Subscriptions & Donations ×

Davanti DX390 Tyres "205 55 R16"

PTR200S

• Moderators

Yes, got the left foot braking problem, :P left over from club racing a LOT of years ago....

I think the problem stems from the slow take up to get moving..tend to over push the throttle to compensate,  nothing like a manual getaway :rolleyes:

Anyway, update now is had no more spinning and it was definitely on right hand out of junctions/traffic lights. 

The hot news is that last night and today I have been able push really hard on a roundabout with a third road exit almost as quick as the S2K WITHOUT any sign of squirm or squeal, the limit being the suspension roll....although I am surprised just how well it corners maybe the tyres are up to something good :D

The weather is cracking at moment and even the bike boys are getting right over (knee down is pointless on the road :() so the roads are great...apart from potholes :angry:

Now the question is ; just how many miles will these tyres do? I reckon they are soft rubber and may not last long :(

• Like 3

• Moderators

I suspect you're right about the soft rubber so that might explain why they were a good price - they know you'll be back for more in 8000 miles! :o

Joking aside it's all a compromise - pay a lot more money and have a Michelin that lasts 100k miles (but grips like a wet lettuce on an ice cube) or pay less money and have something that grips the road like the proverbial dung on a duvet for 20-30k miles.

I know which i'd rather have and if a clue was needed, the first tyres to be removed from any car i buy are Michelins - even before Chinese Ditchfinders! :o;):D

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Update on the tyres, still only 800 miles in but I still like the feel , ride and general reduced noise from when I first drove it after I got it.

Most front wheel drive Hondas seem to suffer from understeer when under pressure but the coupe seems less than most.

I don't know if this is a result of the Davanti or a trait of the coupe but either way it feels good :D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just bobbed into tyre supplier, to get bike tyre repaired, one of the lads there said they had a few people coming back complaining about the Davanti tyres in that the shoulders were wearing prematurely :o

Apparently they are soft tyres, see comments above ! And as such heavy suv type cars seem to be the problem when the upright wheel stance "keels" over on tight corners.... seems prone to the school run park anywhere crowd though...he said ! 

Anyway, that said , i will be keeping a close eye on the outer shoulder wear on front tyres although i don't believe we will have that problem with coupes..not least of which it is not a suitable school run car , unless you know differently :P

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Another update me thinks.... All looking good at moment, driven about 100 miles yesterday in lashing rain, still sticks like the proverbial....ahem.... Can't see much in the way of wear, just short 2k miles....

How are your versions doing , Stu?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Its now late October, the roads are awash with leaves, mud etc..

Round our local roads the field mud from tractors and trailers is extensive due to the last chance clearance the farmers are doing to harvest the remaining crops from the fields.

I have been out this morning fully laden (:rolleyes:) and have been provoking the tyres a bit :D

They are really impressive in these conditions although it is possible to, relatively easily, wheelspin away from a standing start but the lateral grip on corners is very good and no understeer detected although I certainly could induce it... but then its possible with whatever tyres you have on with a decent power level applied:lol: in a front wheel drive motor.

I am still impressed with the level of grip 2000 plus miles in, still early days in the life of a tyre though .....

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Round our local roads the field mud from tractors and trailers is extensive due to the last chance clearance the farmers are doing to harvest the remaining crops from the fields.

The sugar beet campaign is on round my neck of the woods so the roads are covered with thick, sticky black stuff - and i don't mean the tarmac! :o

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Further update :rolleyes:

Tyres still performing well, although now we are into slippy roads created by the salt shoveling councils :angry: I can easily spin up the front, just need a bit more care.

The cornering ability is still rated at one over "great" but not "exceptional" but that may be to do with the rear Michelins getting a bit tired..

Conclusion is that I would buy these Davanti again but the tech will have moved on by the time I need them again:lol: so something else may be available !

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

Its now getting on for 18 months plus since the davanti tyres went on the front...still got the old tyres on the back though. 

