Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

Mine's going into the garage this week for three things to be sorted: exhaust is blowing where the centre section joins the back box; a front sidelamp bulb needs replacing; and one of the rear number plate lamps has broken (rusted?) away and is hanging down over the plate.  MOT is in 6 weeks' time, so all this will need to be done.

Otherwise it just keeps running - now 20 years old and 149,000 miles.  If we get some dry weather over Christmas I'll say thank you by giving it a good clean-up, inside and out.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

You don't neeed a ramp for the bounce test...................

Ok so done a proper bounce test, all seems ok... spring does not look broken I am sure the upper ball joint was recently done. But when you bounce that corner of the car you get a sort of  squeaky bed spring noise.. Just hit the anchors on a brief drive and it didn't seem to pitch 🧐

• Like 3

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Ok so done a proper bounce test, all seems ok... spring does not look broken I am sure the upper ball joint was recently done. But when you bounce that corner of the car you get a sort of  squeaky bed spring noise.. Just hit the anchors on a brief drive and it didn't seem to pitch 🧐

Give it a good squirt on all bushes on that corner. and see what happens.....

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Is the pitching worse when you've not driven the car for a while? Also any clonking when you hit the brakes when it's not been used a while?

Well it's only been doing very few miles lately,  seemed to  have kicked off during 400 mile round trip to Wales 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Well it's only been doing very few miles lately,  seemed to  have kicked off during 400 mile round trip to Wales 

I'm wondering if the shock has gone weak. I@ve got exactly the same trouble on my Sterling at the moment, drive it a bit and it goes quiet, first few miles (especially if i've not used it for a few days) are squeaky, clonky and pitchy if you get my meaning.

Did you notice any vagueness or floatiness on the front end as you came back from Wales? Also the front end can feel really light when the shocks go weak and the car is nowhere near as stable in crosswinds.

On my old 827 Coupe, when the front shocks went weak (without leaking except a bit internally) the front got so light that even without crosswinds it would float from one lane to another if i wasn't careful! :o

Suggest you leave it a day or two and try another bounce test when it's not moved anywhere for a couple of days but give the bushes a squirt as that will help eliminate those while it's doing nothing else. ;):D

14 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I'm wondering if the shock has gone weak. I@ve got exactly the same trouble on my Sterling at the moment, drive it a bit and it goes quiet, first few miles (especially if i've not used it for a few days) are squeaky, clonky and pitchy if you get my meaning.

Did you notice any vagueness or floatiness on the front end as you came back from Wales? Also the front end can feel really light when the shocks go weak and the car is nowhere near as stable in crosswinds.

On my old 827 Coupe, when the front shocks went weak (without leaking except a bit internally) the front got so light that even without crosswinds it would float from one lane to another if i wasn't careful! :o

Suggest you leave it a day or two and try another bounce test when it's not moved anywhere for a couple of days but give the bushes a squirt as that will help eliminate those while it's doing nothing else. ;):D

Squirted what I could reach last night still squeaky this morning... I park with the offside up on a kerb during work and bounced it in this position no noise... So I must only get the noise under initial compression. Will keep trying, and yes front end doesn't seem 100% 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Coupe on the rack tomorrow at 8am so did all the fluid checks, lights, brake testing after the Italian tune up! !!!     

On the ramps, nothing falling off, spray BH UC at possible rust areas......

Filled with fuel, another Italian tune up, full bore braking into abs territory then down to classic car meet for a late brekky 😂   

Good to go, if if fails the  mot tomorrow, on anything serious, not going to be happy ,....

• Like 2

• Moderators

Todays job was to fix the advisory on the MoT, namely the slim jim rear pads !!

Pads to be dropped in today so prepped the car....unlocked it ...!!

Postie turns up, opened packet to be greeted by this....

new-rear-pads.jpg

Job on hold.... 🤬

• Sad 1
  • grrrr 2

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Unless my eyes decieve me Pete, there's only 3 pads and one of those looks secondhand and/or contaminated? :o

There are four, you can just see the edge of the fourth one in the box.

Not secondhand, just covered in the brake grease out of the sachet you can see on the right of the picture. The sachet has got squashed and burst, the pad in the centre of the pic should roughly be the colour of the box they came in !

