Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe Leaky Boot?

AhsyV6

• Founding Member

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to know if anyone experiences the above after washing their car. I have a feeling this only occurs on bootlids with spoilers attached. This also happened on my previous CG2 which also had a spoiler. If anyone has had this issue and have resolved it then please do share your solution.

Thank you.

• Like 1

• Administrators

No leaks on mine yet buddy, but one thing to do if your confident enough is remove the spoiler and check an clean the area where it sits on the boot lid or replace the foam seal if necessary as this can shrink and let water through the cable hole for the brake light which is located on the passenger side of the spoiler mounting.

Reminds me I need remove mine to check mine for any corrosion  :unsure:  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

Just a follow up after finding water in the boot on another coupe and as illustrated below you can see the body seam sealant has shrunk with age :huh:

DSC03517.jpg

Somebody attempted to repair it before and tried sealing from the inside out, in my opinion, it would be easier to stop the water getting in from the outside instead of trapping water between outer body seams :rolleyes:

DSC03496.jpg

Quick shot of mine, no leaks at present it's on my to do list before it does...

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Accord Coupe Water Leak Inside of Boot Lid "WATER IN BOOT"
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm still getting water leaking into the boot, whether I park facing uphill or downhill.  Stu thought the seal might be perished but it looks okay to me (see photos - the green towel is for soaking it up).  It's on the left hand side of the boot, where the CD changer is and next to the wheel arch.  I'm wondering whether the water's getting in through the rear window rubber and then through the parcel shelf.  Anyone else had this problem?

IMGP1248.JPG

IMGP1249.JPG

• Like 2

• Administrators

Sorry to hear you've sprung a leak Andrew :huh: it is a reasonably common occurrence and it's usually due to the seam sealant shrinkage (top left of the boot gutter) and I would recommend you clean the area thoroughly, preferably with an evaporating solvent.  Then reseal around the existing seal and paint over the top if you wish, this has 99% success rate in my experience see link below for the sealant I would recommend and hope that helps mate. ;)

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/head-gasket-exhaust-repairs/loctite-5699-premium-silicone-grey-gasket-maker-sealant

• Like 3

Presumably I just clean the gutter thoroughly, then seal the join between it and the rubber gasket thingy?  Should I do all the way round, while I'm at it?

Just thought I had another problem: strong smell of petrol, increasing with speed, after putting some Shell Nitro-V in.  Stopped to check that the cap was on properly (it was) and to sniff through the front grille (no smell of petrol).  Eventually realised it was coming from my right shoe - I must have been standing in a puddle of fuel at the garage.  Duh...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't usually like Halfords but went yesterday to get the grey sealant, which now seems to be called 5600, not 5699 (same price).  I was helped by a very pleasant employee who loves old Japanese cars and is on his second MX-5.  I was in my Lexus so he admired that, but I'm sure he would have appreciated the Honda.

The sealant is a bu**er to apply and I'm sure Honda HQ would do a neater job, but at least it's on now.  We'll see what happens after the rain that's forecast today.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BN Coupe said:

I don't usually like Halfords but went yesterday to get the grey sealant, which now seems to be called 5600, not 5699 (same price).  I was helped by a very pleasant employee who loves old Japanese cars and is on his second MX-5.  I was in my Lexus so he admired that, but I'm sure he would have appreciated the Honda.

The sealant is a bu**er to apply and I'm sure Honda HQ would do a neater job, but at least it's on now.  We'll see what happens after the rain that's forecast today.

Have you managed to apply it on the seal?  to "bulk" it up? Or to the boot flange to seal it?

• Like 2

I'm hoping I did the right thing...

In the top left and right hand corners of the boot opening, up against the bottom corners of the rear screen, there's a strip of old, discoloured sealant.  I don't know if it was factory fitted or whether it's been applied since.  From what Stu said, I gather the left-hand one is leaking.  So I plastered the area with the grey sealant, which wasn't easy because (a) it's thick and tacky and (b) there's no space to spread it neatly.

Is this what you meant, Stu?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BN Coupe said:

In the top left and right hand corners of the boot opening, up against the bottom corners of the rear screen, there's a strip of old, discoloured sealant.  I don't know if it was factory fitted or whether it's been applied since.  From what Stu said, I gather the left-hand one is leaking.  So I plastered the area with the grey sealant, which wasn't easy because (a) it's thick and tacky and (b) there's no space to spread it neatly.

I have the same Sealant on mine, so it must be a Factory Application. Although seems like an afterthought... :(

I have a similar leak on the right side at the most rear end of that strip of Sealant, but luckily it drips into the Plastic Tray. :) 

I've ordered some Clear 151 Sealant for 99p (incl del) off Ebay. 

I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

• Administrators
3 hours ago, BN Coupe said:

Hope this helps Andrew ;)

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 98-02 Accord Coupe Leaky Boot?
  • Administrators
6 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Thanks Stu.

Mine is leaking exactly where you pointed your finger on the opposite side though. Although I will do both sides while I'm at it. :)

No worries m8y, it's something I need to do on mine before it starts to leak and I have my gold paint on standby :ph34r:

• Like 3

We've had only a few spots of rain recently but some very damp, condensation-y mornings.  And so far, so good - all dry in the boot department.  When you open the boot, moisture runs off onto the sealant and seems to just stay there.

Cheers Stu!

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Update: I've just done the other side - as a precaution, not because it leaks.  And this time it was a five-minute job instead of half an hour.  Tip: instead of spreading the sealant as you go, and getting it everywhere (including yourself), simply squirt two or three lengths of it over the old seal and then spread gently with a butter knife.  Better coverage, less mess, more time do other jobs.

PS The other side hasn't leaked at all since I re-sealed it.

Happy Easter all.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Something i've found on mine is the lips where the seal sits can corrode. Wwater can then get through the corrosion. I've done a temporary job of sealing it with new boot seals as well and so far so good.

When i get more time i'll wire bush the area, apply rust killer and reseal it all a bit more neatly. Ideally i'd like to get a new piece of metal welded in but it's too close to the rear screen to try that trick! :o;):D

• Administrators

Coupeman AKA Rob popped over again today, this time for the rear brakes and I noticed his driver's side seal had lifted a little so the water was getting between the sealant and the primer eeek, thankfully no rust. Although he wasn't convinced of my concern until he discovered water on that side of the boot and will be sorting his out very soon...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

when these seams leak around the hinge area of the boot, does anybody actually see water dripping into the boot?  My leak seems to allow water to come behind the side trim, so the water is actually invisible.  Thinking of removing the boot trim and then pouring clean water around the boot gutter to see if i can spot where it's coming in.  

• Moderators
8 hours ago, welland99 said:

when these seams leak around the hinge area of the boot, does anybody actually see water dripping into the boot?

Only if you have your latest kidnap victim locked in the boot and you've been considerate enough to leave a light for them. ;)

That might sound a bit facetious but it is in fact serious. To actually see where it's coming in, your best bet is to get a willing victim in the boot with a torch and use the hose or pressure washer, start at the bottom of the car and work your way up until they spot the water ingress and shout.

It might still be tricky to work out where it's getting in as it may run by capilliary action between two panels until it finally emerges.

Good luck with finding it! ;):D

• Like 2