What Have You Done To Your Legend or Rover 800 Today

hughezee

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
9 hours ago, hughezee said:

Excellent work there Dave, doubt many of us will have any DIY jobs left after this awful mess is over, more time to spend enjoying our machines when we get through this I suppose.🥴

Yes, excellent stuff, lots going on in your car, Dave, this week... everything will be sorted soon......then you can get back on the Volvo.... Stu and I want to see what's in your dent !!!

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Bit more basic than that' i'm afraid Pete but useful nonetheless. ;):D

Maybe a combined review on different ramps, for members , perhaps...???

Get Stu to get his cutters out !!!!! He is always there , waving them about !!!!

Maybe even these Rover bits and our comments out of this legend thread are on the block !!just can't be too careful when Stu waves his " skissorrs." .!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Maybe even these Rover bits and our comments out of this legend thread are on the block

As Dave pointed out the 827 is a Legend in disguise very few differences and without Rover, the Legend wouldn't exist, so 827 content stays in the Legend bit 😋

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hughezee said:

without Rover, the Legend wouldn't exist, 😋

Hmmm, without Honda the Rover wouldn't exist too , I guess..!!!!!!

...I know they shared the floorpan and obviously the V6 engine and gearboxes which were Honda own development but the external panels and interior were each companys own design...

So did they share the same suspension, hubs, axles , brakes etc ???

Must admit don't know a great deal about them, Rover,  although I nearly bought a Sterling a lot of years ago !!

• Like 3

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

the external panels and interior were each companys own design...

To a point, yes. The Mk1 800 was much closer to the KA1-4 Legends in panel design than the Mk2 800 and later Legends. Steering rack (on the 827 at least), front and rear suspension, hubs etc all pretty much the same but Honda used a different design for the front upper wishbone pivot bushes to what Rover did. Rover over-complicated it, had it made by Metalastik (who went bust mid 90s and Rover bought purely for the upper wishbone bearings) but many parts are identical.

Some switchgear is the same, some is cosmetically altered, Honda used their own ALB instead of the Bosch ABS 2 (and later 2-E) system favoured by Rover, Honda insisted on front wishbone suspension whereas Rover favoured the McPherson strut (and would have been better on this type of car IMHO) but the cost of retooling the floorpan/chassis was too much for the benefits afforded by McPhersons - lots of little differences.

However, to all intents and purposes, except those differences i've listed and a few others, they are the same car. A bit like the later 600 and Accord (5th gen) models, Rover versions used different front wings/nosecone/headlights and some slightly different rear end treatment, aside from that they were badge engineered version of the same car, except obviously for the 620Ti (Rover T-series turbo, 197bhp) and 620SD (Rover L-Series diesel aka the diesel version of the "O" series that is in simple terms, an 8v T-series or a reinforced, OHC B-series :o:P) and we all know the Honda Ballade Mk1/Triumph Acclaim, Ballade Mk2/Rover 213, Civic/Concerto = 216/416 stories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Meanwhile back on Planet Zog and us mere mortals, i thought it was about time to change these cheap, China-bay frog lights for some better Ring Microline jobbies, copies of an early 80s Bosch Front fog light.

IMG-20200410-171947610-HDR.jpg

Yes, that halo lights up blue on them as well! :P

Finally got the old ones out :

IMG-20200410-180010326.jpg

IMG-20200410-182621067-HDR.jpg

New ones in and tested! Just need to trim the OE surrounds a little to allow them to slip over the body of the lights and fit them. ;):D

You've probably all noticed some bright and shiny looking plast ramps in the pics above - check out my review of them :

• Like 4

• The title was changed to What Have You Done To Your Legend or Rover 800 Today
  • 1 month later...
  • Founding Member

Another pleasurable few hours were spent earlier at Planet Honda.  I’ve not seen since Stu since Mid March When I had my air con regassed and it was nice to see him and catch up.  Lennie Legend was overjoyed too as his oil and ATF was overdue due to lockdown etc:

DA0-C10-B1-9-F36-4431-BA0-D-0-EF6-B8-D74

Whenever I pop to Stu’s it’s either lashing down, sub zero or blowing a gale, today was 25 degrees and glorious.

Richard popped by too (see above) in his lovely Honda Acclaim Avon and must have wondered why I was standing in the shade of the house all the time.  Ouch...that’s going to smart in the morning:

E99-F2959-E084-424-C-A9-E6-B14-D607-A35-

Needless to say, Lennie is smoother than ever now (he had an engine flush too) and the gear change is sublime too.

i have a slight clicking noise from the rear and Stu diagnosed a bit of a lip on the disc and the sliders on the caliper need rejuvenating, so another trip to Stu’s will be coming up imminently.  

Happy Days.  😎

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Well managed to get the oil pressure warning light off the other day, checked connections all okay. So as per Daves tip added a little more ATF in the oil and a few cranks with the coil removed and then ran up to temperature and she's purring away and repeated today, running even better. 👍

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 2

• Moderators

Just for information Stu, the Acclaim/Ballade uses the same oil pressure switch (unless your Legend has an oil pressure gauge) so replacing the switch if you're in any doubt won't break the bank.

Glad to hear the ATF worked - it's amazing how quickly it does its stuff and you might also find compression is improved too as it helps free up piston rings and keep them free. ;):D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Just for information Stu, the Acclaim/Ballade uses the same oil pressure switch (unless your Legend has an oil pressure gauge)

No gauge just a warning light, thanks for the tip on compatibility 👍

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1