Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe Leather Cleaning "DETAIL"

AhsyV6

• Founding Member

Bill you were better off cleaning the leather first and then conditioning it...you will need to condition it again after the deep leather cleanse as it will need renourishing.....would have been more cost/time effective if cleansed fist. I am sure you have your own technique to clean the leather and mine is the soft nail brush in light circular motions on the leather.....you will see a massive difference.

Good luck and look forward to the results. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I totally get where you're coming from on that one Bill and have done the same myself in the past. :blush:

However it's a pretty bad idea because if there is some dirt, oil, grease "sitting" on top of the dried out leather, it can be cleaned off fairly easily. If you simply feed it first before cleaning, there's a very high chance that when the leather absorbs the feed, it will also absorb the dirt, creating a stain that is horrendously difficult to remove at a later date. :rolleyes: The other part of this is that if whatever the dirt/oil/grease is attacks leather, then it's been absorbed with the feed and attacks from within - double-edged sword! :o

It's completely counter-intuitive to use a seemingly harsh cleaning product on dry, fragile leather but in the long term is the better way of doing things. Most decent cleaners have some nutrients in that "drop out" of the solution once the cleaning has been done to revive the leather slightly before the proper feed goes on so it's not such a nasty procedure anyway. Also if a stain remains after cleaning (when it's easier to see dirt and stains on a freshly cleaned bit of cow) then spot-cleaning that with some more cleaner usually removes the stain before it gets absorbed by the leather. Sometimes though the stain has become permanent and the only option is to recolour. Gliptone do a range of leather dyes and will also colour match to a sample (usually best taken from under the seat where there's usually a bit of excess material) so you can get exactly the right colour :

https://www.liquidleather.com/22-scuffmaster-dyes

They do a whole host of dyes, cleaners, feeds and whatever else so you could get your seat looking brand new again! ;):D

• Like 2

• The topic was featured
  • 1 month later...

well i have used Autoglym for many years and  no doubt many of you have & been happy with the results .well i brought the Autoglym leather cleaner recently and have to say i struggled to get the desired results so after three applications i through in the towel ( sod it ) so after dropping into my local home bargains there on the shelf and priced at £1.00 this product , tried it and very impressed with the results it cleans nourishes and smells like leather should ,  i still use many of the Autoglym products & i am not knocking the brand , in my case unless mine was a counterfeit it was as hopeless    ps ( i recommend  leather cream to maintain the suppleness after the cleaning is done i usually leave the cream on the leather for a  longer period of time then buff with a clean cloth  hope it helps ?????

20170405_142240.jpg

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Hello fellow member, 

got to say that I'm really surprised with your findings with the Autoglym Leather Cleaner. Please feel free to look at my post/results pasted below from a few years back. My only tip as mentioned in the post is to use a very soft nail brush to agitatate the leather as I feel just rubbing with a cloth doesn't get the perfect results. 

If you really have thrown the towel in then Gliptone do some excellent cleaners and conditioners which I have subsequently purchased but yet to use. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I 've always been a bit twitchy with Autoglym leather products,  Care Balm softened the leather in a past Honda the point of accelerating the wear on a bolster and ended up swapping the interior for an older high mileage one and used either carplan or armorall leather wipes and covered three times the mileage without a problem and I've been using these wipes ever since.

• Like 2

Cheers AhsyV6. I agree i have used Autoglm for years together with most leading brands and no complaints untill the recent purchase , i have no idea what was in the bottle i purchased but it was very poor indeed ,and stu makes a valid point regarding the leather cleaner & i agree 100% i will not be using Autoglm leather cleaner again 

Autoglm resin polish gloss coat and tyre black i still use and are ?very very good but the leather cleaner shockingly dire???i  will check out your posts ???, i can recommend connolly food hide after the leather is cleaned i usually leave it overnight at which time the majority has soaked into the leather and a light buffing the next morning  brings super results ? 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Accord Coupe Leather Cleaning "DETAIL"
  • The topic was pinned
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, AhsyV6 said:

Nice healthy sheen mate. I so need to do mine

47 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

erm, and me too, ?

Looks good, Stu

39 minutes ago, Lennie Legend said:

and that looks like it does the business.

Thanks Chaps seats feel like new again

• Like 3

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Looking good there Stu! ?:D

Reminds me, i need to do mine! :blush:

Thanks buddy, all this sunshine was making me a bit twitchy even though I cover up the parcel shelf part of the seats with sun shield, just wanted to protect it a little more as I want to keep the car as long as I can and keep the interior nice.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/22/2021 at 3:28 PM, PTR200S said:

Full interior clean , good leather soaking for that new car smell and it will feel great to be on the road again !!

I’ve looked at a number of things online & the range of treatments is enormous so I feel I have to ask for your recommendation regarding the leather soaking & reconditioning etc .... much obliged.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Pete205 said:

I’ve looked at a number of things online & the range of treatments is enormous so I feel I have to ask for your recommendation regarding the leather soaking & reconditioning etc .... much obliged.

Glyptone or Autoglym stuff is pretty good , do you need to clean the leather first ?

If so then use a soap and water initially, not much water !! Clean off what you can.

Then use a leather cleaner,  a gentle version, don't bother with the combined conditioner cleaner.

I usually do two cleans, first one to get the overall dirt off that the soap and water didn't shift.....you might want to stop for a beer now !! Leave overnight then have another go to shift any stubborn stains.

A leather conditioner next is good, this is definitely worth at least two goes !! I did three the last time, and really depends on how "dry" your leather is or maybe how much you want to smell the leather 😆

You may want to seal it after but I don't bother, just keep on top of the cleaning, wipe down with a damp cloth every so often helps.

Gliptone is the one I use regularly but the choice is yours.

Other interior panels i use a dashboard cleaner stuff, matt finish so no reflections in the windscreen. Good for door panels, switches etc.

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

What Pete ^^^^^ said! In addition, if you give the leather a vacuum first to remove the heavier bits od dirt and grit to prevent scratches when you clean it, that will help.

I've always used Autoglym but Gliptone is also very good, each to their own as for taste and cost etc.

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1