Subscriptions & Donations ×

Davanti DX390 Tyres "205 55 R16"

PTR200S

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Sorry, I feel a bit guilty seeing as this is really Pete's Davanti Tyre thread - so apologies in advance.

Just wanted to point out that seeing as I have had the N8000's on for quite a while now, and under just about all conditions I can honestly say that they are "Very Good" as a Tyre and "Excellent" for the price! 

They have instilled straight away a fair bit of confidence in the car's handling capabilities, even when pulling out of my daughter's drive turning hard right and uphill in damp conditions into a busy and fast 'A' Road under hard acceleration sure, there was wheelspin, but not enough to hinder pulling away very smartish, and only for the briefest of time. I did more or less the same on the previous tyre and hard to release the accelerator because I was pretty much standing still!

And I've tried to see where the limit is under acceleration around a corner off-camber, and solid!

Noise levels, well a bit difficult with my exhaust setup, but I can't hear them at all...lol. :)

I think the Grading on them is pretty unfair to be honest and I'm glad I ignored it as they feel as good as the ContiProContact-2's I had on the R75.

Also I know you can get these for £55.00 fitted at Formula 1.

Or if you want to order them yourself:  https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s16p124867/Nexen_Tyres_Car_Nexen_N8000_Nexen_N_8000_-_225_45_R17_91W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_3_Noise%3A_74dB   (This being the cheapest I could find Online - mostly sell for £75 - £80)

And they're a good-looking tyre!

Don't feel guilty,Bill, its all good info and banter, that's what I like about this forum :D nobody is trying to get one up /stalking.  

Its helping each other enjoy what this site is all about''' THE HONDA ACCORD COUPE ! 

Used those Nexen before on an Aerodeck 2.2i and I thought they were grippy tyres too, bit noisy imho at higher speeds....

Still, at 55 quid who can argue !....presume that's fitted , balanced, new valve too?

That's what I paid for the Davanti, £110 for two  (sounds a bit Abba doesn't it, Davanti !:rolleyes: oh no, don't go there!)

• Like 2

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

See above Post - Forgot to Quote.... :(

No worries they look good @ a good price, have to say I favour higher side to the edge of the tyre due to the chamber on the coupe, although no issues since lowering ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just been watching that video of the Nexen, pretty good although that dump valve would do my 'ed in after a while!

The speed is in KPH I presume so he is mostly running around at about 60mph/70mph with blats up to just around 100 odds mph along the straight.

The grip is pretty good in that he was taking some cars that should have run rings around him:D Into the latter stages he started getting a lot of wheelspin...( was it raining more?) or his clutch was screwed! but he still pulled away from those he passed suggesting his tyre grip was exceptional compared to theirs... very impressed.  I wonder what BHP he was pulling?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Just been watching that video of the Nexen, pretty good although that dump valve would do my 'ed in after a while!

The speed is in KPH I presume so he is mostly running around at about 60mph/70mph with blats up to just around 100 odds mph along the straight.

The grip is pretty good in that he was taking some cars that should have run rings around him:D Into the latter stages he started getting a lot of wheelspin...( was it raining more?) or his clutch was screwed! but he still pulled away from those he passed suggesting his tyre grip was exceptional compared to theirs... very impressed.  I wonder what BHP he was pulling?

If you watch it in full screen on a larger sort of monitor Pete, you can see the speedo fairly easily although the half of it that shows the speed he's actually doing keeps getting shaded, i'm guessing by his hands on the wheel. Still easy enough to see it's in kph on the speedo and the relative position of the needle confirms the "heads up" speedo is in kph also.

I only watched a couple of minutes, that "duck valve" (sounds like a duck with a hernia AND a speech impediment! :o ) got right on my "thrupenny bits" and spoiled it somewhat for me. ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

Actually, having watched that vid, i'm wondering how much a set of 4 N8000s would be for my UAV now i've got the tracking sorted. I'll have a look on my preferred supplier of the moments site to see how they compare with the Falken Ziex Ze-914s i've more or less decided on. Sadly they don't appear to list them or perhaps the N8000 isn't available in 195/65HR15?

They don't list 60-profile either (original fitment 195/60/15, speedo over optimistic so was going for the optional 195/65) in N8000 so i'll stick to the ZE-914 Falkens. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

The Davanti tyres have done around 100 miles or so now....today, in lashing rain, I tested them for "stickabilty" on some "fast" roundabouts...

I will have to say they deserve their A rating for wet weather. It like the car is on rails, however, a note to myself reminds me they are NEW tyres and with minimal miles on. Most new tyres will be the same, so lets get a few more miles them first before giving them the thumbs up.:D

• Like 2

• Moderators

Quick update, really, err, HOT today :rolleyes:,,,, certainly by the past few weeks standards !

