Subscriptions & Donations ×

Pretend Wood Veneer Centre Dash Console

AhsyV6

• Moderators
22 hours ago, KingK0ng said:

It's maybe the picture but my doorpanel look same as the gearchange surround, can't notice a difference. Because before install the radio surround i put it next to my doorpanels and the difference was major. Actually the gearchange is more matching than the doorpanels. 

I can see what you mean now (on the big screen pc !!) definitely a different hue but that gearchange panel is the one that stands out for me, very dark...slight difference in radio to door panels....

Wonder why the radio panel you supplied to me seems darker and matches the rest of the panels in my car ..well nearly !

Were both the panels from the same batch that you got?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Were both the panels from the same batch that you got?

I don't know, i remember those panels having a number on the back of them, was looking like a production number ot something but can't recall if they were close to each other to be from the same batch.

I'll see if i can get another panel, but this time i'll go for a used one. I think those panels who came on coupe from factory have more chance to color matcht the rest of the surroudings. Once i got one matching i then probably will sell my current one.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I was doing some audio wiring work this weekend on the Honda so thought this would be my excuse to try and restore the wood trim surrounds.

Things I used:

IMG20230311213340.jpg

I didn't have any before and after comparisons, but I did take my time and polished each trim piece 3 times to reduce the amount of swirls and scratches until there was no visible improvement. Can't say I am 100% satisfied but they are deffinetly better than they where before. 

IMG20230311220400.jpg

IMG20230311220104.jpg

IMG20230311215658.jpg

Hard to tell with artificial light, but the radio surround came out best out of the interior trims. I wanted to apply some Chemical Guys Jet seal on them, but couldn't justify spending £40 at Halfords. Ended up applying some ceramic coating on them for protection and finish. Might post an image in daylight of the trims once I have done the window switch surrounds.

• Clap Hands 2

7 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Looks good from here but a better pic would be with them installed ...????

Maybe a "long" view with all in shot, or most anyway !!!

I reckon I will look great once re installed in situ.

IMG20230313135614-2.jpg

IMG20230313165515-2.jpg

image.jpg

... I left the clock out as I need to replace the backlight bulb. I think it looks okay for a first attempt.

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 2

37 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

That looks the biz !!

Well done, definitely worth the effort !!!

I think the Coupes look really good with the full "wood" in, classy even ??

Thankyou. I personally prefer the beige/cream interior for the full on wood look. For me it just blends in perfectly. I don't know what convinced me to change mine but the black plastic surround is easily forgiving on the charcoal interior. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Excellent stuff! I've recently polished my headlights (plastic lenses so also go milky) and was looking to find a different product to the usual anti-UV lacquer. I found this which can be peeled off if/when it goes cloudy and simply replaced as it should (in theory at least) prevent UV getting to the headlamp lenses, or in your case, the wood.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151172691767?var=450227805831

It can be shaped with a heat gun before removing the backing film making the final application easier then use the heat gun to help get any bubbles out too and make the glue more sticky.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Excellent stuff! I've recently polished my headlights (plastic lenses so also go milky) and was looking to find a different product to the usual anti-UV lacquer. I found this which can be peeled off if/when it goes cloudy and simply replaced as it should (in theory at least) prevent UV getting to the headlamp lenses, or in your case, the wood.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151172691767?var=450227805831

It can be shaped with a heat gun before removing the backing film making the final application easier then use the heat gun to help get any bubbles out too and make the glue more sticky.

It's been a while since I last cleaned my headlights. I think it helps just to keep on top of them to prevent the usual cloudiness. Putting a film on seems a good idea for the long run, but would it withstand the weather over time? Have you tried putting a ceramic coating on the headlights, might help with adding a long term protective coating on the lense? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Harry93 said:

Putting a film on seems a good idea for the long run, but would it withstand the weather over time?

From what i understand, that film is designed for outdoor use so it should withstand the weather. Not sure about a ceramic coating, it might distort the light/beam pattern? The film is a relatively cheap thing to try and if it works, easy to replace if/when it goes cloudy or whatever.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

From what i understand, that film is designed for outdoor use so it should withstand the weather. Not sure about a ceramic coating, it might distort the light/beam pattern? The film is a relatively cheap thing to try and if it works, easy to replace if/when it goes cloudy or whatever.

Okay, sounds a better approach to keeping them protected in the long term, if it can be applied properly, you don't want them to start peeling off over a certain amount of time. And I suppose it is more cost effective rather than wasting time getting fancy headlight polish kits. But personally I would atleast try out a ceramic product specifically for the headlights. But otherwise, sounds good 👍.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators
22 hours ago, dangrant77 said:

Next job is the steering wheel from the Type V!

The wood effect from the Type-V models is lighter and is less noticeable in the tan interior cars 🤔 yours being a dark interior there's a good chance it will stick out.🤨

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hughezee said:

The wood effect from the Type-V models is lighter and is less noticeable in the tan interior cars 🤔 yours being a dark interior there's a good chance it will stick out.🤨

Yes I did think that when I held it up to the interior! Ah well, guess i've got a spare wheel out of it 😂

Also on the topic of spare parts, i've now got a spare set of control arms, sway bars, tail lights, indicator stork and wing mirrors in storage just in case of a rainy day.. planning on continuing to build my spares up over the next year too. (Any recommendations for clutch kit and brakes for the 2.0 manual would be a huge help!)

• Like 2