Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Legend or Rover 800 Today

hughezee

• Administrators

Following on from the popular "What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today" thread, we invite you too What Have You Done To Your Legend Today.  

I have been doing an assessment of a Luscious Legend today and in fact, Geoff’s KB1 and the latest addition to his Honda fleet, more updates to follow on this soon.:rolleyes:

• Like 3

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently had new upper suspension arms on my eucalyptus green KA9 Legend. I had rear discs and pads, an oil change, gearbox oil change and I had the front discs and pads replaced under warranty. I have done nearly 17,000 miles in the old girl during the last 11 months so I need to keep her running well.

I have just bought a used starter motor for my purple Legend from ebay. I have an intermittent fault with the starter, sometimes it turns over, other times it doesn't. Starter motors don't seem to be available new so I've had to go for a used part.

And now for the exciting news - did anyone see the black 2000W reg Legend for sale on ebay over the last two days? owned by an old boy in Stockport, selling because he and his wife have arthritis, 93k with lots of SH. Perfect rear arches as far as I can see. I couldn't resist it. I need a bigger driveway.

• Like 2

• Administrators

That's an impressive list of works and recent purchases although I could have sourced remanufactured units £90-150 with the planetary gear reduction, which is why these units fail prematurely or get stuck, especially with the amount of work involved to replace them.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Well, I discovered yesterday (as it rained all day) that water is getting in on the A pillar.  It wasn’t gushing in but collecting and the pooling causing a drip occasionally.  Upon stressing and driving to Stu’s yesterday for an expert diagnosis....AH HA.....more to follow as I will posting a new thread imminently.  ;)

As members know, especially when you have a new car, you have the urge to wash and wax it.  Unfortunately, despite it being sunny and dry (but cold) I was in the wife’s shop all day.  :huh:  Crying.  I did pop and see Lennie a few times though.  ^_^

• Haha 2

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, The_Legend_Geoff said:

Well, I discovered yesterday (as it rained all day) that water is getting in on the A pillar.  It wasn’t gushing in but collecting and the pooling causing a drip occasionally.  Upon stressing and driving to Stu’s yesterday for an expert diagnosis....AH HA.....more to follow as I will posting a new thread imminently.  ;)

As members know, especially when you have a new car, you have the urge to wash and wax it.  Unfortunately, despite it being sunny and dry (but cold) I was in the wife’s shop all day.  :huh:  Crying.  I did pop and see Lennie a few times though.  ^_^

Don't worry Geoff just got find my bathroom sealant first and don't use any binding brake lube on it :lol: but seriously will get Lennie sorted tomorrow mate. ;)

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Ah ha.  I did clean that bit after I took the pics.  Honest.  I’m going to redo them again at the weekend when I have a bit more time.  Next jobs on my list are;

Proper wash and wax.  I had a Demon Shine kit for Christmas so the wheels etc will be done.

Polish my tips.  Ooo err Dave.

Get the leather cleaner out.

Clean glass inside.

Vacuum some small bits on the rear shelf.

Then go for a drive, although not fast until Lennie’s fluids are changed at Honda HQ. 

B)

• Like 3

• Founding Member

More gadgets than the Space Shuttle!  Check out the complete spec I posted earlier....my god, pyrotechnic hood, aluminium bonnet, front wings and boot, the technology is endless.  So glad I didn’t go for the Lexus GS420 and hung on in for the right car to come along.  I’m aching to get my sponge out! 

• Haha 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, hughezee said:

Just FYI, Geoff, I will need the Legend for at least a couple of weeks after sorting all the niggles, needs testing properly I'm sure you understand...   

Just in case !!:lol:         ( going on your hols , Stu? )

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I took my black W plate Legend to RV Jones last week. Full service and MOT. I sourced the correct Nippon Denso spark plugs referred to in the owner's manual. The NGKs that came out were very clean so I've kept them possibly for use in one of my other cars. The old girl needed new drop links on the rear. The battery was also starting to sound a little laboured so I've put a new 069 battery on which has greatly improved starting efficiency. Ron commented that when he took the car for MOT it reminded him of just how great Legends are. I've been running all my cars on Tesco Momentum 99 RON fuel, it seems to make a real difference in respect of performance.

My purple 1998 Legend is presenting me with a few headaches. I recently had some work done on my lady's Fiesta by a very good mobile mechanic. His prices were fair, he clearly marked up the coil springs which he supplied but I believe that that's standard industry practice. I asked him whether he would fit the replacement starter motor to my Legend. "Yes I'm sure I can." he replied. He then advised me that I should get the s/h starter reconditioned which I agreed to. He then spent two hours scratching his head under my car before declaring that he couldn't do it "on his back" and it would have to go into a workshop. This was what I had been told but in fairness he had told me how innovative he could be and how he would adapt and improvise. Not with Legend starter motors he can't. He then tried to charge two hours labour for failing. I explained that he had said that he could do it, that was the basis of our agreement and that if he couldn't then I wasn't prepared to pay. I'm sure he made a few quid on the starter motor recon anyway, I paid through the nose for it. So it's back to my original plan, I know a man who can. I know that the work required on this old girl will outweigh its value however I cannot scrap it. I need to sort out the starter, ABS pump light on, intermittent cutting out, but I'll do it. My logic is that the black one that cost me £1400 is like driving round in a £30k car. If the purple one costs me £2k to get sorted then so be it. The rear arches are also lightly corroded, need to formulate a cunning plan for those. Watch this space.

The green one is still my daily driver, I put 18,000 miles on the old girl last year. She continues to provide sterling service. She'll need an oil and filter change soon but is running faultlessly.

• Like 2