Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Legend or Rover 800 Today

hughezee

• Moderators

Not done directly but finally sourced a new radiator and have ordered it. It's a manual one so have also ordered an external ATF cooler. Got to collect the rad from Cambridge when i get the phone call that it's in, ATF cooler should be delivered.

Happy days at last! ;):D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Whoops! Should have done this a couple of weeks back - radiator and external ATF cooler fitted, tested and happy! :D:D:D

Then yesterday i fitted a new pair of wiper blades.

IMG_20180704_153711773.jpg

They're those "aero Flat Blade" things seeing as i couldn't find a normal 20" wiper blade at a sensible price any more! :o

They came with a total of 10 adaptors each, the one i needed already fitted. Unlike a lot of aftermarket "upgrades", the adaptors thankfully aren't as "big and clunky" as a lot of them.

IMG_20180704_153907807.jpg

IMG_20180704_154044561.jpg

Old and new on the drivers side showing the clip detail that is a "belt'n'braces" lock to prevent the hook falling off the clip that has already latched.

Old and new on the passenger side - the old blades have definitely had it! :o

IMG_20180704_154333387.jpg

In other news, i've been reconditioning a pair of boot lamps - more of this in my Galactic Dawn thread but a taster pair of pics :

IMG_20180703_115110441.jpg

IMG_20180705_010028428.jpg

First pic is as they were but stripped down, second is the finished items after refurb! ;):D

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Founding Member

Well, Leonard is running like my Omega, next thing to do before we experience “the worst winter in decades” is a coolant change at Honda HQ.  Lennie’s been all over the West Midlands today....over to Walsall, then over to Aston, then over to Sutton Coldfield.  As always, he’s a pleasure to drive. Makes a change too turning the heating up after the recent heat wave.  

As well as the coolant, the next thing I need to do is get some rubber winter mats and remove the shag pile mats. Ooo errr Dave.  Any recommendations for quality rubber mats chaps, looked in Halfrauds and they’re not the best quality, prefer fitted ones too.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Think you'll struggle with bespoke rubber mats unless you try Honda Geoff. I expect they're out there somewhere, i know one of the options/accessories on my Volvo when it was new was "Snow trays" - basically a mat shaped tray with raised sections so your feet could drain the snow and slush off into the mats (trays) and it sounds like that's what you're after.

Halfrauds will be as much use as a chocolate teapot for anything that truly fits for the simple reason they are trying to be all things to all people. ;):D

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators

Thanks for that Stu - i'm guessing Honda used their own ALB instead of the Bosch ABS like we got on the Rover then? It had sort of crossed my mind it might be for priming the anti-lock brakes and providing a tank for the "return to tank" part of the process, the Bosch system uses the modulator body for that. Swings and roundabouts, no real advantage to either system i wouldn't have thought.

• Like 1

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

i'm guessing Honda used their own ALB instead of the Bosch ABS like we got on the Rover then?

Yeah think I would prefer the Rover Bosch system TBH, closer to more modern pumps which are easier to fix IMO, the honda ALB units are very complicated things and found on various Honda models up until 1998 ish

• Like 2

• Moderators

I have the early and later versions of the Bosch ABS, early on the Volvo, the -2E later version on the Sterling. That has built-in self-diagnosis unlike the original Bosch ABD on the Volvo which isn't so sophisticated.

Maybe there should be more emphasis on cadence braking during learning to drive............... :P

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

A little TLC on the MK1 legend, some fresh fluids although not without some protesting, couldn't get out 🤪 the interior handle decided to stick, so will need to strip it down and investigate and the oil pressure light is flashing... 😞

20200409-131434.jpg20200409-131502.jpg20200409-154226.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, hughezee said:

couldn't get out 🤪 the interior handle decided to stick,

Interior handle stuck as in not moving or stuck as in it wouldn't release the latch Stu?

Chances are the problem is in fact the exterior handle and lack of use. If the exterior handle doesn't completely return to the "idle" position (i.e. flat/flush as it should be) then it interlocks the interior handle, rendering the interior release handle inoperative.

