Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe 3.0 V6 "PROJECT EMERALD"

hughezee

• Administrators

This was recently mentioned in potential purchases with a rare engine management warning light :o and I said would have loved to find out what was wrong with it. :lol:

IMG_20160419_191306_zpsklg22x8p.jpg

IMG_20160419_191322_zps9ybqvvox.jpg

Quick conversion with Rob AKA coupe man and its landed safely at H6 HQ within less than 24 hours of the auction end.

So I welcome you all to project emerald, the car drives great but its not without faults as mentioned in the video  there's transmission shudder when changing down, easily solved with fresh fluid and the Bank 1 lambda is slow to respond, so a replacement sensor is not urgent, so Dave's suspicion was on the money. However it has a EGR & air control problem, so the emissions are pretty high as result.. Also surprisingly the ABS module has a fault, also the power steering pump is noisy with bit of foam, so either a air leak or ATF has been put in there :rolleyes:

I hope its a quick turn around on this one, full service book and plenty of receipts so its been regularly maintained, HPI clear and body work is good for the age ect ect

Any members interested in the car drop me a PM, also look out for a few follow up posts coming soon ;)

• Like 2

• The topic was featured
  • Founding Member

Nice, looks nice and tidy Stu.  You'll enjoy working on that, nothing major on past MOT's either.  ;)

Registration number: X385VBK

• Vehicle make HONDA
  • Vehicle model ACCORD
  • Date first used 1 November 2000
  • Fuel type Petrol
  • Colour Green

MOT history of this vehicle

• Test date 1 October 2015
  • Expiry date 23 October 2016
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 118,760 miles
  • MOT test number 7125 8860 3550
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)
    Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 40mm circle outside zone 'A' (8.3.1d)
    Nails in nearside rear tyre
    slight play in steering rack mountings
  • Test date 1 October 2015
  • Test Result Fail
  • Odometer reading 118,760 miles
  • MOT test number 3251 9497 9175
  • Reason(s) for failure
    offside front upper Steering locking device missing (2.2.C.1g)
    Bonnet cannot be secured in the closed position (8.4.1)
    Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)
    Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 40mm circle outside zone 'A' (8.3.1d)
    Nails in nearside rear tyre
    slight play in steering rack mountings
  • Test date 10 October 2014
  • Expiry date 23 October 2015
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 111,872 miles
  • MOT test number 7479 8328 4220
  • Test date 27 September 2013
  • Expiry date 23 October 2014
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 99,116 miles
  • MOT test number 3160 9077 3408
    Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Supplementary Restraint System warning lamp does not illuminate (5.4.2)
  • Test date 24 September 2012
  • Expiry date 23 October 2013
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 85,559 miles
  • MOT test number 3359 5896 2460
    Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Offside Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
  • Test date 29 September 2011
  • Expiry date 26 October 2012
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 77,396 miles
  • MOT test number 5984 9217 1255
    Rear Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
    SRS light on
  • Test date 27 September 2010
  • Expiry date 26 October 2011
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 73,006 miles
  • MOT test number 7125 7057 0213
  • Test date 9 October 2009
  • Expiry date 26 October 2010
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 69,629 miles
  • MOT test number 9048 4288 9284
  • Test date 9 October 2008
  • Expiry date 26 October 2009
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 66,663 miles
  • MOT test number 7012 2348 8294
  • Test date 26 October 2007
  • Expiry date 26 October 2008
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 63,129 miles
  • MOT test number 9642 0979 7247
  • Test date 27 September 2006
  • Expiry date 26 October 2007
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 58,847 miles
  • MOT test number 6243 3077 6260
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Quick update, the exhaust needs welding or replacing, front engine mount is shot, bonnet release cable is stretched, new PCV valve :rolleyes:

IMG_20160420_092808_zpsougkizec.jpg

Power steering fluid has settled overnight, no visible leaks so I suspect fluid has been mixed.

IMG_20160420_093023_zpsrhjtlcog.jpg

Also coolant is past its best and engine and transmission are overfilled :huh:

IMG_20160420_092922_zpsqof4arxe.jpg

IMG_20160420_092858_zps5zmkwsqi.jpg

IMG_20160420_092838_zpsvdmjw6x7.jpg

No fluid leaks visible ^_^ but I did check that yesterday... 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think the majority of the faults are down to the fluid levels being too high Stu - including the PAS fluid being foamy. If it's overfilled it will do the same as the transmission fluid does and try to compress, forcing air into the fluid and resultant cavitation in the pump. It could have wrecked the pump so it is still putting air in, even thoguh the level is ok.

Similar goes for the EGR valve - probably just needs cleaning and got clogged as a result of too high an engine oil level. That's probably causing the front bank Lambda fault as well although the sensor could be on its way out. This could also be contributory to the shuddery downchanges due to strange vacuum levels on the over-run.

As for the ABS fault - i wonder if a fuse has blown elsewhere and some bright spark borrowed the one that feeds the ABS modulator pimp to get something like lighting to work again? Could be worth a look.