So much so it was sunglasses and almost tee-shirt weather... anyway, dry enough for me to try some spirited driving in a "controlled environment" :P 

The tyres are GOOD, very good in fact, in the wet they are wonderful but in the dry they are exceptionally sticky and no tyre squeal.... as yet, around 250 miles on them now.

I will provoke them sometime soon and see how they give (forgive?!) with some spirited cornering.... all in the interests of the  members that is :lol:

Pretty happy with them, of course they may be good now at the beginning of their driving experience but are they too sticky for longevity?

Depth check / wear rating at the 1000 mile mark I think:D

• Like 3

• Moderators

Another update for these tyres, absolutely p&£*ing down with rain this afternoon and I had to go somewhere, so took the Coupe as you do B)

Wipers working a treat by the way... for the first time I got major slippage on the front BUT to be honest it was uphill, on a short slip road onto a dual carriageway and I had to boot it to insert the car into the traffic. 

As I set off from standstill it let go so I let off the throttle slightly (manual traction control :rolleyes:) and it gripped immediately ... concerned that things were not as they should be a gave it some on a country road a few miles later....still grips nicely :D

To be fair it looks like it was just the situation it was in but definitely need to test these tyres some more, under adverse conditions, again who's to say that any other tyre would have been better ? so I am still pleased with them for the price, at the moment.:P

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hughezee said:

Thinking of getting 225/50R17 for mine and very tempted going the Davanti route, thanks for the honest update Pete ;)

Cheers, I have to say that I have rapidly gone off Chinese tyres as they have gone cheaper and cheaper with a corresponding drop in performance.

The fact that these have a British Design but are still Chinese manufacture worried me for a while, however, the fact the MX5 boys will hammer them this year, and next, in the race series sort of decided it for me......and the price !!:rolleyes:

Again, though, early days but will keep everyone posted on developments, if any,,,, if no update for a while then they are still in the good books!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Had the "opportunity" to drive it in thrashing rain last night, around 60 miles plus with water running across the roads everywhere...was in hilly country roads, so it was running off the fields on one side and across the road and down the other side, for at least half of the journey.:(

Even in that downpour the front stuck like glue, I pushed it to the point when the back tyres let go a couple of times... booting it brought it back in line so the fronts do as they say..."A" rated in the wet :D

I have had some cheap sh£t Chinese tyres in my time but these are really impressing me at the moment, mind you , for "British Designed" with Chinese rubber they are not quite in the cheap sh£t range.:rolleyes::P

The tyres are 350 miles old now so just about coming into their own ! 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Further update is the dry weather grip is pretty good, managed to get them to squeal on a "hot" 16C that we have had over the last few days but only when really provoked on a tight turn...on roundabouts I am now on the limit and restricted by the body roll, off the suspension.:rolleyes:

The only other time I got a squeal was on a downhill right hand turn off a traffic light...

it came from the passenger seat :D ............................but apparently she reckoned it was the front right tyre too !:lol:...

keep forgetting these things have no traction control and with the grunt at low revs its easy to provoke the front tyres off standstill...

Still, I am in the happy zone with them, 500 miles in now....

• Like 3

• Moderators

Are you on commission from Davanti UK Pete? :lol:

Seriously though i'm glad they are performing well. As for the squeal from the passenger seat, are you sure it wasn't more of a Whoopee cushion sound as she pooped herself? :huh::lol:

Got to love traction control though, saved me a bowl-lock-king about 17 years ago at work. Trying to get into the traffic mid-afternoon (i was on 6-2 at the time) was a nightmare as it was one of the major roads out of Bournemouth. Two of us left at the same moment, i turned left to go home, the other car turned right towards the town/beach etc but wasn't seen because he tucked in behind a big artic once he was on the other side of the road. He laid rubber though for quite a while.

Because i was the only one seen, it had to be me wheelspinning out of the works car park so my boss had a go at me. I chucked him my car keys and told him to go and get it to wheel spin. Not ignoring the fact it had Lotus tuned suspension as standard, it also had traction control so wouldn't wheelspin.

Watching him back-pedal was almost as funny as his apology when he asked why i wanted him to get it to wheelspin and i pointed out it had traction control and Lotus-tuned suspension. - you don't expect those on a Daewoo lol! :lol:

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Are you on commission from Davanti UK Pete? :lol:

Seriously though i'm glad they are performing well. As for the squeal from the passenger seat, are you sure it wasn't more of a Whoopee cushion sound as she pooped herself? :huh::lol:

Got to love traction control though, saved me a bowl-lock-king about 17 years ago at work. Trying to get into the traffic mid-afternoon (i was on 6-2 at the time) was a nightmare as it was one of the major roads out of Bournemouth. Two of us left at the same moment, i turned left to go home, the other car turned right towards the town/beach etc but wasn't seen because he tucked in behind a big artic once he was on the other side of the road. He laid rubber though for quite a while.

