Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion , it's BLUE, V6 & 3 litre !!!

PTR200S

• Moderators
On 5/19/2018 at 10:04 PM, hughezee said:

Just noticed the VCM on the engine cover, nice once Pete,  Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) is Honda's term for its variable displacement technology, which saves fuel by using the i-VTEC system to disable one bank of cylinders during specific driving conditions — for example, highway driving. The 2008-12 Accords took this a step further, allowing the engine to go from 6 cylinders, down to 4, and further down to 3 as the computer sees fit.

Just been reading up on this VCM tech and also came across a number of people, mostly in the states, venting fury on Honda for this tech and destroyed engines.

Apparently a class action took place against Honda in 2012 ish re wrecked engines , 3.5 versions i believe, with this tech installed.  Honda used the 6/3 in early engines then went to 6/4/3 cylinder action on 3.5. versions..

This resulted in misfires eventually, usually number 3 cylinder and replacement of piston rings and various other bits too including the rear hydraulic engine mounts.

Now, the complete VCM tech is being trashed online but to make it worse Honda have gone back to 6/3 versions so compounding the conclusion the 6//4/3 version was pants.

As usual though this system gets flamed across the board now by keyboard warriors even one claiming that having to replace engine mounts after 220,000 miles was not on !!!!!. The other prevalent claim is against fuel economy with most saying there is no differnce when using this tech as opposed to not, there is a growing trend to disable the system and someone has started selling a cheap fix for this.

The other point were that people are complaining of rough running in the eco mode and the switching results in jerks of the engine resulting in engine mount failure.

The engines affected seem to be made in Honda Georgia plant in the US.,..

I have got to say my bus is smooth, there is no discernible point as it switches over although maybe the engine changes to a slightly gruffer note. There is a difference in the instant fuel readout of consumption and i don't think the Japanese would have put up with a problem like this for long !!

• Confused 1

• Moderators

Hmmm, very interesting Pete!

The way i see it, to stop three cylinders firing and using fuel, there are three things that can be removed to cause that - compression, injection and ignition. Any one of those three will stop the cylinders firing but obviously with different long-term effects.

To minimise long term effects, at least two of those need to be removed to stop the cylinders firing, i would suggest compression and injection which would potentially leave the spark plug running and sparking into an uncompressed mixture of air and errr........... air.

I don't know how the spark plug would react long term to this or the coil pack, however i would suggest that the way the system is set up, it also switches the spark off on the non-running cylinders.

Assuming that to be the case, i.e. that all three of compression, injection and ignition are removed from the cylinders to make them non-firing, that would tend to point at the engine itself and/or another problem.

Given the apparent attitude to maintenance, the first question is has the oil been changed as frequently as it should be and if so, did the oil meet the required specification?

Second question is fuel quality - if there are contaminants in the fuel, it's possible the injections aren't closing properly. That would mean that when the cylinder isn't meant to be firing, fuel could still be leaking out. This could potentially cause fuel wash in the bores and increased fuel consumption offsetting the savings from running on only 3 pots.

There are probably a whole host of other factors that impact on the situation, unless the engine problems can be directly attributed to the VCM system malfunctioning it could be a combination of plugs, oil, coil packs, injectors, fuel, general lack of maintenance and ignoring the blatantly obvious such as the engine management light coming on to indicate duff Lambda sensors for example.

It's sad that these class action law suits have been brought, unlike when it was found that DW-1 was responsible for damaging older transmissions that needed the (discontinued) Z-1 i don't think this is such a black & white situation, i think there could be a lof of ID-10t User Errors contributing, especially with the apparent attitude towards maintenance.

Even if i'm wrong on that last part, if the garages that the cars have been put into for servicing are of the variety that carry out "paper servicing" or have used the wrong oil then that would be as bad, if not worse than simple neglect.

Hopefully the majority cause is lack of or incorrect maintenance and/or ignoring warning lights and you'll have no need to worry. ;):D

• Like 2

• Administrators

I have heard similar stories about the equivalent German versions of VCM and it seems there's a common expectancy from having a car with this tech is look after it, like Dave says its very likely down to poor maintenance cheap fuel and oils owners or garages have used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I agree chaps, maintenance must play a part , particularly oil changes as the vtec system is used to keep the valves open, and, as you say Dave i expect both ignition and fuelling to be prevented. 

I do wonder about the high mileage complainants and if that maintenance schedule had been followed.

