Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion , it's BLUE, V6 & 3 litre !!!

PTR200S

• Moderators

Cheers, Rich !

It's coming along nicely now, getting it somewhere near to the standard I can live with !  

Looks like my trims for the UK sat nav will be here Friday so maybe get some interior pics posted.?

• Like 2

• Moderators

Just considering oil for this motor, checking Opie they say a fully synthetic 0-30 oil is the one.

I don't like 0 to anything oils, always more comfortable with at least a starter for 5 better yet a 10... Say 10-40.

Anyone any thoughts on oil for this 2004 engine? 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I have to agree Pete, a 5W30 or maybe even a 5W40 would be preferable over a 0Wxx in my book but the current trend seems to be for oils thinner than water. :o

That said and i'm sure Stu can confirm this, it is after all a J30 (albeit a 250bhp one when running on all 6 apparently) and they normally run 10W40 but the VCM may call for a thinner oil.

However, so many engines are now being produced that specify say a 0W30 and the oil companies will find that they still give protection (when the oil is new of course) for older engines and say it's good for that engine.

When i was just a young pup, i had something or other that specified 20W50 and could i find any? Local factors recommended 10W40 instead so i used it but jeeeezz, did that thing burn oil!!!!! Finally found some 20W50, changed it and no more burning!

Been having a similar argument on the Volvo forum, some cleverdick thinks it's a good idea to use 0W30 (or was it 5W30) in the red block turbo engine - minimum spec on that is 10W40 according to Volvo but because it has a turbo (albeit 25 years old now) this muppet thinks that as the new 0W30 oil is specified for turbo engines, it's a good idea!

The engines were designed a quarter of a century apart (more if you go back to the OHV red block) so need different oils but numbnuts couldn't see that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Got to bath it properly today, need a ladder to do the roof  ?  

Still got a long way to go but cleaning up fairly well now, next up is each individual panel as they are as rough as a bears a$&£ although it looks good when you run your fingers over the paint it needs to be silky and this is definitely not ! most panels but not all.

Need wheels and tyres doing now too!

elysion_240518.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

LED bulbs for the interior lights arrived today, they are not very long, slightly longer than the t10 they are replacing by a couple of mm. 

I ordered 10, 4 in the door puddles and another 4 for the rear compartment, the latter having an overhead light on each side and each of the rows of seats ? and 1 for the boot area, leaving one spare.

The map lights, over the dash area, are festoon type, 2 of.

The pictures are not great, camera didn't like the brightness I don't think ! but big improvement.

The point of the story is that I searched for the shortest bulb available due to a lack of clearance behind the lense of each lamp unit but ultmately it's still a problem;

The door puddles are fine, the overheads are not, even though they are a couple of mm over the standard length it now compromises the push on push facility of each individual light.

The good news is they come on when the doors open plus the driver can override all door/manual switches and turn them on or off from the driving seat ?

The festoons in the front map lights are fine and don't get in the way of the push switch lense.

So, once again, size DOES matter !??

elysion_interior_led_1.jpg

elysion_interior_led_2.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Unfortunately the wrong air filter has been sent by the importer.... the correct one should be 17220 RKB 505 but there are no pattern versions of this and its 35 quid for a genuine Honda version... BUT

The Honda Legend one 07/08 version 3.5 litre looks to be similiar... 17220 RDA A00 and 13 quid genuine too

You guys with the Legends out there any chance you might have one hanging around that you could measure up for me ?? really appreciate it. ! ? thanks

• Moderators

That's a pain Pete, have a look at this :

https://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx#&&09lRt97wGL4oKGZ/s/iYNe3NgFf3ztJMv4zTIdPsV95DQH+pdXHOxDNV7psMBjuwZlJxnaYHFWCDbPkx/eSirvePZxYe5EZVqW8PFWpHe0hfMFVyIReoEXi9QkBWqu2YaKQ5MomTFdozvC2yTf8RAZC/3oy0Lt7Zd4J3iKP3BaakZEzC+KUg3FYFFEGZB+8aX25aSioo7qKA2sJJq4UF26OQ2X8oHdmP7ImaiUnaJTjdRvkIvp2EKrpV2lqswTNA

It's a long link as it covers all Odyssey models (they don't list Elysion so went for closest equivalent) and if you click the relevant part number eg 33-2174, it brings up all the details. For example :

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2174

Application list, dimensions, cross references etc. are all there, only thing is, the Honda part number you quote doesn't bring anything up. Maybe there's another Honda part number that will cross-refer though. ;):D

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Couple of interiors a la Stumobile ?

Packed with seats !?

elysion_interior_1.jpg

and closer ! Check out the versatile middle seat, upright as now then third seat (just!) with its own headrest but the complete thing also drops forward and as you can see gives two cupholders in a central armrest ! Plus all seats have "captains" armrests too.

The rear set of sets are the same but without the cupholders.

