Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Wheels & Rims Chat 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

Steve in Ireland

To be honest Geoff I wanted to get a bit more profile on my tyres either by going a bit wider and keeping the same ratio, ie 40. Or going for a higher ratio, ie 45. Mainly just to soften the ride a bit by having a bit more rubber between the rim and the road. You'd be surprised by what half an inch does!

But I had to give that idea up because either way it would increase the price of each tyre by almost 40%.... Crazy!!

• Moderators

I suspect if you'd gone for 225/40/18 Geoff that would be much closer to the same size as a 195/65/15 or 205/55/16 which are the standard tyres depending on engine size etc. Both have a similar rolling radius. This is the site i use for a tyre size calculator, you have to scroll down the page to find it but you'll see what i mean :

http://www.etyres.co.uk/how-to-change-your-tyre-size/

You could go the whole hog and send you wheels off to be refurbished and powder coated i suppose........... ;):D

• Founding Member
50 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I suspect if you'd gone for 225/40/18 Geoff that would be much closer to the same size as a 195/65/15 or 205/55/16 which are the standard tyres depending on engine size etc. Both have a similar rolling radius. This is the site i use for a tyre size calculator, you have to scroll down the page to find it but you'll see what i mean :

http://www.etyres.co.uk/how-to-change-your-tyre-size/

You could go the whole hog and send you wheels off to be refurbished and powder coated i suppose........... ;):D

Correct me if I'm wrong Geoff but I think you bought the wheels off Richard (I think that was his name) who had these size tyres fitted? When I met him at the meet he had 45's fitted whereas 40's are the right size for 18" alloys (as Dave said). I did question the drop on the coupe as it looked good but he said that he went upto 45's to fill the gap and I have to say it actually worked and did the trick! 

Powder coating is the way forward.....£55 a wheel at the place I go to....spot on professional and a first class job. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

He got them from Rob ;) and looking at the wheels up close they will need to have some work to get rid of the kerb rash just to successfully powder coat them, like your minter rims buddy. I think Geoff will plug for a simple the new look finish, grind, skim, sand, primer, paint and lacquer jobbie that I offered him for the cost of materials. ;)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong Geoff but I think you bought the wheels off Richard (I think that was his name) who had these size tyres fitted? When I met him at the meet he had 45's fitted whereas 40's are the right size for 18" alloys (as Dave said). I did question the drop on the coupe as it looked good but he said that he went upto 45's to fill the gap and I have to say it actually worked and did the trick! 

Powder coating is the way forward.....£55 a wheel at the place I go to....spot on professional and a first class job. 

I went for the compromise, I stuck with the 40 Aspect Ratio but went up to 235's. Get the extra rubber with a little extra height. :) 

Although there are some gains in going for a higher Aspect - will improve economy slightly as you are doing less revs for the same speed, and the tyres will last longer as you actually travel further per revolution... Win/Win. :D

• Founding Member
21 hours ago, hughezee said:

He got them from Rob ;) and looking at the wheels up close they will need to have some work to get rid of the kerb rash just to successfully powder coat them, like your minter rims buddy. I think Geoff will plug for a simple the new look finish, grind, skim, sand, primer, paint and lacquer jobbie that I offered him for the cost of materials. ;)

I think so Stu, perhaps in the summer when it's warmer.  What about going down the black route instead of silver?  ;). Black wheels look B) perhaps a nice matt black.  The I may even get the rear and side windows tinted, nothing too dark or gangster, something to complement the wheels?  Hmmmm.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Everyone is likely to have an opinion on the colour of your wheels Geoff so i'll stick mine in early! :lol:

Black? No, no, no, - a million times, NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

If you really want to go dark with the wheels which rarely works with dark coloured cars, go for graphite/gunmetal grey or body colour.

If you want something different from the standard silver, how about gold (would work well if you have the Gold Pack) or chrome? There is a chrome powder coat that works well, costs more as i believe it needs a black base coat, chrome colour coat then clear lacquer, all in powder coat.

Then again you could, if you wanted something really different, get them anodised? ;):D

• Like 1

Hi Geoff.

As the others have stated, I too don't think black would look cool. Definitely Silver or Gold. Chrome is lovely except that any damage cannot be repaired, the complete wheel has to be redone - expensive!

As far as the tinting goes not a bad idea and you can buy them ready-cut in differing shades.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Cut-Window-Tint-Honda-Accord-2D-Coupe-98-02-Rear-Window-Rear-Sides-Any-Shade-/222365153338?hash=item33c5fef83a  Makes the job a whole lot easier... :) As you know mine are tinted. But I bought the car like that.

Good luck.

• Founding Member

Thanks for the link to the tints Bill.  Just looked and they look great although am I right in thinking its best to fit them in warmer weather?  I bet fitting the rear is a nightmare too.  Presumably you just clean the glass properly and then stick on, perhaps using a flat credit card to ensure no air bubbles?

After consideration (and seeing Stu earlier) I think I'll stick with the gunmetal colour.  :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Thanks for the link to the tints Bill.  Just looked and they look great although am I right in thinking its best to fit them in warmer weather?  I bet fitting the rear is a nightmare too.  Presumably you just clean the glass properly and then stick on, perhaps using a flat credit card to ensure no air bubbles?

After consideration (and seeing Stu earlier) I think I'll stick with the gunmetal colour.  :)

HI Geoff.

With regards the Tinting, yes, best above 15*C.

And can I be honest concerning the Rear Screen - get it done professionally. Honest. And no more than 20%. Preferably 35%.

And oh lordy, I love that Shadow Chrome - almost gave me a hard-on!

• Moderators

Very nice Geoff! I've been looking at "Black Chrome" which is sort of similar but darker than "Shadow Chrome". Been looking at various methods of home electroplating including "Replichrome" which is a highly bright nickel with some sort of colourant to give it the "blue daylight" hue and make it shinier and more reflective. Apparently, once something has been replica chrome plated it can have a quick plating of black nickel passivate which gives it an almost black but very shiny finish - black chrome. Doing a shorter quick plating results in different shades so shadow chrome could be achieved with practice i expect.

If you're still thinking of your wheels, if you had them diamond polished which basically takes a very fine skim off the front, a bit like skimming a cylinder head to make the surface true, then had them anodised there is a colour that is very similar to the shadow chrome. Anodising gives a very hard, durable surface finish so is a good long term idea. ;):D

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

I have to agree with Bill on this especially the coupe, although my old Type V specified bigger tyres on the rear and was FWD car and it handled the best out of all previous versions I had, but can't see the coupe behaving the same... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Might look the business but the real aficionados will be asking why all the time or be having a bit of a laugh. (It happens believe me) - just saying. As far as I'm concerned sometimes different is better, as you can tell by mine, a bit of an abortion!

But I've been to 'Meets' with my old MR2 and was almost ostracized by some because it had Stripes and non-Japanese Alloys!

Also to have staggered tyres correctly, you should have different size wheels aswell. Wider on the rear. Now THAT will look nice!

Like this as an example: Kr0c2j6.jpg

Good luck with your 'Mods'.... ;)

And more photo's! :D

I fitted 235/40x18's all-round. These: https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s322p124879/Nexen_Tyres_Car_Nexen_N8000_Nexen_N_8000_-_235_40_R18_95Y_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_3_Noise%3A_74dB

But I got a good deal at Formula1 at £250.00 for 4 Balanced & Fitted!

And although the EU Ratings aren't that great in the real world they get rave-reviews!  http://www.productreview.com.au/p/nexen-n8000.html

And I'm pretty chuffed aswell! Inspire real confidence.... :D

Y8i9g5d.jpg