Subscriptions & Donations ×

Pretend Wood Veneer Centre Dash Console

AhsyV6

• Founding Member
45 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Nice work Ahsy - out of interest was any of the wood "milky"? I've often seen the lacuer go opaque so the wood looks milky.

Thank you.....no milky areas except the fact that the top of the panel was lighter due to sunlight fade. However you can't really notice it in the car. 

I was actually very impressed with the quality of the lacquer along with the thickness. A couple of the scratches were very deep and I applied some real elbow grease to remove them and the lacquer looks perfect still. 

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I've never used the headlight level adjuster...ever.  Useful I suppose if you carrying Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy in the rear though I suppose.  :huh:  Looking at the pic above it look like the mount where they should be has been chopped off?  Looks nice though.  :wub:

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Those switches are on a separate panel that simply just comes on as one piece.

I absolutely loved my Saturday 4pm wrestling with good ole Dickie Davies......my old man used to take me all over the UK to watch the wrestlers of old do their acting.....whoops I meant grudge matches. I had so many autographs in my autograph book and posters we'd collect from the venues! I had Ian Fist Clive Myers to Tony St Claire to Mick McManus to Shirley Crabtree(Big Daddy)......but from memory I never got Kendos! God knows where that autograph book is now.

About 6 years ago my manager at the time told me that her father in law was the late Shirley Crabtree.....I couldn't believe it! 

• Like 1

• Moderators

If memory serves, the 0 position on the headlight adjuster is driver only. Position 1 is one passenger, position 2 is 2 or more passengers and 3 is for 2 or more passengers and a boot full of luggage/shopping. There is talk of the headlight level adjuster coming in to the MoT at some point in the future, whether it will or it's just more hot air from Brussels (oo-err missus - xmas afternoon comes to mind! :lol: ) so even if you don't transport the likes of Giant Haystacks around, you may want to check it's still working and blind some worms occasionally! ;):D

• Founding Member

Ahhh great days from Scunthorpe Civic Hall or another local hall somewhere in the country.  We all knew it was all an act, as is current wrestling.....very well choreographed of course....I mean, if someone whacked you on the head with a chair, you'd probably be unconcious for weeks, let alone climb into the ring to meet out justice!!! 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hey guys, i noticed that the woodgrain radio console have a different hue and slightly ligher than the woodgrain window and shifter surroudings, those last ones are slightly darker. When there its not direct sunlight it's not very noticable but on there is i can definitively see the hue isn't the same. 

Notice that windows and shifter woodgrain are thick abs plastic while the radio console is more a flexible sort of plastic. Could the difference in hue may be caused by the difference in materials ?

Note that the woodgrain radio console i installed is brand new, so it didn't came with my car from factory. I thought that the hue difference may be perhaps because of a different year batch production ? My window and shifter woodgrain are dirty too, i didn't polish them or whatever. If i make a good polish do you think the color may open up a bit ? 

Out of curiosity for those who have a woodgrain radio console is yours slightly lighter as well compared to your windows and shifter woodgrain surroundings ?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hadn't noticed this but will have a proper look at mine and report in...

Not sure if polishing will help but as you say the gearshift and window caps are dirty, engrained probably, I would give them a good clean with a water based cleaner and a microfibre cloth.. something like Bilt Hambers Surfex HD cleaner....

Gently does it though, don't scrub at it as I would guess the coating is probably pretty thin !!

• Like 1

• Administrators

There are two versions I have seen and apart from some slight sun fade at the very top of mine, it matches my other plastic tree inserts perfectly but mines an early completely moulded version rather than the later stick-on version. I have noticed some the of trims in other cars don't look quite right but I assume they're the stick-on version, but another member davebrads also match his interior spot on IMO...

• Like 2

The two version you mean are the moulded and stick-on version ?

Didn't knew there was a moulded version...do you have any picture of that one ? 

Actually the first coupe i had was from 99 and it had the woodgrain radio surrounding. Back then didn't notice any mismatch color and i even actually though it was some real wood because it looked so well done and real to me xD. Now that you mention the moulded version i think it was probably one of those my 99 coupe had. I'm going to make some research to see if i can found any picture of the moulded version.

