Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe Dial/Gauge Upgrade

AhsyV6

• Founding Member

This is my dial install in my previous CG2. I preferred it without the aluminium backing but was too late as the adhesive was very strong.

Not sure if I'd doing it again but if I did then it would only be the AC Auto Technic S7 Gauges

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ac-Autotechnic-S7-GAUGES-Speed-Cluster-gauge-Overlay-for-ACCORD-Auto-Manual-/111130487081?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CModel%3AAccord&hash=item19dfe4a929&vxp=mtr

If I didn't do the above I may consider just installing the chrome rings for the 3 dials.

I appreciate it's not for everyone.

imagejpg1_zpsf3c43185.jpg

imagejpg1_zps46429ef4.jpg

imagejpg1_zps46f4e252.jpg

imagejpg1_zps4e8ebb2c.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsb19b2fd5.jpg

imagejpg1_zps23207273.jpg

imagejpg1_zps6b00eb6d.jpg

imagejpg1_zps86eec9ba.jpg

imagejpg1_zps46e37f82.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsc6f43594.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

I like it when the background is black, looks really effective. Never been keen on the white dial look, i find a white or coloured needle against a black background is easier to see/read than against a white background - better contrast which i suppose is why manufacturers originally went for black faced gauges as opposed to the original "white" (ish!) faces going all the way back to the 1930s or thereabouts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Can I be honest, it is so much easier on the eyes at night, (obviously :) ). I found the other colour continually attracting my peripheral vision too much. This colour basically becomes invisible until you look at it, but comes into focus so much quicker aswell. So just a glance is all that is required to glean all the info required.

Not only that, it looks a hundred percent better! So it serves two purposes. :D

• Moderators

Each to their own Bill - i find red light harsh on my eyes at night but that's just me. I do know that on a lot of ships bridges, they use red light at night as it's easier on their eyes and also helps them keep awake (apparently a proven fact) and produces less glare and reflections from the inside of the screens.

Which reminds me - it's about time i got my backside in gear and changed my Coupés instrument and switch lighting from red to green........... ;):D

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 98-02 Accord Coupe Dial/Gauge Upgrade
  • 2 years later...
  • Founding Member

Got the old chrome rings out finally and thought I’d see what they look like whilst replacing the blown bulbs in the cluster. 5B47DFEE-8253-4FA6-868D-FDBE21A5E2A1.thumb.jpeg.41f0a90a3e8cec0e8747f7212cd9893b.jpeg45DA2E71-8D04-4F0A-B197-6570F0EAD11F.thumb.jpeg.d23d89a87e31586bda1cb9996f1b55fd.jpeg

The rings have some black tacky substance on them still which I need to remove and then polish. 
It’s a very tight fit and some slight adjustment required on the middle ring. The chrome laquer has slightly cracked whilst adjusting it but hasn’t flaked off which would have been a disaster. 
I love the look.....thoughts? I’m still undecided if I’ll keep them in and if I do will they stay put. 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I know exactly what you mean by “Unfinished” but of course we wouldn’t know that unless we have something to compare against....right. I also know from reading the previous comments how you feel about these types of after market mods. Appreciate the 👍🏽 
The real decider will be to see what they look like with the cluster lit up. 

• Like 2

Not a fan of those cluster rings mods and futuristics fancy dials. I prefer the oem look, more clean, sober and refined just as the spirit of the car. Those rings remind some italians and french car style trends .. Also the 98-00 cluster is way nicer than the updated post 2000 ugly ford version. Actually every single styling update to the post 2000 accord were never as good as the pre 2000 imho, but that's another topic... 

• Like 2

• Founding Member
1 hour ago, KingK0ng said:

Not a fan of those cluster rings mods and futuristics fancy dials. I prefer the oem look, more clean, sober and refined just as the spirit of the car. Those rings remind some italians and french car style trends .. Also the 98-00 cluster is way nicer than the updated post 2000 ugly ford version. Actually every single styling update to the post 2000 accord were never as good as the pre 2000 imho, but that's another topic... 

Totally understand your opinion.

I don’t know what the post 2000 dial looks like? Would be interesting to see the difference. 

• Like 2

The cluster was made by Ford. It has grey stripe around the mph graduation, the background color is more dark grey than black like on the older version, the police number has a more dumb looking, the needles are more reddish ( personaly prefer the older orange one )..So it's a matter of taste but for me the older ( like yours ) is way more appealing.

1589543978-s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Not sure about the rings, tidied up the dial limits nicely though...think I would need to see it fully assembled and in the flesh to make a decision.....does look pretty good though on second looks...

Makes the dials look separate to each other just as the old motors had separate dials into their dashboard, sort of old school 70's style

• Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

Interesting.....I never knew that. Have to say it does look a bit more sportier and the grey gives the seperation from the black which I like which has also been achieved by my chrome rings.

Thanks for that 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I had also tried this out with my coupe, some time ago. At the time it was a good excuse to fiddle with the cluster as I was changing the backlight bulbs to LED. Fitted them on, was chuffed at the finished look. Next day got in my car and was waiting for some time for the temp needle to move. Obviously it was stuck at quarter level, catching on the inner ring 🤦‍♂️. No space for the needle to move with the addition of the ring. Fuel side had plenty space but the temperature needle sits closely to the edge of the bezel. Also the needle has a square edge finish at the end from the circle, so that didn't help also. Ended up going back to OEM, had to get 2 used clusters just for parts 🤦‍♂️. Got everything back to original OEM and added auto glym vinyl rubber finish to the bezel frame. Bad experience for me. 

• Like 3