Subscriptions & Donations ×

Takata Airbag Recall

Jon

• Founding Member
On 4/8/2023 at 9:42 AM, PaulS said:

I took my coupe in around 2 years ago to teh Honda dealer in Stockport but I am convinced they did nothing.  No sign of anything being disturbed, no extra marks and none of the existing marks seemed altered....

I got mine done last Monday and have to say I also questioned if they’d done anything as the interior was unmarked, smudge free and just how I had left it. Also, correct me if I’m wrong, they’d need to have disconnected the battery right? If so the clock was not back to 00.00 (unless they reset the time) also my radio presets weren’t reset either along with the audio settings? 

The only way to have this confirmed would be to take the steering wheel off and check the bag right? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AhsyV6 said:

they’d need to have disconnected the battery right?

I would think so, you really don't want to be playing with airbags with the power still on....could they have pulled fuses instead? That might explain radio / clock still being correct.

Still waiting on my FIRST letter for recall 😝😝😝😝😝

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If this is going over old ground I am sorry, however this topic is still current with me.

In no particular order I am grateful to PTR whose opinion that MOTs were unlikely to be sanctioned appears correct. An MOT examiner of many years who is well known to me knows of no such case.

In the absence of securing the assistance of a trustworthy main dealer I pulled the fuse and looked at my example of the offending airbag. Equipped with the part number I then started my research.

The contention that airbags may be over pressurised is misleading they are not pressurised they contain explosive ! Initially this was Sodium Azide (pre 2000) this proved too toxic. Takarta then invented an alternative they called Envirosure around 1999 this was actually Tetrazole which wasn't toxic but too expensive. They then reverted to Ammonium Nitrate a cheap traditional explosive (ask the Oklahoma bomber or the IRA) which had they included a drying agent might have been stable ongoing. However it absorbed atmospheric moisture (over decades) and the resulting steam explosion if detonated resulted in increased pressure. Prior to their collapse Takara used a rocket fuel Guanidinium Nitrate together with a copper nitrate oxidizer to lower the temperature.

There is no defined date line to confirm the fitting of any airbags.... it is a mess. My Coupe was manufactured in 1998. It may have a any of the first three explosives mentioned. As yet I have not gained access to databases which would translate the part number I have.

Any new information forthcoming will be gratefully received.

I have never been a fan of airbags and even less so now. Any explosion close to my face is unappealing. The fuse will remain out save for the purpose of passing my next MOT. There is a certain madness in this akin to vaccines and vaccine damage. But who can argue with statistics ?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Wow ! You have been busy !

Seems like a lot of messing around by manufacturers and "law makers" read interfering bunch !!

I haven't even had a recall letter for mine...its a 2001 model...wonder if it was all change again by that time????

• Like 1

2001 and you haven't had a recall ? They may be right there again they might not. Just goes to show what a mess they are in ! Honda and Honda UK are on an arse covering mission to avoid possible  future litigation. Worldwide 30 deaths due to defective airbags have so far been recorded. Not to mention many hundreds of life changing injuries inflicted by this ghastly invention ! 

To keep secret the type of explosives utilized is unacceptable. If they really want to put the record straight they should publish the real truth. What explosives were used and when they were intoduced. The part numbers must mean something mustn't they ?

To now involve DVLA in this country is testament to their desperation and in my opinion just a further attempt to avoid litigation.

The rewards for Main Dealers to fix the problem is clearly not attractive enough for them to take it seriously.Together with the natural decline of affected vehicles they are in no doubt hoping the problem will go away.

• Moderators

The problem is with the airbag manufacturer. 

Honda are just another car manufacturer caught up in this as Takata supplied numerous car makers all of which activated recalls using the DVLA database, the only way of contacting owners, not a way of avoiding litigation,  just a practical way to get those affected cars back to the dealers.

The bigger problem, as you correctly state, is that Takata didn't really seem to fix the problem...hence the numerous recalls but many owners just ignored the recall and presumably every so often that recall is activated again...in my case I have no idea why there has been no recall for my car.

• Like 1

• Administrators

The first wave of recalls affected much younger vehicles initially and like I have mentioned before when Takata went bust on 11 April 2018 and all manufacturers started building records I what vehicles were actually affected as they suspect it could be a bigger problem. 😏 My coupe goes in on the 16th June and I will be security marking my current airbag(s) to actually see if anything gets changed as I don't believe all coupes are affected.

20230606_231341[1].jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

Thank you for sharing a photograph of your airbag. I am frustrated that working on a fire tablet there is no facility for uploading to URL. I now have two photographs of airbags, the first is my 1998 example the second was offered to me on Ebay for £20. 

I notice that yours, you don't say the year, displays a "2" . Mine displays "T2" .

The EBay one displays "U2"

Someone somewhere knows what this means?

If anyone would be kind enough to email me I could attach the photos for further consideration

Thanks Jon

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jon said:

Thank you for sharing a photograph of your airbag.

This is a picture of a spare I have, it is from a 1998 coupe, I have a UK Accord one I will dig it out and compare it, as that model wasn't recalled.🤨

I don't know why I didn't think of doing it before. I intend to send the picture of my airbag by email to Brayleys the so far unresponsive Honda main dealers in Leatherhead. Their response might be very interesting.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Jon said:

I don't know why I didn't think of doing it before. I intend to send the picture of my airbag by email to Brayleys the so far unresponsive Honda main dealers in Leatherhead. Their response might be very interesting.

I am thinking they're likely not going to interact with you over an explosive device, deemed to only be handled by a trained technician.😶

Still might be worth a shot... 🤔

Thank you for posting the pictures for me Stu 

Phoned Brayleys in Leatherhead Honda main dealers asking why the had not got back to me? They replied that the HPI database had said my vehicle was a Jaguar. Pity they did not reveal this at the time. You could not make this up could you. Eventually established that it was an Accord Coupe. Suggested we could avoid further hassle if they examined a photograph of the airbag details.They declined to cooperate but suggested Honda Customer Relations might.

Tried Honda Customer Relations who stated that no information regarding chemical content was available, they also declined. Ever felt like a sterilized barge pole ?

Any ideas ? Perhaps there's Honda main dealers in Ukraine....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Well, the airbag inflator portion wasn't replaced, after a heated discussion with the service dept with they tried to tell me they changed parts inside the inflator unit which is a load of B.S. When I told them I marked the unit and the screws and put fishing line around the steering wheel, they went red-faced and couldn't say anything else, so I just walked out.🤬

20230623_131955.jpg

The car spent 20 mins in a service bay and came back without anything out of place and the battery wasn't even disconnected the clock was still 4 minutes fast and the trip had the same mileage. Anyway, I called Honda UK and I explained what happened, they were very apologetic but kept pushing to get me booked in at another dealer in the meantime. Nope, not doing anything until I hear back from somebody higher up about this crap. 🤨

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • grrrr 2

• Founding Member

Although I did not set any traps and cannot prove anything, I am also convinced nothing was done to my car at the supposed recall.  Dealers taking money (from Honda this time) for nothing perhaps....

• Sad 1
  • grrrr 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Stu ! ..... Very well done !

Absolutely scandalous but in no way surprising !

If ever there were grounds for a class action ???

Should you consider I would gladly contribute in any way I could.

Can't wait to hear how Honda UK respond .....

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

Though my steering wheel did get replaced for a matching uk spec walnut one by previous owner

Yes the Type-V steering wheel 😃 + the UK model isn't part of the recall = RESULT 👍

• Like 3

• 1 month later...