Certainly a nice looking car and one i wouldn't mind owning. :D

• Like 2

• Administrators

There are a few test procedures to eliminate other possible causes of the electrical faults, first thing I checked was the fuse and the ABS pump isn't switching on even with a ground bypass, something often suggested in the Honda workshop manuals. Also the power steering pump is whining a little and the fluid was pretty foamy and the steering is heavier than mine and after going through the paperwork today in the history the PAS fluid was topped off with car-lube steering fluid but there is bulletin on a 0-ring that can course the aeration effect as well :rolleyes:

Will be investigating more thoroughly over the weekend and hopefully fixing things ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Is the ABS pump fed by a relay Stu? I've known them go quite often, particularly on Bosch based ABS systems.

Might be worth doing that "O" ring just as a precaution, then changing the fluid. Without checking, i'm fairly sure Carlube ATF-U meets the specifics for Honda PAS Fluid so that might be an option - the bit of SealSwell in the ATF could help a bit ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Major earthing issue found :o sadly not all the electrical niggles have been solved as result replacing the broken cable, but its still progress ;)

IMG_20160424_141826_zpsyyshqvru.jpg

IMG_20160424_141837_zpsdu6azswd.jpg

All taped up, so somebody went to the trouble of shielding the wire, but why not replace it :rolleyes:

IMG_20160424_160154_zps8xdwzwqh.jpg

Engine mount swapped and lowered transmission fluid and did the oil & filter change as well :)

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 24/04/2016 at 9:48 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

I'm confused. Was that main earth cable just dangling in the breeze but taped up with duct tape????

Your not confused m8, its was routed in all the clips so not easily spotted until I went under the car for fluid duties and spotted some cellotape rapped around a cable  :mellow: I didn't realize what it was at first, until I went back up top and it pulled straight though, thankfully I kept a fairly new one which was taken from project break.

Starts and runs a little better now, so no prizes for guessing why though :lol:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Well a little bit of progress to report, EGR & Passage was blocked and the high idle has been solved with a de carbonising the IAC valve and throttle body and a full ECM reset. Since leaving it 12 hours it then refused to start. ^_^ well after a couple of attempts it spluttered into life and shortly after white smoke was everywhere and within minutes its running like a champ now with no engine management light :D nevertheless I will be replacing the plugs to improve the cold idle and might replace or clean the dizzy & rotor?

So its all looking good peeps, despite the ABS issue which keeps flagging up, but that's for another day :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's probably rebelling at having some maintenance work done on its breathing system, hence the coughing and spluttering!

Cleaning the dizzy cap and rotor arm and also where the king lead enters the coil won't do any harm at all and eliminates them from the equation. New plugs should help too! ;)

As for the ABS, my guess would be a sticky modulator pump. It's probably suffered lack of use due to that earthing problem and maybe seized or partially siezed. If the earthing problem is definitely solved, it might pay to try direct feeding the +ve terminal of the pump motor, maybe just "flicking" it with the wire to jerk it a bit to free it off then give it a few short bursts of a second or two each time, just to get it moving again.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

IMG_20160724_1158581_zpsulcjlmu9.jpg

Up on the ramps, for exhaust swap ;)

IMG_20160724_1159311_zpsn0f6bm6w.jpg

Running so much sweeter now back pressure is restored, however its still seems to be over fuelling ^_^

IMG_20160724_1311231_zpsfzs3vmsj.jpg

Also checked the A.C system and all looks good for a simple receiver replacement & refrigerant refill :)

IMG_20160724_1425541_zpsjjdpt9r1.jpg

Quick wash from Retro Rich, although car still needs detailing to remove some light scratches and marks :unsure:

IMG_20160724_1558381_zps4gmhhhun.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Over-fuelling you say Stu? Has the battery been disconnected and/or flat recently? Could also be an air lock, CTS, EICV and a few other things or possibly the fuel pressure regulator/vac hose for same.

No granny/eggs scenarios intended, just throwing a couple of ideas up.

Looking good though! ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Some good suggestions buddy ;) but the car had a lambda issue upon arrival and there was a strong smell of fuel of present at every stage of a repair in including the exhaust swap. Anyway I've done a ECU reset and things are 90% normal, so thinking of treating myself to a new lambda and swap over my old one and job done, well almost. 

IMG_20160729_173631_zpsqby7asnz.jpg

Also I have been detailing and removed a nasty mark featured on this topic: http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/130-body-work-light-scratch-removal-diy-scratched-car/&do=findComment&comment=14249

IMG_20160729_173622_zpsxerthmje.jpg

IMG_20160729_173645_zpshu53iuri.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

Lambda sensor was amongst my other ideas Stu - i was thinking along the lines of the bits most likely to give trouble after a lay-up/flat battery. All this talk of Lambdas has reminded me of something i need to add to my LPG thread............... ;):D

• Like 1