Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Site Subscriber’s
8 hours ago, welland99 said:

How is this done, and how is it beneficial?

Speaking from my recent experience - I had a decent shifting box anyway, the drop into overdrive at 25mph being the most noticeable but now, everything is so much sweeter. The car is smoother and it's not my imagination. I use the car, 15k this last twelve months, and I'm not really an auto fanboy. 

The change into first has lowered by 150rpm if you want specifics and I can now not notice it dropping into overdrive when you lift off at 25mph in D4.

I've had two recent part changes of the gearbox oil, with another planned next time I see Stu.

Stu had some funky sci-fi writing on the reader he used to reset it - like on Tomorrow's World ?

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, hughezee said:

Maybe Dave could answer this better as he always does, my two pennies worth and I am off to bed for an earlier night ?

I think i was already in bed by the time these posts came! :lol:

Not much more to add to Stus explanation except the ECUs for both the engine and box have "trims" - minor adjustments they can make to the factory settings over time. Often they are used to enhance the "driving experience" so will mildly alter shift points, speeds and smoothness depending on your driving style but in a more long term situation, they are altered a bit more to take into account things like wear, reduced hydraulic pressure from old fluid, reduced engine power because it needs servicing and so on.

Over the years these small differences go unknown and most independents don't know about the ECU reset after flluid and filter changes so when the reset is finally done after bringng the servicing back up to standard, the difference is much bigger.

Imagine when you first met your wife and could do no wrong - the relationship was amazing. Two years into the marriage you drop her favourite mug that her mum bought her and she's never forgiven you and it gets brought up every time you have a disagreement.  If you could have a "reset" on that and not break that mug the relationship would still be as amazing as it was when you first met. Of course, 6 months after that reset you'd obviously drop another of her favourite mugs but that's another story! :lol:

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2018 at 8:35 PM, PTR200S said:

Yep ! always been impressed with the size of the boot as mentioned several times in other threads ?

I just don't have an alternative at the moment as I sold the Caddy earlier in the year and the Elysion is the replacement for work and for extended family duties.... just can't get eight people in the Coupe though ?

Amusingly, my 4 18" alloys and tyres wouldn't fit in the boot of the coupe, nor across the back seats but was swallowed up by the wife's Suzuki Alto 1.0 HATCH. eMBARRASSED OF hAMPSHIRE

• Sad 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Lumpy said:

Amusingly, my 4 18" alloys and tyres wouldn't fit in the boot of the coupe, nor across the back seats but was swallowed up by the wife's Suzuki Alto 1.0

Wheels/tyres are big, cumbersome objects though. Even my other car which is a thinly disguised Pickfords truck, i've struggled getting a full set of wheels/tyres in the back of it! :o

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Even my standard 16" (not space saver!!) only just fits, but even then, the cardboard floor plate is around 3" higher in the middle than around the edges.  Why oh why did / do the car makers not allow for a full size wheel to be carried??  If one has a puncture and swaps the space saver to a wheel, where is one supposed to put the removed full sized wheel to carry it to a tyre place???

• Like 2

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Why oh why did / do the car makers not allow for a full size wheel to be carried??  If one has a puncture and swaps the space saver to a wheel, where is one supposed to put the removed full sized wheel to carry it to a tyre place???

Probably a good idea to encourage the average jo to actually get the offending tyre fixed rather than be able to use a full-size spare wheel and forget about the flat tyre in the boot and the fact the space saver is only a temporary measure, with the full size not fitting is a constant reminder. Plus it's a cheaper option for the manufacturer granted they have taken it too far with penny-pinching and removed it altogether 🙄 although it is available as optional extra. 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Wheels/tyres are big, cumbersome objects though. Even my other car which is a thinly disguised Pickfords truck, i've struggled getting a full set of wheels/tyres in the back of it! :o

they wouldn't fit in the 7 series boot either, only 2 would go in there, but the Alto is chuffing tiny.

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

This weekend has been all cars and nothing else !!

Saturday morning, Rebuild HIF SU Carbs for BiL MG1800, new floats, jets, etc due to fuel inside the old floats ...so rude not to give the carbs all sorts of other new bits too.🙄

Saturday afternoon, Take out windscreen off mates MG RV8, plus various other bits ready for repaint etc, then clean up Coupe.

Saturday evening, more work on RV8 plus couple of jobs on the Chimaera.

Sunday morning, Fiddle with Coupe and make sure all bits working ready for MoT on Monday, take for a spin.... meet up with TVR boys....

