Subscriptions & Donations ×

Takata Airbag Recall

Jon

• Administrators

Hi Jon, this has been discussed extensively already and rest assured it is not as bad as you might think? Takata went bankrupt over a recall several years ago and lots of records have been lost so Honda is just playing it safe. Most of the recalled vehicles are not actually affected, but Honda is doing its own checks and building its own database. See topic below 👉

• Like 2

Thank you very much and you weren't kidding about it being extensively discussed ! The way I am thinking I could have written song sheet that most of you were singing from !  I particularly concur with your posting of the 24th November 2020.

Nobody is going to mess with my Coupe unless I am in attendance. There may be trouble ahead.... I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again Jon 

• Like 3

Hi , same happened to me yesterday Drivers air bag recall . Rang local Vertu honda garage "Yes Sir when would you like to book it in ? next friday " Ok can we offer you a car wash a winter health check and reeled of a list as long as your arm of what they would do (inspect, top up,  and measure , wheels off ect) and we will even send you a recording of the technician doing the inspection and a printed report. All for £35 which to me does not seem to bad. If nothing else it will tell me what jobs I will have to do over the winter . Bet the don`t tell me the bulbs out on the clock .

• Like 3

Update , took car in at 8am , they asked if I would like to wait while the inspection was done . How long I said? 90 min they said , no I will collect about 3pm , OK they said will keep you informed . Back at 3pm car has pride of place on forecourt underneath large dealer sign (Photos taken) you would because you can . Short video sent to my phone shows what had been done . the one negative highlighted (fuel and main brake pipes would be an advisory on an MOT) the ones that run the length of the car . Collected my paperwork (very detailed ) paid the bill and left .At no time did I feel pressured or did they try to sell me anything (gave me a goody bag of car care items) . I would give them a 9 just because they didn`t pick up the light was out on the clock . One happy bunny . Forgot to say that they replaced the air bag cos they could because they had one in stock .🚗

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

I had my V6 airbag recall notice over 1 year ago. Rang my local Derby dealership to book it in. They booked it in and then telephoned me back an hour or so later to cancel it, citing they didn’t have the airbags in stock. They were on back order, didn’t know when they would be in and that they would contact me when they had them. 

A year later and no reply, somewhat miffed I rang around other dealerships to see if I could get it sorted. Nottingham dealership had the airbags, booked it in for a week later. They had wonderful phone skills and visiting them, they made me feel like nothing was too much trouble. I don’t think I have ever felt like that at any other main dealership. I came away with a smile as they all praised the condition of the car and said it was a wonderful example.

Nottingham is a bit further for me, but I know where I would go and advise others to go. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 11/23/2021 at 4:21 PM, Torogo said:

Heading into Honda Reading for my airbag replacement on Saturday. Hoping for the VIP treatment some have reported, but not holding my breath... any other members down here been thru the process there?

How did it go , in Reading ???

Are they a go to main dealer??

In your good books now? Christmas card material 🤣

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jon said:

Gave all my details in writing to Honda main dealers in Leatherhead two weeks ago. So far just roars of silence. I won't be chasing them.

It's just not good enough with some if these so called main dealers.

I appreciate that you don't want waste time chasing them, I wouldn't either but what I would do is find out who the chief exec is for the group that run the dealership and email that person a strongly worded "appreciation of your Customer Service "  !!!!!!!

We need to start pushing back against this countries lack of service .

• Like 2

...Turned up at 08:00 to be front of the queue to be told ‘they’d been trying to get hold of me’ as they didn’t have details of the car to order the parts against. Was all booked in 3 weeks back, and full details given then (or they shouldn’t have booked it!). The lady receptionist played the ‘my first week here’ card to stem my irritation, so as it stands they have the details now, but I’ve not been contacted with an alternative booking. I get that it’s a 22year old car, and the task won’t make them rich, but overlook the fact that we bought a car there just last year, so it could hurt them in the longer run.

and yep it was the main franchised dealer for Reading (Basingstoke having closed a couple years back so their patch has grown) :(

will try again at some point!

• grrrr 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Torogo said:

...Booked for a re-run with Reading Honda on 30th Dec. Little Christmas treat for them to have a real Honda to play with!

Will keep you posted 👍

Good luck !

Hope they have ordered the correct bits for a COUPE ..........🤪🤪🤪

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I received a reminder yesterday from dvsa about the air bag inflator recall on my coupe.  I have received a few letters about this over the years, but not acted on it as I'm not very close to a Honda dealer.  

I wonder if Honda is charged by dvsa for the recall letters that they send?

• Like 1

• Administrators

I got my reminder(s) as well, last time I made an appointment the Honda dealer cancelled on me. 🤪 I guess I best make another appointment and get it sorted even though I'm not convinced they're actually replacing the unit.🤨

• Like 1

I wasn't happy with the quality of workmanship for mine. Had my Takata airbag recall done, few years ago. Had it booked in at my local Honda dealers for a day. Got the car back and when I looked inside, I had found out, that the interior fuse panel cover looked in-secure, like if they just wedged it in place. Removed it and found the screws holding the lower trim to the glovebox, were all sticking out, waiting to fall out of place. Not even hand tightened. You could argue that this is minor, but not what you would expect from experienced Honda technicians. I dred to think how their quality of work was like replacing and fitting the airbag components. But that was only my experience at my local dealer and as always safety comes first.

• Sad 1

• Founding Member

I took my coupe in around 2 years ago to teh Honda dealer in Stockport but I am convinced they did nothing.  No sign of anything being disturbed, no extra marks and none of the existing marks seemed altered....

• Like 1
  • grrrr 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Jon said:

Got mine yesterday from the dvla and wondered what their next move will be ? Will they block MOT's ? Anyone know ? Regards Jon

There is no legal requirement to get this done , say for an mot...

However,  if the recall is for some safety issue, like brakes, then unless the brake problem failed the mot test the only legal ussue would be "driving a motor vehicle that does not comply with legislation " or some such thing...construction and use maybe?

If you have a car without an airbag , does this fail the test ?? ...if you have one fitted and it shows a light on the dash..it fails...

If the airbag works but might not, or overblow, as in this case I don't believe it falls foul of legislation...

• Like 1