Subscriptions & Donations ×

Dehumidifiers

hughezee

• Administrators

I've been using dehumidifier in my cars for a couple of years now and its surprising how much water they pick-up throughout the year not just the winter months.

IMG_20160418_123129.jpgIMG_20160418_123143.jpg

I've just replaced the one in my Accord as its full after approximately 4 months and before you say I have leak I don't, the daily driver Shuttle has been going through them like nobody's business :lol: The long term effects are pretty clear to the cars longevity and keeping the moisture low will not only keep it rust free for allot longer in the areas often to difficult to weld further down the road but all the electrical components and connections wont suffer as much either :D

IMG_20160418_123204.jpgIMG_20160418_123239.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Founding Member

Stu recommended putting some of these damp traps in the boot to combat damp etc, so I thought I would get one for a £1 and see if they work.  Pictured below is my mini damp trap which lives in the boot, as you can see, it's doing it's job and collecting quite a lot of moisture!!  :o

86E1A6A4-F0B6-4B27-8618-3C6C7CD56325_zps

• Like 2

• Moderators

As we all know, warm/hot air is very moist and less dense than cold air where the moisture tends to condense out and land on the ground.

Hence air-con being very useful in winter when the moisture is dropping out of the air more easily and fogging up the windows! ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Hang on....hang on...."sunshine damp traps"  :huh:  Are these different to the Poundland or Asda jobbies?

Don't worry Geoff - it's "Liquid Sunshine" they're referring to...................... :D

23 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Rising damp are the ones to watch :lol:

Indeed Miss Jones! ;):lol::D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

Picked a couple of these items up from Trago Mills, which are like big versions of the tiny silica gel packs you get in covid test packs. Both the Streetka and the Coupe have recently been getting quite misted up, and so far, they seem to be working. Will update you all accordingly. 

IMG_20221210_132702982.jpg

IMG_20221210_132819603.jpg

IMG_20221210_132830066.jpg

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Nice idea, they're also available on fleabay with a choice of 350g (like yours), 500g or 1kg for serious damp problems!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225164286484

Useful for anyone nowhere near one of those stores you mention, not sure how the price compares but not too far different i would think?

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
On 12/10/2022 at 2:16 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Nice idea, they're also available on fleabay with a choice of 350g (like yours), 500g or 1kg for serious damp problems!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225164286484

Useful for anyone nowhere near one of those stores you mention, not sure how the price compares but not too far different i would think?

They only sold the 350g , which was £4.49. Cheaper than ebay, but a long way for you guys to drive! Although it's quite nice down here in Devon at this time of year!

• Like 3

• Founding Member

I have reuseable dehumidifiers in all my cars over winter.  the 1kg version starts at just under 1kg  and stops absorbing at around 1.3kg.  Then i microwave it down to ~900g again (approx 15 mins from 1.3kg), mop out the microwave,  let both cool, and use the dehumidifier bag once more.  Seems to work well.  I bought 6 of them so i have 2 spares ready to swap if I notice a car appearing moist inside... (well I do live in rainy city...)

• Like 4