On the backs of the passenger seat and driver seat to clip out hooks for hanging "yer 'andbag on !" All seats with rear pockets too.

elysion_interior_2.jpg

Out in the sunshine now, substantially cleaner than before, on with 303 on tyres next.

polished_5_270518.jpg

polished_6_270518.jpg

polished__2_270518.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

Having done as much as possible until further parts arrived i decided to put a few miles down and pick up some fuel too.

The engine is geared for both unleaded and super unleaded, when standard unleaded is used the ecu detects this (no idea how yet) and reduces power by 10% , not a huge problem when there is 250 horses in at your disposal, leaving 25 of them back at the stable is not a problem.

On that basis i put super unleaded in.. with 10 miles under the wheels it doesn't feel any different until its booted off the line. There is enough power to unstick the new tyres for a couple of seconds until the transmission gets into gear as it were.

Still really smooth on just three cylinders and the transition to six pots is seemless.

Fuel consumption on mixed town driving and max 50mph roads, plus a couple of quick starts, whilst i was out resulted in 12km to the litre which translates to over 33mpg.

The ride is compliant, soft even, much like our Coupe and smooth. Very quiet inside but as usual the Honda tyre roar.

All in all very impressed so far ?

• Like 2

• Moderators

I might be wrong on this Pete but i'm fairly sure the way it detects the octane rating is to advance the ignition timing until it just detects knock/pinking then retard it a degree or two. Pretty certain the PGM-Fi does this on mine, when i used water injection in the past (needs a minor repair at present so losing out slightly), the timing advanced to give improved performance and economy, when the water ran out - jeeez was it sluggish by comparison!

Glad you're getting down and dirty on the road at long last and that it drives how you like! ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Reckon that's probably the way , the knock sensors will do that effectively and as you say retard the timing...this engine has other things going on too like the three cylinder juggle and the way the cruise control interacts with the ecu under the eco condition....

Very worrying if things go wrong with it... Have found the obd port though !!!!

Just been told we are off to the boot sale tomorrow morning... Have to pick up other family members so all eight seats occupied !!! Then we will see how it manages ?

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'd hazard a guess the ECU monitors how much load is on the three cylinders and switches them back in as and when according to load - you may find that 8-up it only ever runs on all 6 pots tomorrow.

Hopefully things won't go wrong, it's a Honda after all! Is the OBD-II port on the underside of the drivers dash? That's one of the "default" positions for them to make access easier.

If you're off to the boot sale eaerly tomorrow you'd best hit the hay - as had i! Got some bits to be done on Project Galactic Dawn tomorrow! ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

Up early this morning to reconfigure the seats into minibus format ? 

Set off with 11.9 km per litre consumption, air con full on auto both at front and in passenger area too, very hot and sunny and  a few people confined together get very hot !!!

Travelled in comfort to booty and then on to a shopping mall for lunch and nosy around... all country roads stuff, villages etc this morning with a couple of busy town centres about 50 miles in all.

The fuel figures showed 9.6, 9.7,9.8 up and down and settled at 9.6 on arrival home....27mpg equivalent, cant argue with that! 

Amazingly economical, comfortable, plenty quick when need be, hopefully reliable and with the thumbs up from the passengers what more can you say?

Why didn't Honda bring them over here ???

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes, Dave, obd port under leftside of steering wheel... haven't plugged into it yet!!

And, !!!!!

It does run on the three pot option without any issue !!! Anything from 25mph upwards !!!

I guess there must be a point at which it stops switching caused either from high load ( weight , hill, wind? ) or speed which translates as load too probably........just haven't reached it under normal driving conditions.   

Wonder how much bhp is generated under 3 pot condition? If it was half , which I doubt, then that makes it 125bhp to push two tons around...

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Or maybe just too much Insight? ;)  :D?

Honda I presume ! ?  and certainly not one of the prettiest Honda designs.

Talking of which the new Insight looks loads better than its predecessor , Honda looking saloon now, but would you buy one?

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Talking of which the new Insight looks loads better than its predecessor , Honda looking saloon now, but would you buy one?

Hmmm, probably not. I'm yet to be convinced by electric cars of any description, whether they are hybrids or not. ?

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

Just catching up on the forum.....lovely purchase mate!!!! 

Cheers, just love it ! and now have TWO V6 3 litre jobbies in the drive !! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and three V8 and ,,, and,,, and,,, crikey have to sell another one really....

• Haha 1

• Moderators

With the masters help, ( Stu Obeone) A translated copy of the owners manula for 2007 has magically appeared ?

The translation does leave MUCH to be desired but some interesting stuff in 500 plus pages !!!

0-20 oil IS recommended for "fuel efficiency" with regards to the country operating temperature though... but 5-30, 10-30 and 10-40 oil with a minimum 505 rating with no mention of semi/full/or mineral type.  Think SM mentioned too..........

• Like 2

• Moderators

Not much done today, too hot but managed the fourth ps reservoir empty and refill, still dark fluid but not black anymore which is good news and steering feels much better and more positive now .

• Like 2