Because i was the only one seen, it had to be me wheelspinning out of the works car park so my boss had a go at me. I chucked him my car keys and told him to go and get it to wheel spin. Not ignoring the fact it had Lotus tuned suspension as standard, it also had traction control so wouldn't wheelspin.

Watching him back-pedal was almost as funny as his apology when he asked why i wanted him to get it to wheelspin and i pointed out it had traction control and Lotus-tuned suspension. - you don't expect those on a Daewoo lol! :lol:

Bloo%y %ell, commission, there is a nice idea..:lol:.off down the tyre supplier right now, wheels spinning all the way :rolleyes::D

You are right though, we tend to forget that traction control is the norm now for most "reasonably priced cars" !

Mind you when I was learning to drive (age 10 B)) it was all rear wheel drive, no power steering, no abs, no traction control and the weekend repairs consisted of propshaft uj replacements, clutch replacement (two hours) and marveling at the the new fangled front brake disks manufacturers were installing :rolleyes: plus worrying about whether the carbs/plugs were running clean and the points set to the right gaps......:P

• Like 2

• Moderators

Tonight on wet roads, no rain, so the slippy kind of road I noted that pulling away smartly will always instigate a wheel spin.not much, few revolutions then it hooks up once you ease off slightly then apply power again.

Slung into roundabouts and corners there seems to be no problems to report as yet....

Does anyone have a tyre that does not spin under medium provocation from a standing start on wet roads? :rolleyes::rolleyes::P

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Does anyone have a tyre that does not spin under medium provocation from a standing start on wet roads? :rolleyes::rolleyes::P

Kind of - the Falkens on my Sterling don't. Let me rephrase that though as at present they're sat in the garage and i have some Chinese Ditchfinders (Jinyu) on there because they were on the rims i fitted recently. They break traction under medium provocation in the dry!

All that said, the Sterling does have a few bits from later cars which help it put its power down better. Most of those bits came from a later model Sterling which had the same spring rates (give or take a wee bit) as the Vitesse slightly later than my Sterling is. I also have the anti-roll bars that are the same as the Vitesse Sport, diesel (i kid you not) and Police spec - these also help reduce wheelspin by reducing the amount of lift one wheel can produce under hard acceleration.

I'm not saying the Falkens are excellent but i've yet to get them to break traction and something i always say when comparing tyres is that what performs well in one part of the country may not do so well in others. Notwithstanding the huge number of potholes we now suffer, the roads are maintained differently in different parts of the country and some have different top surfaces and many have odd cambers, particularly round here! For example, a right hand bend and the road slopes to the left - not good for roadholding! :o

As such i think you can only ever get a general comparison between tyres on a forum like this - unless you back to back test tyres on the same car with the same driver in the same part of the country, you can never really reach an objective conclusion. ;):D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Afraid so Pete....

I've only managed to spin them them once on a wet/damp/slimy road take-off. And that was pulling out of my daughters drive onto Bridge Road in Bursledon, which Dave might know, in rush hour having to "take a gap" in the traffic to get across both lanes, (turning right) so I had the wheels turned at the same time. But spin they did...!!! But once caught up they were fine. But not at any other time even with "spirited" pull-aways.

Oh, at the time they were only a couple of weeks old.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mangoman said:

Afraid so Pete....

I've only managed to spin them them once on a wet/damp/slimy road take-off. And that was pulling out of my daughters drive onto Bridge Road in Bursledon, which Dave might know, in rush hour having to "take a gap" in the traffic to get across both lanes, (turning right) so I had the wheels turned at the same time. But spin they did...!!! But once caught up they were fine. But not at any other time even with "spirited" pull-aways.

Oh, at the time they were only a couple of weeks old.

Good points about the road surfaces and just thinking about it each time it has done it the road is wet but no rain, and on righthand turn too ! Plus chasing a gap on one occasion...

The other thing is in those situations is the lack of clutch control, in a manual i am always balancing the throttle, clutch and any spin is filtered out. Probably a spin off from bikes to prevent wheelies :rolleyes:

With an auto and no traction control its very much dependent on how heavy the right foot is!  I probably need to get more used to the car in this sort of scenario. 

The jag is auto but rear wheel drive , so different driving prospect altogether. 

So that said i am still happy, thanks for the input guys, it makes you look at the situation in a different light when others comment.:wub:

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

With an auto and no traction control its very much dependent on how heavy the right foot is!

Are you familiar with left-foot braking Pete? That can help in situations like this.

Alternatively do a "semi-rolling launch". Pull out relatively gently then gradually floor it, rather than flooring it as soon as you go to move. It wastes half a second or so in actually turning the wheels at the speed you need but you lose that (plus a few hundred miles off the life of the tyres) by flooring it from the off anyway.

Both methods need a bit of practice and out of the two i favour the semi-rolling launch as it's not quite so critical as balancing the brake and throttle without cooking the box. It's also quite similar to balancing the throttle and clutch on a bike, just without the clutch. ;):D

• Like 2