Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe Keyless Entry Fob

Andy Mc

Previous owner lost the key fob, was a bit miffed initially but that was soon pushed to one side when taking ownership of the car. But now its bugging me having to wait by the drivers door until the tribe have got out and shut the door before I can lock it. That and these dark months just prodding for the keyhole in the rain when hands are full.

I've seen a variety of replacement ones for the model from a variety of countries and prices ranging from £15 - £70

They all look the same and state you just need to programme it or have it learn the code? Does anyone have any experience in this area and idea of end costs or should I keep poking with the key?

• Like 2

• Moderators

I only had one fob when i got mine, everything worked fine but I decided I would like a spare so got a secondhand one off eBay.

Easy to programme in using instructions available on line....did the same for my Jag and my Tourer....only one I came unstuck with was one of the Jazz, first one I bought was the wrong frequency but second was fine.

I can't remember codes offhand for the Coupe but will try and look them up when I get in from work......others will have chimed in, with the answers, before then I guess !!!!

Ps never used my second fob in the time i have had the Coupe !!!!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe Keyless Entry Fob
  • Moderators

Just check the boot lock is free, any stiffness upsets them.. may be possible to check it with boot open...

Drivers door solonoid is probably fubar or again stuck if its never operated for a long time, former probably though. I think there is a thread on here too, I cant see it right now, phone is a pain to search for stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Couple of years ago, maybe more, I got a Chinese fob and stripped the buttons out to put into my genuine Honda unit....now the buttons have worn through again....

Found a supplier , Fob-tronics,  who sent out the case for a total of £2.49 delivered... five minute job to change the internal bits over...however the case they sent is a pretty good replica and would be fine if anyone needs the complete thing.

New case on the right obviously...even the logo looks half decent but in the interest of keeping the original case with the separate battery compartment access I just changed the buttons.

new-fob-bits1.jpg

Note the old buttons, last times Chinese version, have broken apart in use.

new-fob-bits2.jpg

New buttons installed, case looking a bit worn now too, I guess. 

new-fob-bits3.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators
On 11/30/2019 at 10:39 AM, Andy Mc said:

So it doesn't alarm and for an extra kick the boot doesn't pop

Sounds like the boot and drivers door actuators have failed (replaced a few now) one member repaired the driver's door unit, relativity inexpensively worth a shot IMO

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

Thanks for the heads up. It's been too dark, wet, cold and me v.busy to even think about looking at anything yet.

I do recall though when the glass dropped off during the summer and taking the door card etc away. I noticed the locking system and pin/arm? Was bodged on and held in place by a big lump of semi hardened goo. Clearly been off previously, bust and stuck back together. Got the window back in ok and lubed up but daren't return to the lock 😕 It was working (not sure how) so gingerly worked around it and left it be.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Fob died tonight .,..

At first the suspect was the battery but changing it to a shiny new one didn't bring it to life.

Pressing the buttons revealed that the locking button and the boot unlock clicked as per normal whilst the unlock button did not.

Pulling the button membrane out of the casing, that  also contains the electronics card , revealed that the parts of the membrane over the button had holed right through the rubber. Just pinholes but nonetheless, holed.

The membrane received in the last casing I bought was slightly too large for the orginal Honda casing but the original Chinese version bought a couple of years ago fitted perfectly.

Assembling the bits restored the click action and with a new battery installed as well the the fob returned to normal working operation, success !

Moral of the story is that if your rubber has holes in it then you may find yourself locked out,..............so I am reliably informed...!!!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

I purchased the same fob - buttons had broken on the original and I thought I'd just use the whole thing but I couldn't get it to work for love not money. I ended up using the buttons in the old fob.

I think possibly the battery doesn't sit tight, dunno, I lost interest after ten minutes of trying to make it work. It could be the rubber has something to do with it mind!

Nice to have new buttons in the original fob tho 😀

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Kelvin said:

I purchased the same fob - buttons had broken on the original and I thought I'd just use the whole thing but I couldn't get it to work for love not money. I ended up using the buttons in the old fob.

I think possibly the battery doesn't sit tight, dunno, I lost interest after ten minutes of trying to make it work. It could be the rubber has something to do with it mind!

Nice to have new buttons in the original fob tho 😀

Yeah, think that rubber doesn't sit right in the casing.... just too big....

Mine still working ok, now consists of three remotes parts nailed together!!!!           out in the Coupe this morning for a good zap round !!!!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

Never had a remote with the car, and when I thought I'd found the correct one on ebay, the seller said it wouldn't work, due to the wrong serial number. I presume they have to match? If so, I can't find one that will fit. 

20200611-105553.thumb.jpg.jpg
20200611-105601.thumb.jpg.jpg

• Confused 1

• Administrators

I was a little confused for a second then as that's the receiver unit, but it should still work as intended assuming its the same plug socket? I fitted one from a coupe into my odyssey and works fine but you still need to pair the fob with the receiver unit.

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

Didn't explain that very well, did I. The photos are, as you have deduced, the receiver unit that I have removed from my car. I've been looking for the correct remote Key fob, and the seller on ebay said his wouldn't work, because the part number was incorrect and not matching.

• Like 1