Sunday afternoon,  Honda Accord Tourer for SiL,  oil and filter change plus headlight "barsteward" bulb change plus more work on RV8..... final check on Coupe.

Sunday evening, result.   😛........ knackered......🙃🙄

• Like 4

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Sunday evening, result.   😛........ knackered......🙃🙄

After a weekend working on MGBs (one of which is on steroids) that's only to be expected! :lol:

Sounds like you had a great petrolhead weekend though! ;):D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

After last weekends efforts I decided this weekend just to check all fluids/tyres etc............. then wash off the salt and cr%p that has accumulated through the driving week...

Taken me nearly a full day and a bit this morning to clean the Coupe, Elysion, Jazz x 2 and then the SiL Tourer arrived after a hard 1000 mile week........... bugger ! Had to open a new sponge !

What is it they are spraying on the roads these days, sticks like sh&t to a blanket 🤬

No wonder the local MULTIPLE ( growing business don't you know ! ) carwash does so well..... maybe they are out adding something to the roads in the night !!

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, PaulS said:

You should have come down to Manchester - it has been raining hard most of the day - you could have saved a lot of elbow grease.....  Hence I have done nothing outdoors!

No rain here on the sunny West Coast !!!!

In fact, we have had quite a few hours sun on and off, bit of wind too, blustery mid day.

Even had my pressure washer out to give the wheel arches a good seeing to !! Use rainwater too so  no white residues,, And no, i don't blast the paintwork with it !!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Excellent stuff, I thought the niggle would be fuel related 👍

Isn't 4krpm about the time VTEC kicks in as well? Wondering if it was old, dirty oil causing a slow activation of VTEC and a resulatant hiccup? I know on mine, when thebutterflies in the intake tracts change position to alter the length, if one or both are a bit sticky, it can cause a bit of a hiccup. ;):D

• Like 2

• Administrators

The symptoms Dean described with the revs dropping out didn't ring as VTEC low oil pressure issue it would just fail to engage the engine management light would come on about 5500rpm and it will still happily redline no limp mode as such. Originally he thought it was a transmission issue as many other forums would lead you to believe and one guy had a tranny rebuild and fresh fluids and it still had the same issue afterwards...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Isn't 4krpm about the time VTEC kicks in as well? Wondering if it was old, dirty oil causing a slow activation of VTEC and a resulatant hiccup? I know on mine, when thebutterflies in the intake tracts change position to alter the length, if one or both are a bit sticky, it can cause a bit of a hiccup. ;):D

I suspected this myself... As she was a bit low on oil. MPG is shocking though 🤔

• Like 1

• Moderators

What Stu said! ^^^^^ There's also a school of thought that Tesco fuel causes premature death of Lambda sensors, i know it was very well publicised when their fuel got "contaminated" several years back and it was killing Lambda sensors for a pastime but i've known Lambda sensors to prematurely die on Tesco fuel as well, even when the "contamination" was no longer present - allegedly. For that level of contaminant to be present in the fuel when they openly admitted to contaminated fuel, they had to be dosing the fuel with that as an additive in the first place. They were the only retailer to be effected so that further enhances my idea they were dosing the fuel with the "contaminant" which implies they still are dosing the fuel.

This is just a theory on my part, i daresay if i did more digging online i'd come up with various facts and pointers that would add weight to it, either way, Tesco fuel isn't good in our engines!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

What Stu said! ^^^^^ There's also a school of thought that Tesco fuel causes premature death of Lambda sensors, i know it was very well publicised when their fuel got "contaminated" several years back and it was killing Lambda sensors for a pastime but i've known Lambda sensors to prematurely die on Tesco fuel as well, even when the "contamination" was no longer present - allegedly. For that level of contaminant to be present in the fuel when they openly admitted to contaminated fuel, they had to be dosing the fuel with that as an additive in the first place. They were the only retailer to be effected so that further enhances my idea they were dosing the fuel with the "contaminant" which implies they still are dosing the fuel.

This is just a theory on my part, i daresay if i did more digging online i'd come up with various facts and pointers that would add weight to it, either way, Tesco fuel isn't good in our engines!

Is Texaco 95/97 and BP 95 ok?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not sure on Texaco as i can't remember the last time in recent years i saw an active Texaco station round here. As for BP 95, that should be ok but give the Ultimate (make sure you pick up the green Ultimate nozzle!) a try - think you'll be pleasantly surprised! ;):D

• Like 1