Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Accord V6 Exhaust Help

semaj

Cheers Dave, what is the difference between a resonator and a silencer then??

Would this be suitable for the vtec?

And yeh i know regarding breakers but desperate and lack of obvious options didn't help. If condition was ok a length cut either side attached with a couple of sleeves was my thinking and better than dropping in two at any moment

• Like 1

• Moderators

The main difference is a resonator doesn't provide much silencing, just helps smooth the gas flow - a silencer will do the same but also lose some decibels. That's a very simplistic explanation as it gets quite involved but probably good enough to explain the main difference.

As long as it's a similar size and correct pipe sizes a silencer will do the same job, even on a VTEC but a straight through pipe won't because the gas can't expand in the housing. It's where this gas is able to expand in relation to the distance from the exhaust valves that gives the tuned length of the exhaust, by using a straight pipe you move that position to one further along the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_exhaust

That gives you more of an insight into pulse tuning, tuned length exhaust systems etc and then remember Honda have also applied the same theory to the inlet side and then used VTEC which alters things further.

Have you ever noticed though how all Honda exhausts sound similar, whether it's on a 4 pot Civic running carbs or a V6 PGM-Fi VTEC equipped J30/35 engine? All down to exhaust tuning and obviously intake tuning too.

There is a rumour that the then president watched Ferraris on the Grand Prix circuit and when he returned to Japan, ordered that the S600 (yes, it was that long ago!) exhaust be tuned to sound like the Ferrari GP cars. Surprisingly clever move! ;):D

Offending article. 12" in length and 4" broad with 2" pipes either side. Hope thats correct?

The rear is pretty much entirely loose and just sat in the hole held by rot. I daren't drive it but its only car i have on the road 😖 I doubt there's much worth cleaning up and welding. 

Also noticed the Honda writing with ER and an arrow ⬅️ But pointed towards the front, i presume it would indicate flow and should be pointing out the back way 🤔

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9s31p0qzz3mmjfm/20210703_122728.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpqlo9gjjf11vs9/20210703_124744.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmnuf01mxv55rza/20210703_122736.jpg?dl=0

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hughezee said:

Definitely not, it will rob the car of power, I have seen the results first hand.🖐️

I have noticed its down on power and lethargic. Needed an hours round trip down the motorway and back yesterday. Just stuck it in cruise and took it easy instead. 

I'm thinking this looks suitable, same 4" diameter and inlet and outlet at 2.5 so i guess that'd help with fitting and clamping?

Its 14" long instead of 12 which will give me something to play with in case of rot leaving me short is my thinking. I'm no expert clearly so will happily be told otherwise!

Look at this on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184340595508

• Like 2

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

I have noticed its down on power and lethargic. Needed an hours round trip down the motorway and back yesterday. Just stuck it in cruise and took it easy instead. 

I'm thinking this looks suitable, same 4" diameter and inlet and outlet at 2.5 so i guess that'd help with fitting and clamping?

Its 14" long instead of 12 which will give me something to play with in case of rot leaving me short is my thinking. I'm no expert clearly so will happily be told otherwise!

Look at this on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184340595508

Definitely looks worth a punt ..

Get a sleeve made up to take up the 2 inch to 2.5 inch difference.

Push comes to shove get a company to expand short length of pipe 2 inch one end 2.5 the other.

MTC or PipeWerx , well known in the bike world, in Burscough, or Lathom Fabrications will probably do them.  All just up the road for you,,,,ish !!!      I know PipeWorx do as I have had them done, both sleeve and expanded pipe.  Also had PipeWerx make custom cat back exhaust for my Legend Coupe many moons ago and they have all the gear to do it with 😁

• Like 2

• Moderators

Not sure i'd trust cheap Chinese stainless steel to be honest! :o

I'd go for one of these instead, much simpler to fit, use a pair of service joints suitable for 2" pipe, cut the old one out and fit this in place :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121507563608

Sizes are identical to what's in there as well. ;):D

• Like 2

We'll see how i get on. Was tempted just to take a punt on the green low miler in Carlisle. No reserve! But mot says its had rust issues since just 5k miles 🤔??

So you'd say sleeves instead of standard exhaust u-clamps and paste on the 2.5" from new part over the 2" standard pipes?

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Not sure i'd trust cheap Chinese stainless steel to be honest! :o

I'd go for one of these instead, much simpler to fit, use a pair of service joints suitable for 2" pipe, cut the old one out and fit this in place :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121507563608

Sizes are identical to what's in there as well. ;):D

Thats a good possibility too, complete with sleeves! Although as it says " not a one size fits all " 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Why not get it down to PipeWerx,  on the ramp, let them see if they can offer a solution?

