Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Round my way a lot of people park abandon their cars in the road. While planning on overtaking one such vehicle i nearly had a head on collision with a black Dodge Charger sporting red headlamp bulbs. :o

Stupidly i thought the red lights i could see were either stationary or must be moving away as there were no reverse lights but no, they were attached to the front end of a new-ish Charger coming at me with all 8 pots burbling! :o

A couple of days ago had a similar near miss with a motorbike also with red headlamps. Now pardon me for assuming here, but in my humble opinion it's dangerous with a capital "F" and if it isn't illegal, it should be! :angry::angry::angry:

Quite right someone needs a punt right up the bracket for putting red lamps in headlights, stupidly dangerous with a CAPITAL F     :angry::angry::angry:

• Like 1

Dave, are you sure you are not mistaking these red headlights for some types of HID Lights that at some angles emit differing colours, some go purple or like a magenta...??? It usually happens when they go over a bump and they shine upwards momentarily... That is why HID's are required to be Self-Leveling to alleviate this issue.

Just a thought.

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure it's not either Bill, last time i checked (about 20-25 years ago) you could have white or yellow headlamp (and foglamp) bulbs but that was it. Similar on marker lights (which is what i was investigating at the time), white or amber but no other colours to the front. Rear marker lights red or amber (red for preference) but NOT white.

As i recall, there isn't (or at least wasn't) any restriction on the number of marker lights as long as they didn't exceed a certain wattage/brightness each.

No mistaking these Bill, these are definitely red and always on US spec vehicles. I've also seen a Jeep Wrangler (the proper one, similar to the original Willys Jeep, not the new one based on a Fiat 500L with an extra cross-member and 4 wheel drive) with these red headlamp bulbs. I'll try and get a photo at some point. ;):D

The only Headlight Bulbs I know of are these. They came out a couple of years ago and ECP sent me a set of Purple ones that I put in the Rover. It didn't work too well because they are intended for use in Reflector Headlights, not Lensed.

2014-04-16130635_zpsa2feeb8d.jpg~origina

As you can see they give off a Purple Hue... But it is too diffused because of the Lens.

2014-04-17204028_zps7ea2fba0.jpg~origina

• Moderators

These are most definitely red with maybe a hint of white on the edge of the colour spectrum!

The Americans don't seem to have any concept of our road laws over here - this evening i saw one park on a zebra crossing while going to the Co-op! Worse than that he was driving X392GLE which should come up as a blue Honda Accord Coupé 2.0 and the icing on the cake was he was parked facing oncoming traffic! :o:rolleyes::angry:

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Laird_Scooby said:

the icing on the cake was he was parked facing oncoming traffic! :o:rolleyes::angry:

That really pi$$iS me off when people park their cars on the wrong side of the road and leave the headlamps on:angry:

Don't they understand that the lights dip to the left and therefore shine right into the oncoming traffic when they are perched half on and half off the kerb?

BMW drivers are feckin worst, apologies if you have a BMW but just make sure you don't park this way...:P

Now doing it with a Coupe and red lamps, to boot, is just plain annoying !:D

• Like 1

• Moderators

As it happens the guy driving the 2.0 coupé didn't have his lights on so don't know if they were red or not, the fact he parked on a pedestrian crossing facing the oncoming traffic is bad enough!

You're spot on about the left hand dip though, trying to explain that to some people is like bashing your head against a brick wall! As for these red headlamps, i just looked on USA ebay :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=red+custom+headlamps&_ipg=100&rt=nc

I'm amazed they are sold never mind fitted! For show use, fine - street? Hell no!!!

• Like 2

• Moderators

It would be 3 points for us Bill but he's on a USA licence. Sorry, license - they spell it differently as well! :rolleyes:

On the grounds it's illegal to dazzle oncoming traffic, parking facing the oncoming traffic on dipped beam is illegal here and i'm pretty sure it's illegal to park like that during the hours of darkness as there are no reflectors on the car except at the rear which of course wouldn't be seen.

Our local Police helicopter has gone recently due to cutbacks, the nearest manned Police station is 26 miles away and we no longer have any "village bobbies". The only Police i see round here are those seconded to the USAF to patrol the base perimeters on the UK side.

Chances of him getting caught and even "advised" about it? Somewhere between anorexic and none!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Some of you may have noticed i've been a bit quiet the past few days. Simple fact is i've had a niggly problem with the Volvo - check out my thread for what it is/was and how i'm fixing it or at least i hope i am! ;):D

Esso had the Exxon Valdez, i have the Volvo....................

