Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Founding Member

Yep, mine is the same, especially on these cold mornings.  I usually leave it ticking over for a couple of minutes, just to get the fluids all pumping around.  Ooo err Dave. I don't drive more than 30 until,the temp gauge is moving which is usually less than a mile.  All good though. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

I usually leave it ticking over for a couple of minutes, just to get the fluids all pumping around

Nothing like getting your fluids pumping Geoff! ;):lol:

Joking aside, there's no real need to "warm up the car" these days with modern lubricants and certain schools of thought suggest it's actually a bad thing.

That said if it's a really cold day and the windows are covered in frost/ice, i start the engine, switch the HRW on (if it doesn't come on automatically), hit the screen demist button to clear the front screen and then start manually clearing the side windows.

By the time i've done that the front and back screens are generally clear (or very nearly) and the heater has started to throw some warm (ish) air out and all vital fluids have been circulated. It also warms the engine block up to minimise any possibility of cracking from thermal shock when the cold air hits it at speed. ;):D

I always warm up the car, and generally longer in Winter.

And with the Honda after a minute or so I put it in Drive and hold it for another couple of minutes. I just find the Gearbox behaves better when doing this.

As far as I'm concerned it cannot hurt, especially as nearly all my journeys are very short - only up to a couple of miles usually.

It's just been a habit of mine as a carry-over of owning old cars in Zim. Like Anglias, Minis, VW Karmann Ghias, Humber Super Snipes etc where you had to play with the choke for a while before thinking of going anywhere! ;)

• Site Subscriber’s

Yeah, within a mile the engine is usually warm. 

Good to hear the box is behaving normally, it's surprised me how relaxing an auto is to drive.

Just over £300 with the AA for euro breakdown, that's for a year and includes Spain as I'm hoping to spend a month or so there in January. I'd paid for recovery for years with my insurer but when it came to it this summer they wouldn't bring me home, it wasn't economically viable to fix in Switzerland... one van scrapped that between purchase, conversion and a new gearbox had cost me 10k in one year. Gutted. The problem with the V6 is the value of the vehicle is so low, there's not a chance of repatriation unless I'm near the UK, as the value of the vehicle can't be exceeded.

I'm only pottering down to Fontainebleau, so maybe a 1000 miles for this trip. It'll feel pretty leisurely as far a distance normally goes and the cruise control will be nice to have on the toll roads.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Good to hear the box is behaving normally, it's surprised me how relaxing an auto is to drive.

I've been driving autos for over 30 years now and wouldn't drive anything else. The beauty of the auto in yours is that it's a thinly disguised manual box with automatic electronic/hydraulic shift control. That means almost all the benefits of a manual with the ease of an auto.

When Honda and Rover collaborated over the Project XX/HX Rover 825/Honda Legend 2.5, they had to "massage" the performance figures because in the mid 80s, nobody would believe an auto was not only quicker off the line, faster top end but also more economical too. Many still don't but hey, i don't care as they just look even sillier when it's proved to them! :lol:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Decided it is time for a change of Oil and Filter - although not quite a year yet and only what must be less than 2000 miles! since the last one!

ECP are having a bit of a 'Deal' on at the moment so I managed to get 5 litres of 5w/40 Gulf and the recommended longer Bosch Filter - [0 986 452 036] for £19.95 Delivered 'Same Day'! In actual fact I ordered it at 14:45hrs and it was at my door under 2 hours later... Impressed!

So that will be on the agenda on a nice day... :D 

iEKmrLr.jpg

Ii3nen8.jpg?1

NB: As a side-bar, this thread has seemed to have run its course, a month since the last Post, so I'm wondering if it is still worthwhile keeping open because most of the time now new threads are opening when things get done.

Anyway, I don't have a problem if the "Powers-that-be" wish to close it as really it seems a bit redundant now.

Cheers, Bill.

• Moderators

That's good oil Bill, i favour the 10W40 semi-synth for mine but have used the 5W40 as well and it does what it says on the tin (or plastic) and so far seems better than the Triple QX/ECP own brand oil.

Used the 10W40 in my Volvo recently, both 827s are due so will get the same but certainly in the Volvo the Gulf oil is performing very well.

If you wait for a nice day to do it, you could have a long wait! Especially this time of year! ;):D

• Like 1

Hi Dave.

When I mean a nice day I mean not raining and above 10*C...lol. :)

As far as Grades go I just prefer the 5w/40 as it basically cover all the bases from -30*C to 40*C+ the 10w is reaching its specified limitations at -15*C and around here it can get down to -8*C quite often and when you add in the Windchill it will be operating close to the limit on cold starts.

Anyway, that's how I look at it.

And as far as the Gulf Oil goes it goes beyond minimum requirement specs - and after all I do very little mileage and I drive quite sedately most of the time. In fact nearly all the time...lol. :)

And the price is right! :D:D 

• Moderators

The temperature drop is because your coastal Bill with sandy soil around, i have the same problem here although i'm fairly inland - go back centuries when East Anglia was just a flood-plain and this place was one of the high spots, hence the sandy soil. For some reason it helps to give extremes of temperature. Do a search for Santon Downham which is a few miles from me as the crow (or heron) flies and you'll see that place has extremes of temperature and holds several records. Again it's all sandy soil.

