Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Wheels & Rims Chat 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

Steve in Ireland

Bought my Coupe with snazzy looking Suzuki Grand Vitara wheels fitted.  Same offset and PCD as the standard Honda wheels so appeared to fit OK.  However, when I took a wheel off yesterday discovered that they don't fit as the centre spigot hole in the Suzuki wheel is 60.1mm while the Honda spigot is 64.1mm. The previous owner had fitted spacers to make the wheels fit, but that meant that the only thing locating the wheels on the hubs was the wheel studs and nuts - not great!  Also meant that the edges of the rear tyres were occasionally catching the wheel arches on bumps as they were spaced out too far.  Have picked up a set of 2008 Honda Accord 16 inch wheels which do fit properly, even if they don't look as snazzy at the 17 inch Suzuki wheels.  Had new tyres fitted to the Suzuki wheels as soon as I got the car and would have thought the tyre fitter would have picked up on that.  At least the new tyres I bought will fit my Rover 75.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's common practice to fit "spigot rings" to ensure wheels with a larger centre bore but correct PCD/offset etc will fit and they are held centrally on the axle - wheel nuts alone will NOT centre a wheel on an axle/hub.

I used spigot rings when i fitted some Volvo S/V40 BBS alloys on my coupe and have had no problems at all. Spacers are ok if the offset needs correcting and they are the "hub-centric" variety where they have a stub/flange to mount the wheels on. Plain spacers just to eliminate the need for machining the wheels however aren't.

A useful site for checking PCDs, offsets, centre bores etc is :

http://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html

Used it many times to check what wheels will fit what and i think the wheels off my Jeep will fit Accords/Legends with the 5 stud fitting but not the other way round - or have i got that the wrong way and i can fit Accord/Legend wheels to my Jeep but not my Jeep wheels on a Honda? Can't remember! :blush:

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

The Accord Type R 17inch 10 spoke alloys where an option on our coupes and I think they would set your motor off nicely (see picture below) alternatively make a few suggestions of what your thinking of and your looking for wheels with 5x114.3 stud fitments ;)

100_1835_zpse4b9a3bc.jpg

• Founding Member

All I would say if you do look at 18's they do make the car look like its on stilts as they sit so high so having the coupe lowered would definitely enhance the look IMO. Also be mindful of getting the correct offset wheels otherwise they may protrude out of the wheel arches.

HAve a look at the post below to get ideas on looks 

12 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

All I would say if you do look at 18's they do make the car look like its on stilts as they sit so high so having the coupe lowered would definitely enhance the look IMO. Also be mindful of getting the correct offset wheels otherwise they may protrude out of the wheel arches.

HAve a look at the post below to get ideas on looks 

Some lovely cars there! I like the accord type r wheels. Also like more modern accord type s wheels.

• Like 1

• Founding Member
  • 6 months later...
  • Founding Member

I think he deserves it...The Purple One is having new wheels next weekend from Rob (aka Coupeman), same wheels he's got on his lovely silver coupe, off an RX8 and bolt straight on.  The extra 2 inches (ooo errr Dave) from 16 to 18 should fill the arches better.  Oil change, ATF filter change and a rub down for my fuel sender (ooo errr Dave) and he'll be a happy coupe.  :)

62C9453E-6308-45DF-AC14-175D8951183D_zps

7EEB0BC9-2B15-46BA-A464-FFD6A5B317C1_zps

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ooo-errr!!! Nothing like sorting your spigot rings Stu!

I'm sure your new wheels will look great Geoff! ;):D

I'm very interested in how the ride is transformed, i know on the 800 when you go bigger than 16" the ride becomes quite jarring and twitchy even with the Vitesse spec suspension that the 17"s were designed to go with. So much so in fact that a young lad i know who recently added a Vitesse fastback to his "fleet" replaced the 17" Vitesse wheels with 16" "Prestige" wheels from a Sterling that is now razor blades. If your razor blades go spectacularly rusty extremely quickly, you know they were once his Rover Sterling! :lol:

In fairness i know he has back troubles and in fact is currently laid up with sciatica or something very similar so maybe he wouldn't have changed them if it wasn't for that.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I think they'll fill the wheel arches better plus they look B) too. The extra 2 inches makes all the difference Dave. Ooo Matron!  I'm not going to mess around with the suspension, shocks etc but I'll still have a car that looks lowered due to the wheels filling the arches better. Plus I don't want to shatter my spine every time I go down a small pot hole. Once they're on and I've driven it for a while I'll report back. ;)

• Like 3