Almost a year since the last report too !

Just 3000 miles under the tyres now, 6 months off the road whilst using the Tourer keeping the miles off it but not that many anyway...

Tread is wearing evenly , no shoulder wear to be seen, still gripping extremely well, very pleased, might even invest in a pair for the back soon.

Pics to follow once the car is clean again and the mud off the local tracks cleaned away.!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Here they are, 3k miles down the road so still looking good....as they should really at that mileage !! 🙄 

Davanti-tyre-3000-miles-3.jpg

Front left...., tread indicators ok and even wear with no rough spots..no shoulder wear discernible.

Davanti-tyre-3000-miles-2.jpg

Front right, same again with even wear..... no shoulder loss discernible.

Davanti-tyre-3000-miles-1.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

In another follow on,  these tyres i have determined that they don't work that well in sub zero temperature in wet weather although rated highly for rain performance.

As I have mentioned on another thread about renewing the rear tyres on the Coupe I might just shift these to the back and try another brand but maybe a winter version.

Other halfs first Jazz had winters on a few years ago, six to be precise, and they are still ok from all year round running even now... they are still good but getting close to renewal under the stewardship of my offspring....

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Our pool cars at work have Davanti tyres on them and they are awful in the wet and I thought they were not that impressive in the dry when I was out in one of the Ecoboost focus's that we use as pool cars, lots of wheel spin when I wouldn't expect it such as pulling off slowly, based on the evidence I've seen so far and what my colleagues have said I wouldn't entertain them, they also wore out quite quickly.

I have a set of new Avon ZX7 on the RX300 at the moment, very impressive so far, especially in the wet slush we had earlier in the month, I'm quite impressed for the price.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Cryistic said:

awful in the wet and I thought they were not that impressive in the dry when I was out in one of the Ecoboost focus's that we use as pool cars,

I've driven brand new Focus' (albeit 16 years ago) that did all of that and went straight on when i tried going round a bend at a sensible speed. Can't remember what tyres it was on, Michelin i think but "they all do that, sir!". The fault is the car, not the tyres!

The worst one was so new, it didn't even have number plates.

Another possibility is that being pool cars, nobody has checked the tyre pressures, or perhaps they've used a tyre pressure gauge that reads hopelessly under pressure so the tyres are rock-hard and have no grip.

For example, a couple of weeks back, girlfriend asked me to check her tyres as she hadn't done them for a couple of weeks due to the airline she normally used being out of action. All 4 tyres were exactly the same amount under what they should have been, think it was 10psi under on all 4 tyres. Checked them again the other day, all spot on so there isn't a leak/slow puncture on any of them and it would have to be some sort of weird slow puncture to effect all 4 the same way!

Before you ask - i know my tyre pressure gauge is accurate. ;):D

• Like 1

• Founding Member
12 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I've driven brand new Focus' (albeit 16 years ago) that did all of that and went straight on when i tried going round a bend at a sensible speed. Can't remember what tyres it was on, Michelin i think but "they all do that, sir!". The fault is the car, not the tyres!

The worst one was so new, it didn't even have number plates.

Another possibility is that being pool cars, nobody has checked the tyre pressures, or perhaps they've used a tyre pressure gauge that reads hopelessly under pressure so the tyres are rock-hard and have no grip.

For example, a couple of weeks back, girlfriend asked me to check her tyres as she hadn't done them for a couple of weeks due to the airline she normally used being out of action. All 4 tyres were exactly the same amount under what they should have been, think it was 10psi under on all 4 tyres. Checked them again the other day, all spot on so there isn't a leak/slow puncture on any of them and it would have to be some sort of weird slow puncture to effect all 4 the same way!

Before you ask - i know my tyre pressure gauge is accurate. ;):D

I'm an ex Focus owner (2003 Ghia TDci) and thats not really my experience with them at all, I thought they were quite a sweet handling car, within the standard Front wheel drive caveats, still the Astra diesel at work has Davantis on it as well and is just the same, though I feel quite proud at getting a Vauxhall diesel to wheel spin.