As it's warm and dry today, i expect you're doing your oil/filter change! ;):D

3 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

As it's warm and dry today, i expect you're doing your oil/filter change! ;):D

No, afraid not Dave. It's blowing a hooly and big time overcast! :( 

So correction, not raing, about 10*C and not windy...lol. :)

And not windy because I have a huge Oak Tree, and I mean HUGE, and where I work on the drive is a bit of a wind-trap and the leaves just go around in a whirl-wind!

I once tried to wash the car one windy day and the leaves were falling and sticking to the wet bodywork faster than I could take them off - I eventually gave up after a few minutes!

The garden - I just give UP! 

On 28/10/2017 at 7:54 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

That said if it's a really cold day and the windows are covered in frost/ice, i start the engine, switch the HRW on (if it doesn't come on automatically), hit the screen demist button to clear the front screen and then start manually clearing the side windows.

I've never known my HRW to come on automatically.   Should it?

• Moderators

I think it's a Rover thing. If i leave the Climate Pack on full "AUTO" and just set the temperature, it works out if it needs to demist the front and/or rear screens and sends hot, conditioned air to the front screen and switches the rear screen on. If i hit the front demist button, most of the time it brings the HRW on as well as it obviously does some sort of calculation and decides if the front screen is misted up, so is the back one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I think it's a Rover thing. If i leave the Climate Pack on full "AUTO" and just set the temperature, it works out if it needs to demist the front and/or rear screens and sends hot, conditioned air to the front screen and switches the rear screen on. If i hit the front demist button, most of the time it brings the HRW on as well as it obviously does some sort of calculation and decides if the front screen is misted up, so is the back one.

My R75 did the same thing if the OT was below 10*C irrespective of the setting of the CC - also the Heated Side Mirrors.

To be honest I used to find the automatic activation of the Rear Screen a bit annoying because most of the time it was clear, so I had to turn it off everytime I started the car if it was really cold... Although it used to switch off automatically after 20 minutes anyway. There was no actual Switch for the Side Mirrors, they just did their thing as and when required. :)

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

My R75 did the same thing if the OT was below 10*C irrespective of the setting of the CC - also the Heated Side Mirrors.

To be honest I used to find the automatic activation of the Rear Screen a bit annoying because most of the time it was clear, so I had to turn it off everytime I started the car if it was really cold... Although it used to switch off automatically after 20 minutes anyway. There was no actual Switch for the Side Mirrors, they just did their thing as and when required

The 800 is different to that Bill - the heated door mirrors are always on - logic in the lunacy there considering they're outside. I think the 800 was more "intuitive" regarding the auto HRW control, it only seems to come on when it's needed although a couple of times it's come on when it hasn't been needed.

I've seen switches for the R75 that include a heat on/off button but they changed things so often on those that isn't definitive. The Volvo has a real oddball one, the HRW and heated mirror switch is combined, first press brings on the HRW, second press within a second or two brings the door mirror heat on, third press (or second after 2-3 seconds) or no press for at least 15 minutes turns it all off. Other Volvos (similar/same model) have separate switches and are either on or off with no 15 minute timer! :rolleyes: Confused dog com! :wacko:

8 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

The 800 is different to that Bill - the heated door mirrors are always on - logic in the lunacy there considering they're outside. I think the 800 was more "intuitive" regarding the auto HRW control, it only seems to come on when it's needed although a couple of times it's come on when it hasn't been needed.

I've seen switches for the R75 that include a heat on/off button but they changed things so often on those that isn't definitive. The Volvo has a real oddball one, the HRW and heated mirror switch is combined, first press brings on the HRW, second press within a second or two brings the door mirror heat on, third press (or second after 2-3 seconds) or no press for at least 15 minutes turns it all off. Other Volvos (similar/same model) have separate switches and are either on or off with no 15 minute timer! :rolleyes: Confused dog com! :wacko:

My Celica and MR2 had the same, as far as the HRW and Mirrors linked. But they were Jap Imports so might have been different to the Local ones.

Also a nice touch on the MR2 is it had Turning Fog Lights. If you had them on and you turned left the left Foglight would swivel to the left - it was real handy on unfamiliar dark country roads! :D

Found a video. (Not Mine). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Collected the coupe from the body shop today, after a second attempt at painting the front bumper, it was miles out on matching the wing, it's not perfect but 70% better and it was a freebie but still slipped him a Ton and some JD as a Thank You.

IMAG0022%5B1%5D.jpg

Just need to stick the washer jets and trims back on now.

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

I fitted two new brake/tail lights today, so I have done something to Purple lately.  B)

You probably check things like your levels more often than I do to fair Geoff, I just look for anything suspicious on the driveway and thankfully its always from another car and its rarely from a Honda TBH  :lol::rolleyes:

• Haha 1

The other day I was clearing out some stuff in the Attic and found this that I had bought for one of my previous cars and most probably found it didn't fit

- well it fits the Coupe a treat! At least stuff now won't keep on rolling around on the Floor of the Boot! ;) 

- Chuffed..... :D:D:D 

CvoTTUj.jpg

qtN6Aux.jpg?1

Next on the agenda is a quick Oil and Filter change on the next decent day... (Which looks like Tuesday). :)