• Like 1

• Moderators

If it's any consolation, real wood trim does fade differently in sunlight so it never really matches after a few years. With wood you can GENTLY sand the lacquer down and recoat it which normally returns them all to the same colour as the lacquer tends to go milky.

I've not been brave enough to try mine yet but i'm assured by people that have that it works.

On the plastic trim, try spraying the faded bits with WD40 - the sun tends to bleach the natural oils in the plastic and dry the polymer. Let it dry as much as it's going to then firstly wipe off then buff the trim. Just to be sure, try it on an inconspicuous bit first.

I've tried it on some black plastic that wouldn't matter if it went wrong and it worked nicely. I now have a black grass box for my lawnmower instead of a pale grey one!

Just found this picture below on the net. It's a stick-on version and if you see closely you'll notice the radio bezel is slightly more lighter than the darker window surounding.

Hughezee, i'm really surprised when you said there is a fully moulded one, i've searched on the net but can't found anything. I have found earlier woodgrain bezel coupe but still they are stick-on. Which Coupe had those fully moulded one ? 98? 99? 00? If you have any picture of that moulded version please feel free to share, i'm so curious to see what it look like. Thanks

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

• Like 2

• Administrators

I got mine from a 1998 and the courtesy lock switch for drivers door handle too from the same car, haven't seen one of those in the UK since. Also, the Honda Shuttle & Odyssey RA1-RA5 had a moulded and stick on the version as well no info on that but had both on my cars over the years both had the same part number different manufacturers though.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just to add that the radio surround ( new) in my Coupe is slightly lighter than the stock gear and door capping  . However, the cappings and the gear surround are in the "dark" relatively to the radio surround which is directly under the front window and angled away from the occupants... However, still a definite difference if you look closely but not something that bothers me at least !!😃

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Hello mate, what Dave said was right in that I have found that consul gets lighter as it meets the dashboard due to sun light fade. I can’t comment on the shade due to year and batch as I haven’t had this experience.

Good luck

• Like 3

On 9/8/2019 at 4:37 PM, PTR200S said:

Took a picture of the interior of mine, best I can do.... as yes, I know it needs a clean ! been sitting around for about four months..

20190907-132919.jpg

Hey Pete, actually i think yours is matching pretty well, can't see any difference. 

Here is a picture i took of mine, i think the tint difference is pretty much visible and piss me off 😞

1568058349-20190909-152006.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 9:50 PM, hughezee said:

I see what you mean about the wood trim, but its no biggy IMO, stunning motor mate 👍

Thanks Hughezee, still too picky guy to left this as it is.. So the moulded version you have is a one woodgrain plastic piece just like the window and shifter surrounding ?

• Like 2

• Moderators

Does look to be slightly lighter although the door panel looks pretty much the same, the left side of the radio panel looks darker than the right but it appears the light from the windscreen is showing it up more.

Obvious difference in gearchange surround to the radio panel... but that gearchange panel looks darker than the door panel imo.

Just looking on tablet at moment so will have look on proper pc tonight.

• Clap Hands 1

On 9/10/2019 at 8:37 AM, PTR200S said:

Does look to be slightly lighter although the door panel looks pretty much the same, the left side of the radio panel looks darker than the right but it appears the light from the windscreen is showing it up more.

Obvious difference in gearchange surround to the radio panel... but that gearchange panel looks darker than the door panel imo.

Just looking on tablet at moment so will have look on proper pc tonight.

It's maybe the picture but my doorpanel look same as the gearchange surround, can't notice a difference. Because before install the radio surround i put it next to my doorpanels and the difference was major. Actually the gearchange is more matching than the doorpanels.

• Like 2

• Moderators

There is a different option, a bit radical but would ensure a match. Buy some real wood grain veneer, glue it on to the panel and lacquer it, then not only would it all match but would be real wood as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=wood+veneer+sheet&_frs=1

It would make yours totally unique and give you the match you're looking for! ;):D