of "exercise" with the power off then try it might just fix things.

The other motor in the mirror does left/right, if you think about it logic says there's no need for 4 motors to do up and down, left and right when it's easier to reverse the motor direction.

Good to hear your new exhaust sounds good and you're happy with it! ;):D

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Torogo said:

Did take some exhaust pics up in the ramp if of interest - not sure if I have upload rights, but happy to share 👍

So pleased you got the exhaust sorted @Retro Rich was the one who used them a good while ago and I was impressed with the work they did on his Triumph Acclaim and their customer service, I have been recommending and using them ever since. 👍

2 hours ago, Torogo said:

finally Stu, you should have seen a paypal payment come through for £45

Thank you again, every bit helps 😁👍

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 2

• Administrators
On 6/13/2021 at 9:10 AM, Torogo said:

Feel free to email the pictures to me, more than happy to add them to the topic above 😉 : hughezee@live.co.uk

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Help also needed!!

With windows down, mine just started with a burble and stink. Looks to have started letting go at the rear join of that mid section part. I think a few more pot holes and speed bumps its gonna snap off and ruin me. Typical just as summer hols and trips are planned in.

Is that part/section available do we know or not?? Thanks 😔

• Like 2

• Moderators

You mean where it splits into two to head to the silencers?  The "Y" section?

Wonder if MIJ now have enough information on the V6 exhaust to produce the parts for sale?? 

Order what you need, just like a supplier, and send out for you to fit.....

• Clap Hands 1

On 4/21/2021 at 8:25 PM, Chrismas said:

Is this not the catalyst? 

20210421_202346.jpg

20210421_202120.jpg

This is where mine has let go. The rear join of pipe into resonator ☹

Do other models of the era have this section which can be picked up. Or could it be cut out and straight through? Any other ideas welcome. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Andy Mc said:

Do other models of the era have this section which can be picked up

Nope, you could retrofit a 7th generation 2.4 Accord or even an S2000 CAT back exhaust but it's not a direct fit.

Or could it be cut out and straight through?

Definitely not, it will rob the car of power, I have seen the results first hand.🖐️

Any other ideas welcome. 

I would just get it welded up if it is a clean-ish break in the pipe.👉

• Like 4

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Definitely not, it will rob the car of power, I have seen the results first hand.🖐️

I can second this on a C27 engine - had a 2.5" system and it made it as flat as a fart in terms of performance, thirsty and noisy.

Honda spent a lot of money developing not only the VTEC system but the air intake including the resonator system and (not sure if the J30 has them but the C27 does) the variable length intakes. To make those work effectively for the engine rather than against the engine, the exhaust needs to be fairly specific as well. As such, any change to it is generally a bad move.

8 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I would just get it welded up if it is a clean-ish break in the pipe.👉

If it's not actually on the "Y" piece but on a straight section, consider using one of those service joints that are in simple terms, a long Jubilee clip (about 8" long although some shorter are available) that will clamp down on the pipes (one pipe in two sections because of the break) and seal it to MoT standard. Two of them can be seen in this pic, one stood up, the other laying down :

IMG-20170823-130529225.jpg

IMG-20170823-134120231.jpg

In the second pic, it's on the inlet to the back box, ready to fit. That was August 2017 and it's still on the car and still not leaking!

Alternatively, if it is on the "Y" piece, you could buy three service joints and a new "Y" piece at the correct angle, cut out the old one and fit the new one with the service joints.

• Like 3

Thanks for input. Its right on the join with the resonator. As in the bit that's circled red on Chrismas's photo. A combo of pipe and resonator so not looking good for a fix.

Messaging a few breakers to see if a section is available for chopping out.

• Moderators

The one problem with breakers is they might literally chop it out and also, a secondhand box won't be that much better than what you've already got - oops, that's 2 problems! :P

This might be a better idea :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121507563608

You'll need to check the length and pipe diameters but getting a small resonator/silencer and fitting it, possibly with a pair of those service joints i mentioned will give you an effective repair without breaking the bank. Just make sure the new silencer is as close as possible to the original size and the start of the silencer body is in the same place as the start of the existing silencer body.