Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

have some compatible new spark plugs here somewhere (need to also do the 620 and the Streetwise and have some lying around in a 'safe place' - I know not where).

Sounds like you need to do what i started today - sort the shed/garage out! I rationalised two big plastic lidded tubs into 1 and some rubbish, 3 more not so big into none, some rubbish and some tools (some of which went into the other bigger lidded plastic tub), 3 large cardboard boxes into a few spares conveniently stored in an old filing cabinet, some odds and ends into the main shed/workshop and more rubbish including the cardboard boxes!

Result? I can see about 2 sq ft of floor in the small storage shed. Doesn't sound much but that's a 100% improvement on what i started with.

58 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

see someone looking at the damage they caused

That sounds horribly deliberate to me!

• 4 weeks later...

Autoglass update on replacement window ? Still on back order, expected mid-August ? (but, it is mid-August ? Sorry, not in yet).

Pain in the proverbial as I can't really commute in the Coupe at present as where I work is in a rough part of town, and an already shattered window is just an open invitation.

Elsewhere, serviced front/rear brakes, now have set of four Honda wheels on, two with new tyres, and with shiny Type R red centre caps to offset the silver nicely. Pics soon.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Today, after a Classics meet, is the day to start addressing the scrapes on the Coupe...none of which are my doing 🤬 

The rear end bumps, that have occurred, bent in the rear number plate surround and a few flexed bits of the bumper have cracked the paint...managed to tease the surround out of the bumper using trim panel tools and then sanded it down.  Need to see what the plastic primer looks like before I decide whether to fill it out or not.

The front left bumper, likewise sanded down , a small bit on the right front and the rear nearside arch has had a scrape in the past...always bugged me but on with the fix now !

The rear spoiler transformation has stopped but I need to do that whilst the paint is out and about so added to the list....

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

New rear discs and pads and replacement of the brake pipe that runs to the back - done yesterday and I have to say, it's nice to be able to brake properly again.

They've not been right since I got back from the Alps but due to illness at the garage etc, it's took a while to get them done 

All the bushes etc on the suspension side checked, there the odd bang since I had the car lowered but we've come to the conclusion that it's the exhaust when the potholes are severe.

So gave the car a good whizz to work this morning - it was bouncing on the redline in third for at least ten seconds! Damn Focus RS had the better of me easily tho 😂

• Confused 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

New rear discs and pads and replacement of the brake pipe that runs to the back - done yesterday and I have to say, it's nice to be able to brake properly again.

Glad to hear your all sorted buddy, sorry I wasn't able to sort it in a timely manner, suffering with my hips now 😞

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Damn Focus RS had the better of me easily tho 

But we all know which car we'd rather be in!

But that's an apples and pears comparison.  The RS is a highly tuned sportster, whereas the coupe is a highly refined cruiser (with great performance). 

That's just got me thinking......

I've seen the YouTube videos of the chap in US who added a turbo to his CG4, but I've not seen much evidence of tuning the CG2.   

• Like 5

• Founding Member

Following fitting the "new" alternator and having finally cured the whistling noise, I took my coupe to Scotland for a few days.  Most surprised on arrival in Dumfries to find my battery flat when I tried to restart!  What a coincidence - easy to think the replacement alternator failed quickly, but not the case on investigation.  Luckily I got a jumpstart and shortly stumbled across a National tytes depot who checked both alternator and battery with their special machine (I wonder if it has one fixed message "Replace Battery"?). They said the alternator was fine but the battery  was failing. Well it fit the facts.....

To be fair, I watched the test and after replacing the battery, there has so far been no further problem.  Bit mean for it to happen so far from home when I have 2 spare good batteries at home!  I took the failed battery back home and ran it for a cycle on my battery reconditioner and it now seems to have been recovered so now it seems I now have 3 good spare batteries!

It was interesting fitting the alternator as I simply could not get one of the mounting bolts to start to bite (naturally the rear one  & most difficult to reach properly, and working at fingertip reach, I kept dropping the bolt down into the undertray - until finally even after taking off the undertray, I could not find the dropped bolt at all and had to get a replacement bolt the next day.  First thing I saw on returning to the job to fit the new bolt was the old "lost" bolt!  Next was trying to fit my 6mm output wire ring onto the new alternator's 8mm bolt. Still it was done, albeit the job that should have been 20 mins max took me about 3hrs and a days delay!

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Site Subscriber’s
2 hours ago, hughezee said:

Glad to hear your all sorted buddy, sorry I wasn't able to sort it in a timely manner, suffering with my hips now 😞

Sad to hear that mate. Tom had really bad flu followed by a couple of jobs that took more than the expected time - done now tho.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, PaulS said:

They said the alternator was fine but the battery  was failing. Well it fit the facts.....

Is it a calcium battery? Is the alternator putting out 14.0 - 14.4V? If so, almost certainly nothing wrong with the alternator,except it's not putting out enough voltage, even if it is capable of plenty of current. You may have to add an alternator boost diode to bring the voltage up to 14.7 - 15.1V to get the battery charging.

• Site Subscriber’s
11 hours ago, welland99 said:

But we all know which car we'd rather be in!

But that's an apples and pears comparison.  The RS is a highly tuned sportster, whereas the coupe is a highly refined cruiser (with great performance). 

That's just got me thinking......

I've seen the YouTube videos of the chap in US who added a turbo to his CG4, but I've not seen much evidence of tuning the CG2.   

Apples and pears but I had the inside lane on a rising left bend - he only had me on the brakes into the roundabout, I think he was lacking in conviction in the corner 😉

No, there's not a lot of tuning as the engine doesn't respond to it awfully well. Short of changing the engine and box, you're stuck.

I do feel that a manual box would be fantastic and make a fast car into a quick car.

I can dream.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I do feel that a manual box would be fantastic and make a fast car into a quick car.

Only if you can change gear faster than a computer! :o

Your current gearbox is an electronically controled manual box with torque converter and lock-up clutches. Surprised the Focu RS was quicker though. Later ones had more power but the originals were 180bhp and weighed about 1500kg but i've scared a few. ;):D

• Site Subscriber’s
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Only if you can change gear faster than a computer! :o

Your current gearbox is an electronically controled manual box with torque converter and lock-up clutches. Surprised the Focu RS was quicker though. Later ones had more power but the originals were 180bhp and weighed about 1500kg but i've scared a few. ;):D

One of the matt lime green ones, pretty new and way quicker.

Progressing quicker would be greatly helped in my opinion by a manual box. It might change faster than me but it's often in the wrong gear. If there's a sequence of bends and a quirky exit, it's next to useless compared to a manual box, with which I can pick the right gear to maximize the speed leaving the last corner.

I've tried playing with the stick, it does help sometimes but then again, sometimes it doesn't.

It'd be nice to have a play on my favourite roads in a CG4, I don't reckon there'd be much difference.

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

a manual box, with which I can pick the right gear to maximize the speed leaving the last corner.

You can manually over-ride the auto which i think is what you're saying but there are ways and means of getting either the car in the right gear or altering your driving style to suit the autobox.

I probably have an unfair advantage as i've been driving autos for 30+ years so have learned what works for me and the car, i know when a mate of mine tried keeping up in the manual version of my Rover (thinly disguised Legend) he was driving it hard and i was losing him without trying.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, PTR200S said:

Nicely left space for you (Nikki? ) to get out as well !!

Think the oddball parking crown goes to the Audi owner 😄

2 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

How are you getting on Stu? any better ? 

Problems with my hip now and my foot is still not right 😞

• Like 1