The sample is over 4 pool cars, 2 of which are diesels and 2 Focus Ecoboost Micro engine shitboxes without enough torque to pull the skin off of warm milk, I'm sure I could learn to drive within the limits of the tyres but I would rather pay a bit more and get Avons, Uniroyal Rainsports or Falkens. It's also a work car and I really dont rush when I drive one so it's not like I'm going all Stirling Moss on them when they let me out the lab.

Pool cars are checked by the garage we lease them off once a week (they are just down the road as it's a local garage owned by one of ex employees).

Still it is objective and others here have had much better experiences, so as always you have to weight the pros and cons up.

• Like 1

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Cryistic said:

Still it is objective and others here have had much better experiences, so as always you have to weight the pros and cons up.

I always liked Avons but nothing is a good as it once was 😡 and in recent years I have lost count the amount Avons fitted to customers cars which looked in horrendous condition after a couple of years including retro rich's former coupe. But as you say, Richie, its personal experience and mine was a good one, although a little noisy at the time and my experiment with Davantis I have to say they are better than my Avons. However, they're designed for the SUV market as I went for a bigger size and the Avon ZX7 is also an SUV tyre so they have to be better I suppose.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Something else that has an influence on tyres in general is where in the country you are. I've always liekd Pirellis but a lot of people don't. When i looked into the reviews online, i found they were all in one area - other areas said they were good.

Likewise with other brands, they all had their good and bad areas and it seems a lot of it is to do with the methods involved with road surface preparation and so on, also how well those roads are maintained.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Interesting that, Ritchie, the fact you can spin it up easily.....i said that a few times in my "reports" above and yet the lateral grip , certainly on the Coupe, is very good.

Pool cars at a place i used to work many years ago always handled like shite due to the abuse the different drivers handed out to them, had a lot of rentals do the same. 

How old are the tyres on the focus etc? You say wearing out quick? 

The wet weather rating on these particular tyres is A and is exactly that, very good but introduce colder temperatures and they are definitely not as grippy.

With all the dry weather recently but cold too i can introduce wheelspin at any pull off but do need to drop the clutch, as it were !, to do so !

I would say the traits of the auto box mask the tyre deficiencies slightly, that a manual box would show up.

What version of the Davanti are on those pool cars??? 

As Dave says, get the tyre pressure gauge out too,  just to be sure!!!!!

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I wouldn't know about the lateral forces as I really didnt feel like I had the confidence to press too much as the grip felt very limited. I know they are Davantis as the first time I drove on them I stopped at a station to see if the pressures were ok as they were so skittish.

The pool cars are leased through a local garage so condition is good and they are well looked after, the cars are no older than 4 years old and the davanti's are the 2nd and in come cases 3rd set of tires they have fitted as the seem to wear quickly, Bob who leases the cars to us is a company pensioner so we see him on sight a lot so he's aware of complaints about the pool cars.

Just to be clear, i dont need to check the tyre pressures as they are checked once a week at our car club as part of the lease agreement so that really isn't an issue.  All of the cars are manuals.

I got a set of Michelin Crossclimates fitted to the Volvo S90 and I was talking to the guy at Orbit tyres about what I had been offered at other fitters and he was telling me that Davanti are pushing into the UK aggressively and offering decent kickbacks to the fitters on tyres sold, which is probably why the pool cars have them fitted as they don't seem much cheaper than decent lower cost brands like Khumo,Falken and Avon.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I fell out with Michelin at the tender age of 6 years old! Had a pair on my pushbike that barely lasted a dog-watch and weren't very grippy. After eventually trying some cheapies they had in the bike shop i discovered a whole enw level of grip - and they lasted! Were about 1/3 the price of the Michelins too!

Over the years with cars, i've had similar experiences with Michelin to those bike tyres so wouldn't waste my money buying them.

More misguided French engineering! ;):D