Subscriptions & Donations ×

K&N Panel Filter...

Mangoman

• Moderators

I've fitted the K&N direct replacement filters to both of mine Bill - not quite a panel filter but the panel filter is a like-for-like replacement as well so my results are valid i think. Performance was noticeably improved, little or no increase in induction roar but a slightly deeper exhaust note. Economy doesn't seem to be effected (maybe 1-2mpg more but difficult to be sure) but the fact i can "fit and forget" them is a great bonus.

I haven't had any downsides to report so maybe Stus experience with the IACV have been coincidental as he suggests. ;):D

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Ive heard of issues being caused by an oil film coating sensors attached to the throttle bodies on other cars, the IACV might have issues with the spindle collecting grit if it has an oil film it isnt supposed to have.

I think any improvement in performance is positive conformation bias in my eyes, the extra flow would be minimal and if there is any extra flow (Which is doubtful with a modern panel filter) then to make the most of it a remap would be needed.

Its not like your messing about with an old Ford pinto block thats been running an old frying pan type round filter on a VV carb, in that situation a pancake K&N might be an improvement over standard, on a late 90s fuel injected Honda it would make no difference at all.

Keep your money and spend it on something useful.

• Like 2

• Moderators

All fair comments Richie, however to take them one at a time, the oil film coating shouldn't be there regardless of which type filter you have and is usually a sign the engine has been thrashed mercilessly.

I tend to agree about the positive confirmation bias certainly from my point of view. However it was someone else who noticed the difference in how the car picked up and pulled and i hadn't told them i'd done anything - in fact their first reaction was shock and their words unprintable! ;):D A remap would probably improve things further but the PGM-Fi unit is capable of a certain amount of self-remapping.

The Pinto engine isn't really a fair comparison to any Honda engine, let alone a multi-valve V6 although i do see your point. However we're not talking about a universal type K&N that generally gives variable results for the simple reason it's universal. This is the one that i've used in both my coupé and my Sterling - as previously mentioned it's not a typical panel filter but a direct replacement for the original type so is`a good comparison.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/E-0999-Replacement-Air-Filter/dp/B000E7DMEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479290738&sr=8-1&keywords=K%26N+E-0999

As for spending money on something useful, i'm not sure on the current availability for standard air filter elements for the J30, however for the C27 they're like hens teeth these days. As such fitting these was incredibly useful for me and i got the added bonus of slight improvements too. ;):D

• Founding Member

I have had one fitted for a few years now and just clean it with the K&N stuff and oil it up. Never had an issue and to be honest can't really remember the difference in performance. If anything I think it's an excellent cost effective option. I have also recently bought an AEM Dual Chamber Cold Air Intake system on recommendation from Charles. See the link below: 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies and opinions - much appreciated.

My thinking was that I fitted one to my R75 and it improved all-round performance - in fact I still have it as I removed it before I sold the car.

Also seeing as a standard filter replacement for the Coupe is almost £20 anyway, (which it needs) so I thought I might as well pay the extra £13 (Found one for £33.00)

and get one that will not need changing with the possibility of improved performance, seeing as the standard intake system seems excessively restrictive anyway and any help making it less so is a good thing, no....???

In my mind a no-brainer really. And what's £13, 3 drinks down the Pub.... :)

• Moderators

............ or two gallons of petrol, a couple of Big Macs or whatever. In a few thousand miles you'd have to replace the standard filter at another £20 so you'll actually be £7 to the good by then - free Big Mac or pint and a half (HIC!) or gallon of petrol................. ;):D

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators
19 minutes ago, Retsof G said:

Very interesting debate i take on board the pros & cons   thanks again  stu for the link , ive used K&N filters in the past without issues but on much older vehicles like me 

Very much a personal thing, driving styles etc ^_^

• Like 4

• Moderators

I have them in both of my Honda-powered cars and they don't make much difference to the noise level, just a little "sportier" from intake to exhaust and improve response slightly.

