Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Today is MoT check day, due on the 5th at 7.30am, so first off, a good wash !!.......grrr, more paint chips appeared.

Managed to get in all the nooks and crannies round the doors, boot and then the bonnet....eh up, it wont hold up on its struts ...

It was alright last friday on a fluid check but this morning it's not having any of it.

Worse still, the nearside sidelight is out.....again it was lit last friday, actually did check !! 

....what is it with these cars when you mention MoT time ! 🤪

Just got to prop bonnet open now and try and get that blasted sidelight unit out, you know the one, covered in grease and stuff and the need to do a "left turn, Clyde " on it !!!

Left front wheel off too as it seems to be pulling, very slightly, into the kerb, didn't find anything though, pulled caliper off, sliders free, pads nearly new, disks perfect.... maybe the steering arm is off from a pothole hit ...

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/2/2021 at 9:34 PM, hughezee said:

Replaced my bonnet struts today with some I had in my spares, 

Looks like I will need some too, just found these online...

any good, do you know?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223662886155?

EDIT. the above is the wrong version !! showing Saloon AND Coupe..which it is not, too long.!

These look right although the end number "A01" is different but I presume a later part than the A000.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124030681746?

Length seems correct.

• Like 1

• Founding Member
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Today is MoT check day, due on the 5th

Snap - just done the basics (lights, wipers, tyres etc) before the rain started.  My MOT place does not open as early as yours, but it will still do my Coupe on he 5th....   I would have adjusted my handbrake but not a job for the rain... and I have a bit of a steering shake to look at...

Luckily my bonnet struts are fine...

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Snap - just done the basics (lights, wipers, tyres etc) before the rain started.  My MOT place does not open as early as yours, but it will still do my Coupe on he 5th....   I would have adjusted my handbrake but not a job for the rain... and I have a bit of a steering shake to look at...

Luckily my bonnet struts are fine...

Yes, just been rained off too !! after a great couple of days and now its intermittently Midnight or Midday .

Luckily my handbrake is good, not sure about the bonnet struts though, possibly comes under an mot failure in the same way as being unable to open the door !! either way I better take the swmbo broom stick to the mot !!

Just managed to change the sidelight for another bulb, doesn't match colour wise but it will do for now... 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

New Osram sidelight bulbs arrived for the Coupe, snazzy blue glass but only 4k so white light , so got those changed over after a fight with the offside fitting......

Then an 04 plate Jazz turns up and offspring says, brake light out and number plate light out... so change those....  hmm, headlight out on Tourer and of course a reg plate light.......

Must be something to do with the weather !!

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Guess those are urgent - at least it has warmed up a bit for you - and dried up too....

I would much rather do bulbs than my inner steering rack joints.....  those will wait until teh temp is in teh teens....

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

Talking about bulbs, daughters nearside indicator bulb went on her 06 Civic so I told her to get one and I'd fit it., what a palaver! I followed a Youtube video, undo the clips on the wheelarch liner and pull it out of the way to access the back of the bulb. I did this and couldn't see the bulb, and coudn't work out why. I watched a couple more videos and they looked the same as the original. I was working in the dark so I just put it all back together again and left it for the weekend when I could do it in daylight. I jacked the car up this time and removed the wheel to give me more space, and this time I could see that there was some kind of plastic air duct across the back of the bulb. Once this was removed it looked just like in the videos and I quickly changed the bulb, then it was just a matter of refitting the duct and wheelarch liner and replacing the clips, some of which were broken of course so new ones had to fitted from my stock.

Not as much work as steering rack joints, but a lot more work than I was expecting!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, davebrads said:

Talking about bulbs, daughters nearside indicator bulb went on her 06 Civic so I told her to get one and I'd fit it., what a palaver! I followed a Youtube video, undo the clips on the wheelarch liner and pull it out of the way to access the back of the bulb. I did this and couldn't see the bulb, and coudn't work out why. I watched a couple more videos and they looked the same as the original. I was working in the dark so I just put it all back together again and left it for the weekend when I could do it in daylight. I jacked the car up this time and removed the wheel to give me more space, and this time I could see that there was some kind of plastic air duct across the back of the bulb. Once this was removed it looked just like in the videos and I quickly changed the bulb, then it was just a matter of refitting the duct and wheelarch liner and replacing the clips, some of which were broken of course so new ones had to fitted from my stock.

Not as much work as steering rack joints, but a lot more work than I was expecting!

😃😃😃

Had that when I was changing the headlight bulb in the Jazz,  went all through info on using wheel arch access only to discover the headlight unit had to come out and that requires the front bumper to be removed. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Just been under bonnet on a fluids check, lift struts struggling again....