• Like 3

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Some of you may have noticed i've been a bit quiet the past few days. Simple fact is i've had a niggly problem with the Volvo - check out my thread for what it is/was and how i'm fixing it or at least i hope i am! ;):D

Esso had the Exxon Valdez, i have the Volvo....................

Good job you didnt name it Torrey Canyon...or mention the RAF..:rolleyes::D

• Like 2

• Moderators

Played with a Honda "coupe" today, ok not THE Honda V6 Coupe but the S2000 version,,, (is it a coupe? got the hardtop on :P does that count? :rolleyes:)... well not so much played as fought with the windscreen washer pump which is down on the offside wheel arch behind the inner panel:angry:

Bought a new one, locally, as the old one is the original (03 plate) and I have had it off three times (ooh err missus!) to fix it after lay up, so though, bugger it, get a new one...

Its a copy one, not Honda, £7.60 worth... blimey, splashing out again.... does it fit???

Like F%%% it does NOT ... how can a "copy" not be "a copy" ???

The body is 3mm too long, the outlet pipe is on the wrong side so the pipe wouldn't fit even if I could actually get the intake stub in the bottle reservoir :angry::(

Looked up the number of the part on lings, using the delete the _pfk facility.... discovered it was £60 odd plus vat and delivery... arrghhh

Turned on ebygum and would you believe it, exact part, new in Honda package for £20 delivered.... did I buy it ??

Is the pope a catholic?

you bet I did !!

• Like 3

• Founding Member
1 minute ago, PTR200S said:

Played with a Honda "coupe" today, ok not THE Honda V6 Coupe but the S2000 version,,, (is it a coupe? got the hardtop on :P does that count? :rolleyes:)... well not so much played as fought with the windscreen washer pump which is down on the offside wheel arch behind the inner panel:angry:

Bought a new one, locally, as the old one is the original (03 plate) and I have had it off three times (ooh err missus!) to fix it after lay up, so though, bugger it, get a new one...

Its a copy one, not Honda, £7.60 worth... blimey, splashing out again.... does it fit???

Like F%%% it does NOT ... how can a "copy" not be "a copy" ???

The body is 3mm too long, the outlet pipe is on the wrong side so the pipe wouldn't fit even if I could actually get the intake stub in the bottle reservoir :angry::(

Looked up the number of the part on lings, using the delete the _pfk facility.... discovered it was £60 odd plus vat and delivery... arrghhh

Turned on ebygum and would you believe it, exact part, new in Honda package for £20 delivered.... did I buy it ??

Is the pope a catholic?

you bet I did !!

Brilliant step by step monologue! 

• Like 3

• Founding Member
Just now, PTR200S said:

Nobody else talks to me so I have to fill in the gaps :( Billy Nomates.........

You've always got us mate.....mates with one common denominator....our beloved coupes;)

• Like 4

• Founding Member

Well I actually did something to my coupe - long time with no action in the cold north....  I swapped over my winter wheels & tyres for my summer set in view of the warm spell coming this weekend. 

Not much I agree, but as I havn't driven the coupe for about a month, it was a lot for me!  And lucky for me, I have not needed to do anything - it had behaved so well over winter (touch wood)

But you guys make me feel like a failure with all your devotion & skill.  Do folk have heated garages to work in or do you also freeze, get wet, and blown around?  I am outside like at Stu's place - in the shade even when there is some sunshine....

• Like 4

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, PaulS said:

But you guys make me feel like a failure with all your devotion & skill.  Do folk have heated garages to work in or do you also freeze, get wet, and blown around?  I am outside like at Stu's place - in the shade even when there is some sunshine....

Heated? :D naw, I don't have enough candles to provide any heat :rolleyes:

Often work outside as the garage is jammed with stuff which needs removal before I can work inside on anything more than an oil check. jobs like changing oil requires hauling the ramps outside on a windless but not necessarily warm or dry day .! :P

Swmbo reckons I ought to get rid of stuff so I can work in the garage, ,,but as I explained if I sold everything I wouldn't need the garage as there wouldn't be anything to work on !,,:P 

That's logical isn't it? Or am I being unreasonable!  :huh:

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PaulS said:

I think most of us have "al fresco workshops" Paul. Not great, especially during winter months!

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Swmbo reckons I ought to get rid of stuff so I can work in the garage, ,,but as I explained if I sold everything I wouldn't need the garage as there wouldn't be anything to work on !,,:P 

That's logical isn't it? Or am I being unreasonable!  :huh:

Certainly is logical Pete - it is always SWMBO that is unreasonable, hence the sale of my last Skyline :( In fairness though all 4 sills were rotten on both sides, that would have been a lot of very tricky welding! Two inner and two outer sills both sides - where would you start??? :o;):D

• Like 2