The brake cleaner is coming out but I have already told the seller that he may get them returned....just a pain really as they were the last set and CHEAP !!!

So as the job was off I went and did a job on a bike instead...

IMG-20200116-WA0002.jpg

• Sad 1

• Moderators

Today was fix the Coupe day ! After the MoT tester said it was looking thin, one of the rear brake pads, an investigation and replacement was required.

Fairly straight forward on the Coupe rear brakes, standard stuff, two pad holder into the sliders bolts, 12mm, to undo. Remove pads, wind piston back in, clean appropriate areas, check sliders, regrease if necessary, slam it back together.....

Err, No !

The new pads arrived as shown in previous post, brake cleaner sorted them out, they obviously had only been subjected to the grease whilst in transit...enthusiastic postie...

Rear nearside off, one bolt stuck tight...easing and spraying got it out twenty minutes later.

Check the state of the disk too.

20200118-122151.jpg

20200118-123153.jpg

Brake pads stuck fast on their ears. Big hammer and screwdriver needed 🙄

20200118-123928.jpg

20200118-123940.jpg

Sliders ok but pulled them and regreased anyway.

20200118-125121.jpg

Cleaned the stainless brake pad ear holders and their locating positions , pretty rusty.

20200118-124456.jpg

Couldn't find my piston screw retractor...someone has borrowed and not returned it,,,you know who you are !

Here was the solution, !😄

20200118-130347.jpg

Offside rear was just as bad with a seized slider (lower) and pads jammed fast in carrier...plus, take a look at one of the pads.... 

20200118-140036.jpg

20200118-140050.jpg

Half an hour just to shift this baby without busting anything.

20200118-151733.jpg

This deterioration has taken place since September 2018 when they were last pulled apart. The car stood for about 8 months and this probably didn't help. I actually did do the fronts a few months ago but I thinks I will pull them apart next weekend although the MoT said they were definitely ok compared to the rear ones.🤣

Now I don't have so many vehicles to look after and the Coupe is now in the firing line for duty perhaps I should spend more time on her !!

I reckon that the MoT was passed on the basis they, rear brakes, were both as bad as each other and evened out on the test roller. Good job the tester knows his onions and said although the figures looked good something wasn't right. The testers can't touch anything so it was down to me. He reckoned that there is a lot of three year old cars on their first MoT with horrendous brake rust wise and yet they pass as well, he says the regs are too slack!

He knows that I will do mine properly but just how many don't fix the brakes on the testers say so?

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

In another bout of enthusiasm today, the Coupe got an oil and filter change, along with the other halfs Jazz......why does it take so long to do simple tasks?

20200119-103444.jpg

This has been a long weekend of vehicle maintenance that really should have not been allowed to get that far down the line...the Jazz oil and filter for instance was last done in September 2018 ( that month again!) Just 3500 miles covered though.

I seem to have lost most of 2019 somewhere !!!!

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Sadly yes Pete, i've got similar on my Sterling and i've seen many 800s with similar scabs. It actually makes it look a lot worse than it really is, many videos on YT where you can sand down the surrounding lacquer, the base colour, reprime, repaint and then relacquer (all with rattle cans no less!) and they make it look easy but i've never managed to get the results they do.

Will be having another go on the Sterling at some point this year (i hope!) so maybe it will work for me this time.

It's either that or i'll start saving a poiund coin a week and by the time i'm 93 i can afford a respray! :P

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Wow ! I presume thats the laquer that has let go and lifted?

Yeah - along the roof sides too, below the rubber gutter trim.

I've done some fancy booth spraying for work in my time and I guess I could rent a booth for a weekend but ideally it needs a couple of weeks off the road and being done properly.

I think my mind's made up to let the top surface peel away like the Yankee show cars, those nice 50s cars with original paint.

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

I think my mind's made up to let the top surface peel away like the Yankee show cars,

Not a great idea to be honest. The base colour can go porous if left uncovered and that leads to rust. That's why i want to sort mine out ASAP, even if i just rattle can it. ;):D

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I actually washed my coupe today - the first day this year when it hasn't rained here so I coul;d have a good look around it!

Apart from what seems a few more minor supermarket bashes, I noticed that both front sidelamps have lots of condensation.  Does anyone else have similar issues?  How to get rid?  Hairdrier?

• Like 2