Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators

Just don't seem to be doing anything to the Coupe recently...that's good I guess as its been used every day for the last week,. I need to get on with doing the wheels again as the salt has really popped a few spots out of the alloy.......................... TVR maintenance day instead, oil and filter change .......

So gave Greenie, the Coupe, a nice long bath just so it didn't feel left out...got rid of all the salt yet again 🤬........ dried it , just about to give it a polish and wax and then it rained 😭

Coupe-wash-260119.jpg

• Like 5

• Founding Member
2 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Just don't seem to be doing anything to the Coupe recently...that's good I guess as its been used every day for the last week,. I need to get on with doing the wheels again as the salt has really popped a few spots out of the alloy.......................... TVR maintenance day instead, oil and filter change .......

So gave Greenie, the Coupe, a nice long bath just so it didn't feel left out...got rid of all the salt yet again 🤬........ dried it , just about to give it a polish and wax and then it rained 😭

Coupe-wash-260119.jpg

Looks like you’ve got a minter there. 

• Like 5

On 1/26/2019 at 4:59 PM, PTR200S said:

Coupe-wash-260119.jpg

Your wheels look particularly good.  Do they still have the original polished face, or have they been painted?

Having washed my coupe last Thursday, it didn't need another wash at the weekend, but my RX400H and XBR500 did.  The XBR was clean on Friday morning, and with the mild weather decided to take it to work (15 miles).  Big mistake!  When I got to work, neither myself nor the bike could have been any dirtier if I'd ridden off-road. 

20190125-110706.jpg.jpg20190125-173255.jpg.jpg

Cleaning it on Saturday took much longer than the RX, as there are many more fiddly cracks and crannies to clean.  

20190125-110647.jpg.jpg20190125-110635.jpg.jpg

• Like 4

• Moderators

Wow, a dirty beast !!, Some serious cleaning of bike and riding kit needed !!

I see you have a two into one, is that a Nexxus? 

My XBR is tucked up in the garage, the roads around here are much the same as yours by the looks of it !!! 

Just been fettling the 750 , (Honda of course !!, Stu, ) ready for its mot, now discovered battery is fo&k£d , 😢  

The Coupe wheels were cleaned off , sanded and then polished only. Couldn't justify a diamond cut.,. I decided not to laquer them which is why 18 months later they need a good doing over again, the salty roads are no friend of alloy wheels !!!

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

The Coupe wheels were cleaned off , sanded and then polished only. Couldn't justify a diamond cut.,. I decided not to laquer them which is why 18 months later they need a good doing over again, the salty roads are no friend of alloy wheels !!!

The first car i owned with alloy wheels, way back in the mists of time in 1985, the wheels were simply polished and lacquered from the factory, apart from some small areas that were painted gunmetal grey as a contrast.

1930.jpg

A very rough looking shot of the wheels in question! :o

Since then i've seen many different finishes on alloys, highly polished and lacquered, painted, painted and lacquered, powder coated and variations of a theme around all of those and i'm sure i've seen a few other finishes.

As far as i understand diamond cutting, it literally skims the top surface off revealing bare alloy - seems to be the most destructive finish available but looks nice when first done.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Wow, a dirty beast !!, Some serious cleaning of bike and riding kit needed !!

I see you have a two into one, is that a Nexxus? 

My XBR is tucked up in the garage, the roads around here are much the same as yours by the looks of it !!! 

Just been fettling the 750 , (Honda of course !!, Stu, ) ready for its mot, now discovered battery is fo&k£d , 😢  

The exhaust is a micron. Was on the bike when i got it.  It's fine really, but the front down pipes are rusting quite thin.  I cant seem to stop the tin worm.  😥

No lacquer on the wheels explains why you got some spots from the salt.   

When, (if!?) I ever get time,  I will also have a go at sanding and polishing mine. What tools did you use, and did it take long?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

As far as i understand diamond cutting, it literally skims the top surface off revealing bare alloy - seems to be the most destructive finish available but looks nice when first done.

That's what I thought too.  Just a faster way to remove the surface than rubbing down and polishing.   But it doesn't leave a totally smooth surface, does it?

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 1/28/2019 at 10:04 PM, welland99 said:

When, (if!?) I ever get time,  I will also have a go at sanding and polishing mine. What tools did you use, and did it take long?

I think I posted some stuff in this thread "What have you done to your Coupe today" some time ago (??!!! not sure if the pics exist still as it was on Photo%ucket ) but basically I cleaned them off, sanded them down using various grades of paper and loy block. Took quite a while to do each wheel, then I used Solvol Autosol, or whatever they call it now, then waxed.

Biggest hassle was the outer rim lips at the tyre / wheel interface, fiddly to get in the groove but satisfying once cleaned out !😜 

This was one wheel as was, then one other cleaned and ready to be Solvol polished. The drops on the cleaned wheel is actually rain !! 

Wheel-3-clean-up-1.jpg

Cleaned-alloy-2110217.jpg

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Nice job!

I spent yesterday clearing an inch of snow off my cars.... then didn't go anywhere as many roads around me were jammed by folk needing to go somewhere but couldn't cos of a few folk who couldn't drive on anything other than warm asphelt......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

No snow here !  Just bloody cold.... apparently they closed some schools Liverpool way yesterday and 45 schools in Lancs were closed too...must have been on the eastern side of the county, Blackburn, Darwen, Rochdale etc... although some in Chorley were closed too....

Never used to have this problem when I was going to school, if it was cold you wore your coats in class and the gym mistress gave you a work out at break time just for good measure... ! (ooh, err)! No closed schools unless the snow was so deep the doors couldn't be opened !😲

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Never used to have this problem when I was going to school, if it was cold you wore your coats in class and the gym mistress gave you a work out at break time just for good measure... ! (ooh, err)! No closed schools unless the snow was so deep the doors couldn't be opened !😲

Reminds me of my school days when me & my maths teacher were very close, yeah you guessed correct, reminiscing now 😚 I'm certain she does too 😀

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Busy day today. I carried out the second transmission drain and fill at 375 miles from the first, (See photo below to check out my triple tunnel stack method of getting new oil into the box :)

IMG-2608-X3.jpg

Changed the engine oil and filter, and gave 'Nobby' a good shampoo and polish.

Then I washed and polished the wifes Fiesta (It won't get done if I leave it up to her).

IMG-2611-X3.jpg

Changed the air filter for her and replaced the 'Chip oil and tea strainer' on her engine.

IMG-2602-X3.jpg

Oh! and I fitted a Fumuto drain valve. - Lovely! - See Photo. Have a good week everyone.

IMG-2610-X3.jpg

I shall sleep well tonight.

• Like 6

• Moderators

Loving the triple-stack funnel! I usually use one of those funnels with a long hose on it and a strainer in the bottom of the funnel part.

19 minutes ago, Randell said:

Then I washed and polished the wifes Fiesta (It won't get done if I leave it up to her).

Changed the air filter for her and replaced the 'Chip oil and tea strainer' on her engine.

:lol: That's that serviced for another millennium then! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
On 2/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, Randell said:

Busy day today. I carried out the second transmission drain and fill at 375 miles from the first, (See photo below to check out my triple tunnel stack method of getting new oil into the box :)

Hows the motor running since all your hard work, think I might consder getting a Fumuto drain valve, to save the threads on both my motors sump pans.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, Randell said:

I'll need to develop a similar strategy to put engine oil in my Lexus rx- the filler cap is very low down on the engine.  🤔

• Like 2