Subscriptions & Donations ×

Davanti DX390 Tyres "205 55 R16"

PTR200S

• Moderators

I heard those crossclimates were good too but like Dave i dont like Michelin...bad experience on bike, having said that there is a pair on the back of the Coupe  standard Michelin stuff that came with the car.

TVR boys are on Rainsport or Toyo.....

Using a pair of  Dunlop Sport Blueresponse on one of the Jazz that seem pretty good but then the Jazz is only a hairdryer with four wheels !!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cryistic said:

the davanti's are the 2nd and in come cases 3rd set of tires they have fitted as the seem to wear quickly,

Just to be clear, i dont need to check the tyre pressures as they are checked once a week at our car club as part of the lease agreement so that really isn't an issue.  All of the cars are manuals.

Davanti are pushing into the UK aggressively and offering decent kickbacks to the fitters on tyres sold, which is probably why the pool cars have them fitted as they don't seem much cheaper than decent lower cost brands like Khumo,Falken and Avon.

Wearing quickly? Be interested to know how many miles rather than time...also the code model, ...just wondering if mine are headed off anytime soon !

Ok, so pressure not the problem   .....

That explains the push , however i got my tyres two years ago and they were cheaper than the budget brands at that time , that's how they hook people in ..

They performed great from the off as i said from page one on here, however, definitely got that standing start spin up you mentioned as the miles progressed ... 😈 

Still really stick to the road in the wet though.... A rated so they should be doing that anyway.

• Like 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

That explains the push , however i got my tyres two years ago and they were cheaper than the budget brands at that time , that's how they hook people in ..

Just before xmas 2016, i bought a set of four "Invovic" tyres for the Volvo, cost me just over £100 and at the time, they were selling for about £30-35 each on fleabay. They're at the upper end of budget radials, not quite ditch-finders but Chinese and were cheap. They're now a lot dearer and i have to admit, i'm impressed with them. Not sure how many miles i've done on them but according to my MoT history, about 7k miles. They still perform as they did when i first got them i'm happy to say.

Now they're a lot dearer on fleabay and anywhere else they can be found! ;):D

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I believe they were DX390s, 215/55 R16s.

Cant give you exact mileage figures but a couple of the cars are around 40k  so it's not surprising they are getting on for the 3rd set of boots.

We all have differing expectations for tyres i suppose, I'd never touch Pirelli or Vredestein after poor experiences with them in the past, but I'd happily use BF Goodrichs as I had a set on an XR4 that were superb for grip in all weathers and I generally rate Hankook tires highly.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cryistic said:

I'd never touch Pirelli or Vredestein after poor experiences with them in the past, but I'd happily use BF Goodrichs

Agreed, same here, BF Goodrich were the tyres of choice when we hoofing around in XR2/ XR3, CRX and Preludes,,,, never had the XR4 , sadly...😭

• Like 1

• Moderators

Funny thing is, down my neck of the woods in those days, the tyres to have were Pirelli or Kleber. Hankook were only just entering the country, cleverly wrapped round wheels on Hyundais so nobody noticed. They were pretty carp back then as well but have improved over the years.

As for BFG, they were way too slippy on something with a bit of poke!

Like i said further up somewhere and various other pkaces, i think the region has a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I have Michelin Cross Climates of my Merc E350 (275 HP) and am very happy with them on that car.  Using Nokian winter tyres on my Coupe at present and am very happy with them too - but will be back to my summer wheels and tyres after Easter....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

Further update on the Davanti tyres.... another year , almost, down the line and although I have not been using the Coupe a lot this year this last couple of months have shown that these tyres do not like cold and wet conditions...spinning very easily under moderate acceleration.

The lateral grip is still pretty good though and the tread is wearing evenly...I suspect that after three years the rubber is going hard, subjective though.

Having threatened to get the rear Michelins off last year, it didn't happen !

This year, after the MoT in a couple of weeks time (gulp) I will shift the Davanti to the back and get a new pair of front tyres for then test them for the rest of the winter months. Before anyone says anything, I don't subscribe to the crap about always putting new tyres on the back of front wheel drive cars..!!😛

Just got to decide what to put on, tempted by the Rainsport 3 having used them on the XK8 and of course a lot of the TVR lads now use them.

All though not keen on the Michelin stuff perhaps I should try the Cross climate stuff out.

Would I buy Davanti again?...well the price is up somewhat from the original 50 quid a corner, the older they get the worse they seem but not  even worn out.. probably would buy again if pushed but not for a car that is higher up the BHP stakes, perhaps for a Honda Jazz or base Civic maybe.

As a foil to the above, many people are complaining about wheel spin at the moment and all with different tyres, perhaps its not just the Davanti but the fact that most tyres are not really an all round year tyre as they used to be many moons, years, decades(?) ago !

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Got Falken Ziex ZE-914 tyres on my Rover, very good tyres! Dry, wet, hot, cold, doesn't seem to alter their grip, quiet and comfortable too! ;):D

Interesting that they are good in all weathers and yet they are classified summer tyres.... quiet as you say at 68 decibels....58 quid a corner at Mytyres. Plus fitting of course.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Interesting that they are good in all weathers

It could be i naturally slow down a little in bad weather but even when i haven't, i've not had any "botty-clenching moments" so for the use i put them to, i'd say yes, they are just as good in cold/wet weather as they are in warm/dry weather.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Showing higher fuel consumption and understeer in the wet !!!!! 

Hmmm, a lot of us have been complaining of higher fuel consumption in general lately, without changing our tyres!

As for understeer in the wet, that could also be caused by weak shocks so if that's only one report, i'd take it with a pinch of salt - if several people have complained of it then take more notice.

I couldn't find the reference to understeer in the wet and to be fair, we don't know how he was driving at the time, whether he was braking or there had been a diesel spill on the road previously.

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Hmmm, a lot of us have been complaining of higher fuel consumption in general lately, without changing our tyres!

As for understeer in the wet, that could also be caused by weak shocks so if that's only one report, i'd take it with a pinch of salt - if several people have complained of it then take more notice.

I couldn't find the reference to understeer in the wet and to be fair, we don't know how he was driving at the time, whether he was braking or there had been a diesel spill on the road previously.

The reference to understeer is in the autobild report but then again there are two different views for snow between them and autoexpress.

Just got to try them i guess !!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Just got to try them i guess !!!

Reckon that's your best bet Pete!

I'm always wary of a small portion of negative reports on products that have otherwise got good reviews, it makes me wonder if there are other faults such as shock absorbers, wheel alignment and also driver error.

Let's not forget that these days tyres are so much wider than they once were, cars have more sophisticated suspension systems that offer vastly increased grip over what we learned to drive in and that can give people a sense of being infallible and they think the same about their cars.

Therefore they believe there's no way there could be a fault such as knackered shocks, wheels out of alignment, diesel on the road or whatever, it HAS to be the tyres.

Even when it's so blatantly obvious that it's not! :P

• Clap Hands 1

• 3 years later...