Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Site Subscriber’s
10 hours ago, Randell said:

I promised a photo of my refurbed wheels and new centre hub caps. https://www.randelljohnphotography.com/Commercial-Products/Honda-V6/i-xHj9tk2/A

-MG-9109-X3.jpg

Gave her a quick polish for the photo below.

-MG-9106-X3.jpg

Managed to find a supplier in the US for a new drivers window regulator, (4 Pin Plug variety), so that's on order and should be with me by the end of the month.
Just hope it's the correct regulator.

Gotta say, it's worth doing the wheels properly - it's such a small amount of money for something that lifts the whole car. They look fab.

After I had mine refurbed, I had to get 68mm centre caps, as the 69s wouldn't sit properly and I lost a few.

• Like 2

I'm not sure  what size the centre caps are Kelvin. The previous owner had already bought them and he gave them to me with the car. He was about to get the wheels refurbed himself, but decided to sell the car as it was.
I paid £300 for the wheel refurb. I suppose I could have spent a couple of weekends sanding, filling, painting and applying lacquer, but at the end of the day I don't think I could have got a finish like this.
The company did a great job, especially as they were pretty badly pitted.

• Like 3

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I'm a painter

As in house painting etc? The reason i ask is powder coating is a very different technique, even to spray painting and a lot depends on the oven temperature and the quality of the powder coat compound.

Or am i missing something here and they spray painted them?

• Site Subscriber’s

No, mine were powder coated but I've hung around a factory watching it done often enough when I used booths regularly to spray work stuff.

I've personally restored wheels before, sprayed with decent kit obviously and there's not a chance I could get them like my refurbs. Not for £300, which was my point.

• Like 3

• Site Subscriber’s

Had a lovely drive across the county this morning. 20 miles of back roads, mostly great tarmac and perfect early morning weather.

The lowered suspension and the new front tyres were superb. I was getting a little tired of the jiggling, crashing and banging on the potholes of town roads and this morning was a reminder of why I sorted the suspension. 

Roll on tomorrow morning and another 20 mile dash. I even get a parking space.

IMG_20190513_140007582.jpg

• Like 4
  • Clap Hands 1

• 2 weeks later...

My new replacement window regulator and motor eventually turned up from the other side of the pond.
I was faithfully promised a 4 Pin motor to enable the 'Auto Open/Close' function, so I was a tad grumpy when I opened the box to find a 2 pin plug and cables fitted.
Never to be put off by such things I decided to swap the motors over. (I tell you now this isn't a job for the faint hearted).
Recoiling the spring and getting it to relocate, took a fair amount of messing around.
I photographed the mechanism first, measured the outside diameter of the tensioned spring, and with a fair bit of jiggling and sweating managed to get everything back together again.
I used a three sets 'Mole Grips', clamped one in a vice and managed recoil the spring and clamp it with the other pair of grips, and very carefully latch it into place.
If I have to do this job again I think I'll just forsake the auto window switch. It was a Royal pain in the arse to be quite honest.

Anyway it's all done now, but this job could have so easily been avoided. The regulator was damaged by a stray strip of plastic, which someone at sometime, had left inside the door. It had wrapped itself around the teeth on the regulator, and caused it to bind, and eventually chipped a couple of teeth on the gearing.

In all the job took me about 3 hours. So I saved myself a fair bit of cash doing it myself, so I'm chuffed.
Here's a picture of old and new regulator on top of each other, and the mess, when the regulator sprung apart when I unbolted the old motor.

IMG-2886-X3.jpg

My heart sunk a little bit. :)

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 2

• Moderators

Not much to report on Greenie at the moment.

Currently working on the spoiler preparation ready for spraying but taking my time on other projects isn't helping!

There is a new , "rare" part headed my way to enhance Greenie a little bit more....and the two guys that know about this take note...any leaks of what it is and I will send the boys round !!!

Suffice to say the part is the sort of thing you could stroke its so nice !!   Update soon !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just received another part today, still few parts left to order before replacing everything on the car. Unfortunately some of those parts left aren't available at Honda for the moment so there is some delay before i got them. Otherwise i have to swap my spoiler trunk for my spoilerless trunk and installing other goodies i have. Actually i'll make a thread for my car and its progress. And i know..i still need to upload some pictures of her arghh...

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 2

• Administrators

Finally got around to sorting my audio niggles in the coupe and after removing a supposedly reputable ISO adaptor and replacing it with 20-year old Japanese made loom (a little bit of modification) the sound quality is transformed and no intermittent speaker fading in an out going over bumps.

20190608-133458%5B1%5D.jpg
20190608-133450%5B2%5D.jpg

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

Congrats from me too!.  I wonder if it was a dodgy soldered / crimped joint somewhere on the ISO connector....?  Just sorted a dodgy crimped joint on a friend's MG Midget which caused intermittent ignition loss.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Before putting everything back I replaced some illumination bulbs on the fog, headlight washer buttons (recycled spares from another job I did years ago) with some Maplin jobbies as I was feeling a little impatient just wanted it all finished, all working a treat. 👍

• Like 2