PipeWerx is the bike lot but right next door is the car place, Pipe Werx Cars Ltd,  the "same" company.

http://pipewerxcars.com/

They build stuff from scratch like the Walsall crew, if not, then literally around the corner to Lathom Fabrications see if they can help repair the existing.?

http://www.lathommotorcraft.co.uk/exhausts.html

• Like 2

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

So you'd say sleeves instead of standard exhaust u-clamps and paste on the 2.5" from new part over the 2" standard pipes?

Definitely sleeve it somehow, crushable sleeve gasket maybe , 2.5 inch down to 2 inch is too much...it WILL leak with just a clamp and paste....

• Like 2

Tempted by the pipewerx just up the road for an evaluation and price as I've got monday morn off, so likely wander up. Probably a bit high end though and £££ no harm in asking though. Got a lot of expenses coming soon to consider so a cheaper shop and chop is likely. 

Looking at getting my Bora back on the road which can do all the donkey work whilst coupe can get some time spent on it without the pressure of quickly patching up because its needed.

• Like 2

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

Tempted by the pipewerx just up the road for an evaluation and price as I've got monday morn off, so likely wander up. Probably a bit high end though and £££ no harm in asking though. Got a lot of expenses coming soon to consider so a cheaper shop and chop is likely. 

Looking at getting my Bora back on the road which can do all the donkey work whilst coupe can get some time spent on it without the pressure of quickly patching up because its needed.

Give Lathom Fabrications a look, they are not as " high end" as you say !!!

All you want in both cases to ask is..." can you fix this?"   Let them come up with a solution first !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

NO!!!!!!

Look at the sizes on the one i linked to!

s.gif435.jpg

No need to go anywhere near 2.5" adaptors! :o

• Like 1

Not to worry Dave the hornet is definitely on my list! Wasn't looking at adapter sleeves as the other silencer has inlet/outlet at 2.5 ready to slide over existing 2" standard pipes.

Going to see what those businesses have to offer first. If price isn't too far off then it'll be worth it, being done and dusted by experts in no time rather than me and a face full of crud and cocked up no doubt.

I am surprised there appears to be no hanging joints along that fairly long stretch to help with load.

• Like 2

Up on ramps for a quote at Lathoms this morning, weighed it up and booked it in for weds, price was where I'd expected and was happy with. Time and weather etc against me this week so I'm paying the expert this time round.

"Oh I've done a few of these" went straight to the Y join even though I'd said where it was, and sure enough that was leaking too ☹

"they always go here, pipes are never great but boxes tend to last"

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

Yes and thanks again for advice and input. Donation to the forum made!

Give me a sunny, child and wife free weekend i more than likely would tackle it as its not rocket science. 

Asked for a quote on the Y join too. Hopefully not too high if he's done several and has the technique down. 🤞

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

In all honesty, it would probably be cheaper to get the Y piece done at the same time rather than as two separate jobs, makes his life easier from the point of view of doing both jobs.

Will also give you more of a difference when you drive it home................ ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

Up on ramps for a quote at Lathoms this morning,

Excellent !! 

Glad they can help, was definitely worth the call if the price is right!!

I haven't used them for a while but good to know they are still on the case 😁

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

8 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

In all honesty, it would probably be cheaper to get the Y piece done at the same time rather than as two separate jobs, makes his life easier from the point of view of doing both jobs.

Will also give you more of a difference when you drive it home................ ;):D

I agree, completely forgot at the time. So called them when i got back. Gaffa was out, never got back to me 😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wanted £90 for the Y join. Said its just a small bit of the weld and not a big issue, so left it.

Anyway some feedback. Its only when you get a job done like this you realise how noisy it had become. The silence was instantly noticeable and pulling away from the place and whooosh it just went with little effort, regained a big lump of low down torque and some. Massive difference! The part used looks similar to the hornet resonator Dave put forward so a bit smaller than original spec. Its welded in place too. And that's the other thing walking towards the car you can no longer see the exhausted hanging low along the mid section. Not sure how i covered as many miles as i did in that condition. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

That seems a bit £OUCH! on the Y piece to be honest. Perhaps if you can find the leak, wire brush around it and while the exhaust is hot (and dry), mix some Chemical Metal/JB Weld/similar and use it is an exhaust putty. Most will smooth out with a damp finger before they set so you can make it almost invisible then a bit of paint over the whole section will hide it further.

Obviously that is only a semi-permanent repair but should see you through a few MoTs at least. Then if you decide the car is a keeper, consider getting a complete stainless system for the car.

• Like 1