Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord 3.0 V6 Bad Engine Mount "FAILURE & FIX"

hughezee

• Founding Member

That's a bummer as it's a Tuesday and I'll be at work.  I've not long secured my dream job so I don't want to be having any days off just yet....well not until my 3 month probation has finished.  ;)  If it was a Saturday or Sunday then I'd be there.  Take your camera Charles as we're expecting lots of lovely pics on the day.  Whenever I'm at Stu's it's either during the monsoon season, colder than absolute zero or a hurricane is passing through!!  :lol:  Then again, the weather at last years meet was great.....over 10 coupes all in one place...coupe heaven.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

:o shocking.  There appears to be a spate of coupes having new engine mounts at the moment, mine included.  Still, not bad, they've lasted a good 15-18 years and have probably just reached the end of their usable life...they just seem to be all failing at once.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I agree on both accounts, mine has just passed the 100K milestone and failed plus when you consider it's had 15+ years of continual hot/cold/oil/solvents/water etc then they haven't performed too bad for such a critical component.  Honda Rules. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hello Stu.

Upon inspection I found this to be the condition:

YjZayc8.jpg

JF1M07w.jpg

I would say that the firmness by sticking your thumb into the lower rubber section was similar to that of doing the same to a Tennis Ball. (You can see the marks I left in the photographs).

What would you surmise by this and the fact stated earlier concerning the 'Klonking'?

Thanks.

ps. I cannot see any evidence of Oil leakage.

• Administrators

The engine mount looks reasonable, but I would double check the base of it as it does look reminiscent of a failed mount and also check for excessive movement. I changed mine before it failed as it can stress the differential on the transmission ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Stu and Dave.

Comments taken on board.

I have found this Mount on Ebay, any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291615731683?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

I know most probable a knock-off but looks reasonable enough - certainly better than the price from Honda that Stu quoted... :)

Since I have done another ATF change I will do another Video but this one just driving normally - i don't normally drive like that at all. Even then my foot wasn't anywhere near flat!

Thanks again for all you advice, much appreciated. ;)

ps. I forgot to mention that I can move the engine backwards and forward about and inch with just one hand.

• Administrators

I have supplied a few mounts for members and this one looks decent, although I think it's the solid LX version as its showing both part numbers for solid and the oil filled specification: 50820S87A81 and the standard 50820SR3013 either way well worth replacing ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

If there's that much play then either you're a distant relative of The Incredible Hulk or the engine mount is shot! :o

LOL..... :D Definitely the latter Dave..... !! Although I did have a lot of Spinach that day! ;)

12 hours ago, hughezee said:

I have supplied a few mounts for members and this one looks decent, although I think it's the solid LX version as its showing both part numbers for solid and the oil filled specification: 50820S87A81 and the standard 50820SR3013 either way well worth replacing ;)

Thanks Stu.

How much were yours?

• Administrators
On 11/01/2017 at 10:36 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Yes, it's our old "friend" John Cadogan ranting about an S-Class engine mount that has failed at 48000km. The car cost AU$250000 and the engine mount is AU$1300 to repair! :o

I watched this one it is bloomin' disgusting really, but soooooooooo funny too

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 11/01/2017 at 10:55 PM, hughezee said:

I watched this one it is bloomin' disgusting really, but soooooooooo funny too

I'm amazed Mercedes don't just have the car back and change the engine mount, if it had done that mileage inside a year they wouldn't have quibbled and let's face it, it's only about 27000 miles so quite easily done.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 11/01/2017 at 11:02 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

I'm amazed Mercedes don't just have the car back and change the engine mount, if it had done that mileage inside a year they wouldn't have quibbled and let's face it, it's only about 27000 miles so quite easily done.

They just make it up as they go along and it's the cars I'm talking about, not their customer service because clearly, they don't have any :lol::rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Just had a poke around the engine mount, small amount of splitting at one part but more of a concern, although I need an expert on this one, is it "missing" a piece at the top of the mount..can see through it ! .

Should it have a gap or are they "complete" all the way round?

W7lLUdp.jpg

iqsiPFa.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

The gap is meant to be there Pete, strange though it may seem! At least the inner part of yours is joined to the outer part, the ones on mine don't even meet! They're not meant to though, just a centre bush with lobes on the outside - manual versions of mine have a bush more like yours though!

That said the perishing on yours probably needs looking at but it's only really a stabiliser mount, the main engine mounts are block to subframe. ;):D

• Like 2