In fairness mine are the "snail-shell" filters :

E-0999.jpg

http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=E-0999

All that said, my UAV (Volvo) has a more normal square paper element at the moment, when it's due for replacement i'll be seriously looking at the K&N version. I think the economy is marginally improved as well and as Stu says, it's down to personal choice. However, with mine i don't have a lot of choice as the snail shells are pretty much NLA on the aftermarket, OE filters are scarily expensive especially round here where the soil is very sandy and blows everywhere in the dry weather - clogs filters in no time! ;):D

• Like 4

A huge thank you & thumps up to stuart ?????, i mentioned the fact i was thinking about replacing my air filter with a K&N  unit & stuart very kindly offered me one Free of charge ,just reimburse the postal cost what a gent , well it arrived earlier today already  serviced ready to fit  ,thanks to all your help and encouragement, 

20170405_102203.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Retsof G said:

A huge thank you & thumps up to stuart ?????, i mentioned the fact i was thinking about replacing my air filter with a K&N  unit & stuart very kindly offered me one Free of charge ,just reimburse the postal cost what a gent , well it arrived earlier today already  serviced ready to fit  ,thanks to all your help and encouragement,

You're very welcome Gary it's what the club is all about...

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, UrbexRobby said:

If i fit air filter cone does it improve response or does it make the car worst as looking to make it slight quicker and loud

Never really noticed improvements myself, but it's a personal thing and a few members are happy with their air filter mods and I am sure they will chime in shortly ;)

• Moderators

Not convinced of the value of cone filters inside engine bays, just pulls hot air in ........ rather than cool or cold air which is far better for power.

My S2k has a cone filter (standard Honda setup ! ) inside the airbox with a cold air feed . A lot of the guys run without the box lid because its sounds GREAT ! But the downside is hot air reducing the power output.

To mitigate that some run with the box lid cracked open, still sounds good but is still not great,.  By far better if you are going cool air cone is getting the intake outside the bonnet area..not really sure if it can be piped down to the front valance, in the coupe, behind fog light area maybe?

Once again though , increasing the length of the intake changes the characteristics of the motor....  not sure these cars worth playing with like this, ditto, the exhaust system.

Still, until someone tries :P

• Like 1

Here is a interesting Test on Filters.

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/tuning/performance-car-air-filter-test/ 

And as far as warm air under the Bonnet - this is only a problem at very low speeds or at standstill. As soon as you are moving at speeds above 20mph temperature differences are negligible, especially as the Airboxes themselves are under the bonnet and get hot anyway which in turn heats up the air going through them. 

At the end of the day "Flow" is king. In & Out!

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Mangoman said:

And as far as warm air under the Bonnet - this is only a problem at very low speeds or at standstill. As soon as you are moving at speeds above 20mph

Interesting test that, all on the bench though but really illustrates the flow capability of the filters....... although not of temperature changes.

I take your point, Bill but that's the problem exactly, most of us spend much of our time at slow speeds, especially since the doogooders got the 20mph limits introduced....don't get me started !

If you have ever looked at the average speeds information on a modern cars computer display it invariably is below 20mph,,, it takes a goodly run at higher speeds to get rid of the effect of traffic lights, roundabouts, narrow roads congestion etc... to get the averages up. Just dependent on where you live I guess.

Most cars that have standard airboxes have a cold air feed from outside the bonnet area although I concede not all do.... as soon as the cone filter goes on that feed disappears....manufacturers spend millions (they say!) getting this right but its all to do with emissions once again. 

Anyhoo, try telling a TVR / Triumph owner that under bonnet temperatures are good for fueling :blink:

• Like 1

intresting .... i was going to fit my cone filter to where the intake feed comes into behind the headlight but again i seen something i really like.... a enclosed round air filter i will find it and post it  when i get a moment ;) where there wont be any warm air going in as it only 100% cold air as it comepletely closed off like air box

Of course, each to their own, of which I respect. But it is really defeating the object of having a Cone Filter, and that is having a very large area surface to draw in unrestricted air. By having it inside an airbox is really not much different to having a Panel Filter in it instead, as you are still restricted by the Feed Pipe into the Airbox, which is under the bonnet absorbing the ambient temperature anyway.

Personally I don't see the point of replacing a Flat Filter inside an Airbox with a Round one...???

Ciao.... ;)

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mangoman said:

Of course, each to their own, of which I respect

Personally I don't see the point of replacing a Flat Filter inside an Airbox with a Round one...???

Ciao.... ;)

Me too , re all view points.

True enough re round to flat.... not sure why Honda did it in the s2k as a factory fit... but they must have a reason !

Ideally the cone filter should be out front for that ram air effect ! Looks bit silly though! 

• Like 1