Mine trapped a green-eyed blonde in the front passenger seat by doing this just before Xmas................. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

If the exterior handle doesn't completely return to the "idle" position (i.e. flat/flush as it should be) then it interlocks the interior handle, rendering the interior release handle inoperative.

The interior handle seems to stick out more than it should but won't go back, so won't force it will investigate properly, thanks Dave 👍

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

I promised some pretty picture yesterday so here they are! I'll explain as i go through the pics, you'll get the ideas! :P

IMG-20200407-104819625.jpg

Two-port USB supply, 12V in, 2 x USB 5V out at 2.1A and 1.1A or something close to it. Needed to power the dashcam/reversing camera and maybe my phone too - more of that in a bit!

IMG-20200407-105949670.jpg

One rear-view dashcam that doubles as a reversing camera. Also needs hardwiring.

Annoyingly, two of the LEDs on the Climate Pack had failed so i had to renew those as well.

IMG-20200408-153539817.jpg

IMG-20200408-155523970.jpg

That's better - i can now see if it's officially freezing or just feels like it! :P

Many moons ago, i made a USB charger socket that fitted in a switch blank in the bank of switches to the right of the instrument cluster. Some time back, it stopped working :(

IMG-20200408-162004313.jpg

'tis cos 'tis broke! Will be using the second output from the USB supply instead! Another switch blank was drilled for the aftermarket alarm LED - somewhere i have the proper Rover blank with the built in LED clip etc but for now, drilled this one to accept the LED clip :

IMG-20200408-180902981.jpg

Back onto the dashcam, you can see the short USB lead from the mirror/dashcam and the end of the USB extension cable installed for the hardwiring.

IMG-20200408-181408117.jpg

You can also see the pyramid which houses the IR receiver for the OE alarm, the idea was to tuck the cables from the mirror under the edge of it. Turns out, it was designed as a tight fit against the headlining so had to cut slots for the two cables (power and rear cam) :

IMG-20200409-154545615.jpg

IMG-20200408-183242934.jpg

IMG-20200409-173440046.jpg

Once cut, those slots cleared the cables nicely so the pyramid could fit how it's meant to and the leads would tuck under the edge, as shown above.

IMG-20200409-173554652.jpg

Quick check it's working by plugging the USB power lead into a cig lighter adaptor. You can see the black car behind me and the front lawn in front.

Now for something completely different!

IMG-20200409-173853782.jpg

Hands free microphone for the radio. That's right, i said handsfree microphone for the radio! :blink:🤪

I renewed the radio some time back to one that had built in BlueTooth, mainly because the OE system was finally beginning to give up the ghost after 26 years. The upside is i can now load music on my phone and play it like a huge CD library, use the sat-nag while listening to music and even take calls hands-free and they all play over the cars speakers with a soft-fade between each one. Because the radio has built-in BT, it came with a handsfee mic - be rude to not use it! :P

IMG-20200409-175508499.jpg

Fitted in place and A-pillar trim refitted.

IMG-20200409-180834842.jpg

USB supply hidden and stuck to the inside end of the dashboard - still got some neatening up of the various wires here, there and wherever and to renew the LED in the cig lighter, connect the handsfree mic to the radio and a few other bits including aiming the rear camera slightly better and linking it to the reverse lights (it auto-switches to rear cam and puts guide lines on the screen) and final boxing up but near enough there now. ;):D

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Thanks Stu - once i've done it i'm going to change the front fogs as well, using a new pair of ramps to lift the front to make life easier.

I'll do a tool review on them as well.

Hydraulic ramps? 

I have been using a set for a while now, wouldn't be without them !!!! 

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, hughezee said:

Excellent work there Dave, doubt many of us will have any DIY jobs left after this awful mess is over, more time to spend enjoying our machines when we get through this I suppose.🥴

If you need jobs ,Stu, I have a few for you !

The more jobs I complete and tick off the list the more that appear on it !!!!

• Haha 1