Subscriptions & Donations ×

Dave's Coupe "THE END"

hughezee

• Administrators

Member, Dave had an unfortunate incident with his coupe recently :( all signs look good for a repair on a surface inspection, but I will be comparing costs against project black soon to be renamed project mist as it's getting a colour change (mystic blue) as Dave showed a healthy interest in it. Nevertheless, we will see how the assessment of his car goes first and factoring in its high miles etc.

IMG-20170831-134413%5B1%5D.jpgIMG-20170831-153608%5B1%5D.jpgIMG-20170831-153619%5B1%5D.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Site Subscriber’s

Good to see Stu again, though it could have been in better circumstances I was planning on going to Stu's at the end of the month but things have moved forward again. The truth is that I am torn between resurrecting my manual 2.0 or embracing the V6 and the auto box that comes with it. Yoda will guide me :)

• Like 4

• Administrators

The lower ball joint failed, it was something that was playing on David's mind as I helped him loosen axle nut as it was something he was going to tackle himself, but since it sailed through MOT retest after we sorted the brakes at coupes & coffee it wasn't addressed. Then it developed a fuel leak from the tank then this happened,  the CV joint and drive shaft are all mashed up and obviously needs a replacement wing, but I have that covered. Some good news, is I lubed up all the sub frame bolts and now they are coming out easily, but not counting my chickens yet but it's looking good for full recovery atm.

• Like 3

• Founding Member

I can only empathise with your anguish after my wife's accident a bit back.  It is devastating when it happens like that. I do hope it can be repaired properly and keep on going - after all it is relatively minor damage....

• Like 3

• Moderators
17 hours ago, davebrads said:

Good to see Stu again, though it could have been in better circumstances I was planning on going to Stu's at the end of the month but things have moved forward again. The truth is that I am torn between resurrecting my manual 2.0 or embracing the V6 and the auto box that comes with it. Yoda will guide me :)

Perhaps resurrecting the manual, selling on and having the V6 as a replacement ? ;)

Or is the manual too far gone on repair cost to selling ratio? If so is it a breaker and take V6 anyway?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Any news on the patient and the transplant ?:rolleyes:

I've been extremely busy lately and no sign of a break anytime soon, nevertheless most of the damaged parts are off the car, but I cannot raise the rear of the car safely to remove the fuel tank until the new parts are fitted to level it. The parts should be arriving by the weekend then I will crack on so Dave can have it back ASAP, plenty of pictures to follow.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Well finally making some progress after the last of the parts arrived Tuesday :rolleyes: so inner arch repaired, painted & sealed up, new lower ball joint fitted, new wheel bearing fitted. Just the assembly of all parts including a good salvaged upper arm, New ABS sensor and a brand New (all shiny :wub:) drive shaft earmarked for tomorrow, then it's back on all four wheels in preparation for the fuel tank repair or swap.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Made some great progress today with Dave's assistance ;) dropped the subframe and found a tiny pinhole in the tank which qualified for a repair IMO :D so we stripped & wire brushed off all visible surface rust treated, then applied some tank repair resin Dave had already purchased. Followed by further corrosion prevention and sealed the whole tank in my proven wax seal product. Another wax sealing will be done over the next couple of days whilst I reassemble the rest of the car.

IMG-20171007-103207%5B1%5D.jpgIMG-20171007-103222%5B1%5D.jpgIMG-20171007-150543%5B1%5D.jpg

The tank fix kit wasn't used sparingly, and even drilled a hole in the leak area and injected the resin into the tank to plug it fully.

IMG-20171007-150519%5B1%5D.jpg

We even managed to replace both rusty rear springs with some AhsyV6 donated to the club.

• Like 3

• Founding Member
16 minutes ago, hughezee said:

We even managed to replace both rusty rear springs with some AhsyV6 donated to the club.

Glad they were of use to someone......I found my OEM shocks the other day which have only done 42k miles......I'll donate those too next time I see you Stu.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Almost done now and looking to hand the keys back to Dave midweek sometime. :)

IMG-20171013-114424.jpgIMG-20171013-125647.jpgIMG-20171013-121451.jpg

IMG-20171013-124738.jpgIMG-20171013-124754.jpg

IMG-20171013-132654.jpg

All welded and painted, sealed, a mix of sealer and wax doesn't look pretty atm but still needs finishing off.

IMG-20171013-175410.jpg

Somebody apparently replaced the rear brakes pipes or made an attempt,  F.F.S do it properly. :angry:

• Like 3