As normal the most publication of info is about the failures but these are a minority within the numbers of engines sold, as usual with this type of complaint no one seems to publish the good things. 

I get well pi$$#d off with this situation as the minority are always the reported versions.

Mind you , as a country the UK is always allowing the minority to call the shots too so no difference there ? 

• Like 2

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

As normal the most publication of info is about the failures but these are a minority within the numbers of engines sold, as usual with this type of complaint no one seems to publish the good things. 

I get well pi$$#d off with this situation as the minority are always the reported versions.

Well that's the thing Pete - nobody reports the engines that are working fine because in a nutshell, there's nothing to report. It's all behaving as expected, doing what it was designed to do so it doesn't break the norm.

Things only get reported when they break the norm.

Take Rovers ill-fated "K" Series engine aka "Kettle" Series. When it was first launched and a plethora of head gasket failures occurred, they were reported.

Soon it became known these engines had a fragile cooling system and head gasket and reports diminished to almost none. However, the rate of failure hadn't declined but what did happen is the engines that did survive the first 60k miles became different from the norm so were reported. :o

It also turns things on their head for your engine. While reports of problems because of the VCM continue, you know it's still not the norm. That means there are countless engines out there that are doing what is intended so while the old adage of "no news is good news" can still apply, the occasional report of a problem/failure is in fact good news as it means it is still not the norm.

Rather than worry about your engine, if it's doing what it's meant to (as it appears to be) i'd take those reports as positive reinforcement that you have a good engine and if it ever doesn't do what it should, then look into the causes and effects of what's happening and deal with it from there. With proper maintenance though, there is no reason to believe your engine will suffer a demise like those other engines have. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Today was clean the exhaust tips, Solvol autosol of course, Dave !!

Turns out they are stainless under the poop, plus the boxes seem to be rust free as well, galv maybe but certainly nothing like the rot box silencers we encounter here ?

Struggling with a pocket in the front dash, coin tray really.  It has one of those coiled springs with two ears on, can I get it to sit in properly , ? can I f ?? messed about with it for nearly an hour ,,,,arggggghhhhh.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

coiled springs with two ears on

Zebedee DID get his way with Minnie Mouse then! :lol:

26 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

clean the exhaust tips, Solvol autosol of course,

Got to be done Pete! Sounds like you may have a complete stainless system, galv is unusual because the zinc can give off strange fumes when it gets hot but some manufacturers do make it. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Zebedee DID get his way with Minnie Mouse then! :lol:

Got to be done Pete! Sounds like you may have a complete stainless system, galv is unusual because the zinc can give off strange fumes when it gets hot but some manufacturers do make it. ;):D

Yep could be stainless, can't see it properly as its a very low truck ? need to get it up on the ramps next week so will investigate it properly

• Like 2

• Moderators

Today was another packed to the rafters endeavour into Liverpool for a wedding celebration.

A very hot 26C today, no rain yet again and  with eight hot bodies and gear packed into the Elysion the dual control , front and rear auto cooling system was engaged plus  with the Liverpool stop start traffic for a huge part of the journey meant the average fuel consumption today increased.... 24mpg compared with around 27.5 ish on a normal half load operation.

On the way back in the half dark the auto lights engaged and lit the cabin area with a blue hue... each seat behind the driver has individual ac flow vent x2, a courtesy light (now led) plus a blue tinged led illuminating that area.  To beat that each pocket area on the lower half of the doors has a small " puddle " light, in blue pointing into the pocket !!? and the aft area of the last row of seats also has pocket and "puddle" lights in the same way !! 

The lower half of the dash in the central area below the control panel also has one !!?

I keep finding all these little gems and thinking why didn't this come to the UK?

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Looks like the low-frequency antenna located on the rear sliding door...

hmmm, , so maybe a proximity sensor for the touch handle ?

The locking / security system is a key card so when you approach the car and touch the handle it unlocks the central locking ?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Anyone know if Honda had restriction on the use of cruise control over a certain speed?

Elly runs cruise no problem and decided to stretch her tyres a bit so took it to around 80, dropped cruise on and it accepted the command but then dropped speed to an indicated 68mph, around 100kph once speedo error factored in...

• Confused 1

• Moderators

Does it have a speed limiter as well as cruise Pete? I'm wondering if the default limit is 110kmh (68mph) and unless you either switch the limiter off or alter it to something higher, once you put it into cruise it will auto-default to that setting.

Just a wild guess of course! ;):D