Still, if weather is warm then they are OK but a cold snap means making sure I  have been out somewhere,  engine hot , struts OK 🙃🙃

Haven't taken them off yet but I suspect it will get just one causing the problem...been unsuccessful in finding a UK equivalent but there are several companies in the states....Best is about 35 quid the pair, shipped and taxes paid via "global rip-off " on ebay..

Anyone tracked any UK suppliers ????

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, PaulS said:

Do they have to be specifically Honda coupe or will similarly powerful struts from something like a Zafira tailgate work (even with a bit of feckling)?

Tried all the suppliers including the biggest, SGS in Derby, they all want the part number but when I give it to them they can't supply anything to match. SGS will valve one for me so I can adjust pressure down to suit. I have the length and the extended length so they could do that..haven't asked the price !!

There are loads in the states as you would expect and I guess at 35 ish quid shipped and taxed is probably the way to go.

I just wanted to buy "locally"  😔

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Yeah, checked them out, good price but still once shipping added , plus the unknown  "catch me tax" when it arrives, I am just wondering on using the global shipping version off eBay after all.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Just wondered if a hydraulics place might be able to help out - not specific car supplier. 

I use Able Hydraulics in Manchester for such stuff and have found them most helpful and obliging.  They were the guys who managed to supply new seals for 2 "obsolete" trolley jacks and my Omer hydraulic car lift when neither manufaccturer had stock and claiming they were obsolete parts.  And in each case the Able supplied seals were only a few pounds.  Still looking for a shaped seal for my old Karcher 510 pressure washer though....

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PaulS said:

Just wondered if a hydraulics place might be able to help out - not specific car supplier. 

I use Able Hydraulics in Manchester for such stuff and have found them most helpful and obliging.  They were the guys who managed to supply new seals for 2 "obsolete" trolley jacks and my Omer hydraulic car lift when neither manufaccturer had stock and claiming they were obsolete parts.  And in each case the Able supplied seals were only a few pounds.  Still looking for a shaped seal for my old Karcher 510 pressure washer though....

That's a great idea ! Not sure how they can get in the unit but got to ask !

I also have a hydraulic company nearby that I have used for trolley jack stuff.

They have even repaired obsolete stuff as yours has. 

I can feel a visit coming on, got to be worth a look !!! 

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Yeah, checked them out, good price but still once shipping added , plus the unknown  "catch me tax" when it arrives, I am just wondering on using the global shipping version off eBay after all.

It's possible to pay the "catch me tax" when ordering Pete and then they are delivered to your door because they're pre-cleared for customs. I think it's the DHL option on S&H but it shows up as customs fees paid.

That said, i haven't ordered from them since Brexit and our new customs laws so it may have changed.

What about these :

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Stabilus-Supports-Compatible-1998-2002/dp/B09MDHS6DR

Should be identical to STABILUS 4B7298SH which is the part number Rock quote.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PaulS said:

does say out of stock though

1 hour ago, PaulS said:

actually emporarily out of stock

We've already done that bit! :P

3 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Clocked those on amazon but out of stock at the moment,

2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Sorry, didn't spot the out of stock bit - perhaps worth an email to the seller asking when they'll have stock?

As you can see ^^^^^

Have to admit though, i wish they'd put the out of stock notice a bit bigger as i'm sure it wasn't there when i looked or maybe i just didn't see it. Perhaps someone else bought a pair (the last pair in stock?) while i was originally posting the link.

Whichever way you view it though, if they've had stock there's a good chance they will have more or could persuade their supplier to send them another pair if they're being withdrawn. After all, any supplier would rather sell what they have than have to restock it at a loss............ ;):D

• Moderators

Its actually Amazon . com selling these, they quote being able to "pre order" but its part of the Global supply stuff tax charges... from the advert against that link...probably the same ones on Ebay 😛

Temporarily out of stock.
We are working hard to be back in stock. Place your order and we’ll email you when we have an estimated delivery date.

Amazon Global Store

International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.

Manufacturer warranty will not apply. Please review Amazon’s return policy, which usually offers free returns within 30 days of receipt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Job on Coupe this morning was , bumper off, check out windscreen washer motor as it was not working. Headlights washer was OK and I have been using that for a few days to sort of help keep screen clean !!!

Apart from a couple of broken clips and a seized bolt it went without a hitch.

The connector to the motor had a load of crud on and once cleaned / contact cleaned too the motor ran perfectly at full power, better than it has been for quite a while. 

Paul was right when he said his had same problem......I have a spare Chinese copy motor in the spares now !!

• Like 1