Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe Leather Cleaning "DETAIL"

AhsyV6

• Founding Member

Just thought I would share my leather detail when I bought my V6 in Oct 12. I used Autoglym Leather Cleaner with a soft wide nail brush followed by conditioning curtesy of Meguairs Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. I feel it's an excellent combo and very impressed with the results.

imagejpg1_zps54b6e529.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9f42af9b.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsb0b2e189.jpg

imagejpg1_zps493a7aa2.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsc3351414.jpg

imagejpg6_zps9e412425.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsa4f71d53.jpg

imagejpg2_zps7058b462.jpg

• Like 5

• Founding Member

Looking nice, one of lifes pleasures is cleaning your pride and joy, isn't it?  Good job.

Thanks mate.

You're right in that it's therapeutic especially amongst all the other trials and tribulations in life.....not many people get that though.

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators

Looks good Nigel the best way to keep wear at bay is if your feel yourself slide into the seat, not all products coat the leather with a protective layer so let us know how you get on with it m8y and as it happens I just cleaned my leather yesterday, great minds an all that ;)

post-1-0-22171300-1438353004_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-31982700-1438353171_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I've used that Astonish Leather Cleaner before with good results. I've also used Auto-Glym products and to be honest, there's not much difference between the two.

However............ if your hide needs feeding, then the Auto Glym Hide Food (can't remember the exact name just now) is very good and the difference is very obvious after. If you just need to clean your cow skin the Astonish stuff does what it say on the tin (bottle even!) very well.

Compromise? Use the expensive stuff once or twice a year to clean, protect and shine your moo-cow then use the cheap stuff for general cleaning.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Am I right in thinking Dave there are leather seats....and there are leather covered seats?  There's a big difference as the reason I ask is that there can't be any point feeding a leather covered seat as underneath the leather skin presumably there is a membrane, therefore, any feed will simply stop at the membrane, once it's penetrated the leather.  On these type of seats (which I believe are in our Honda coupes) then just a leather wipe/cleaner will suffice, surely?  On 100% leather seats (like shoes) then it's a different kettle of fish in that the feed will 'feed' the leather and keep the leather supple and prevent cracks etc.

Or have I got it all wrong??  :huh:

• Like 1

• Moderators

In all honesty Geoff i've never even thought about the 100% leather/leather-covered idea. Does make sense though.

However, i'd personally still use leather conditioner on either for one simple reason. As any leather (100% or just coated) dries out, it becomes brittle. If you have a thinner leather on a membrane ( a bit like wood veneer) then it could dry out quicker and become more brittle. As such it would need as much, if not more conditioning than the 100% stuff.

That said, once the conditioner has soaked in and met the membrane, it will stay there and soften the leather from the inside out.

Yes, it can weaken the leather but not to the point where it will snap when you sit on it, like dried out leather can.

I think it's one of those things where there are two schools of though that both have their merits and it's down to choice whether to clean with wipes regularly and use conditioner when it starts getting a bit stiff or to have a cleaning regime where it gets the full works every time.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

The leather in Haze really is clean and immaculate and I want to keep it that way, obviously.  I always prefer leather seats in cars, I like the feel of sitting in leather seats, they're easy to slide into oh...and they do squeak too!  I can see your point regarding nourishing the leather from the inside though to keep is supple.  Next time I'm in Halfrauds I'll have a look at the wipes that contain conditioners etc.  ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

The leather in Haze really is clean and immaculate and I want to keep it that way, obviously.  I always prefer leather seats in cars, I like the feel of sitting in leather seats, they're easy to slide into oh...and they do squeak too!  I can see your point regarding nourishing the leather from the inside though to keep is supple.  Next time I'm in Halfrauds I'll have a look at the wipes that contain conditioners etc.  ;)

Then come home and trawl ebay and Amazon for the same wipes and save yourself a fortune!

• Like 1

• Administrators

My main concern is the bolsters on the drivers seat, when I used Autoglym leather Care Balm last it softened the leather so much is accelerated the wear and the pigment started peel off :o so I've been using the Autoglym Leather Cleaner which is  pH neutral formula that can safely be used on all interior leather surfaces, also carplan wipes with no issues so far ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Seeing as it was not too bad a weather today I decided to feed my Leather Interior with some..........................

cAR7Xz8.jpg

Doesn't look much different but smells and feels so much better! :D

0g8ydDG.jpg

Also, seeing as it was about time I made a start on the Engine Bay with some...........................

lvKwsQU.jpg

But a long way to go yet.... :(

4KvaG6l.jpg

Seeya. :)

I thought I would soften mine up first with the Meguiars as it's really more a Conditioner than Cleaner.

I have the A-G Leather Cleaner aswell which I will tackle it with next week.

Tomorrow I want to give the Paintwork a good deep clean and then a Polish with this:

1f9x6VW.jpg

It's what I used to use on my Rover 75.... ;) So easy to work with and excellent results!