Subscriptions & Donations ×

Pretend Wood Veneer Centre Dash Console

AhsyV6

• Founding Member

As some of you may remember I was after after the wood veener dash consul. Got to say that our founder did me proud and found me one which I snapped up pronto. It got delivered yesterday and is in excellent condition (2 tiny scratches) but needs a deep clean and polish.

In my excitement I did a littlle test piece and wanted to share with what 10mins with Menzerna 400 Heavy Cut Compound achieved. 

I used the tape to section off the test areas so you can see the swirls marks before and after.

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 5

• Founding Member

Another update....I've finished the first round of compounding and I have to say that I've had excellent results!

image.jpeg

I will finish with a finer polish and then some wax.

image.jpeg

I have realised that the top of the consul has faded slightly in the sun and gets darker as it goes down.

• Like 4

• Founding Member

Finished the OCD polishing and topped it with some Collinite Wax. Very happy with results. The wax produces some static so there's some wax dust on the close ups and a slight streak of wax left of the panel which has since been removed. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Just be warned as I will update this post with one more pic (or 5) after installing it in the coupe

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Not sure if I'll make the leap for steering wheel....tbh I don't know if I will like the consul yet but I'll give it a try. Worse case scenario I will sell it. If I did then the words "new", "like" and "brand" come to mind:)

However I have been resisting an old plan from years back for a double Din size stereo/gps/DVD in the dash. It's just a question of relocating the fog, lamp washers and height adjusting buttons. Just a thought though

• Like 2

• Founding Member

The multiplexer regulates the current etc to all the dash instruments, all I know is that they're expensive to replace and are sensitive to DIY stereo wiring....our resident audio expert could elaborate more perhaps as to the pros and cons?  ;)

• Like 2

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

The multiplexer regulates the current etc to all the dash instruments, all I know is that they're expensive to replace and are sensitive to DIY stereo wiring....our resident audio expert could elaborate more perhaps as to the pros and cons?  ;)

Geoff is right to be concerned, but fitting a genuine unit for a US spec coupe will be a straight swap, just cut the orange wire of an aftermarket loom if present, that is all ;)

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I must say the double din looks B).  Although the unit looks cool and modern and has loads of feaures, I'm intrigued as to where and how though would you relocate the headlight washer and level switches?  Plus is there plysically enough room behind?  Presumably the actual unit fits in cage which is bolted somewhere?  Be interesting if you do a 'How To' guide Ahsy.  ;)

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Of course "IF" I did decide to install one I'd inundate this forum with pics and how to's;)

i would fabricate a new panel for the switches and rerun the cabling behind the head unit. I would also use the current fixing plates to add an extension plate to hold the new cage in place. All very doable but planning required. 

As always theory is soooo easy peasy! 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I do like the look and the switch relocation shouldn't be to much of an issue, but if I went double din I would want extra features like navigation and reversing camera option built in and then it would sit to low for me, so to getting a add-on screen or flip out radio would be my route and I could leave the switches alone then ;)

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I installed it today. Wasn't sure if I would like it and to my surprise I absolutely love the look! I always wanted the black burlwood veneer for our coupes but just didn't have the guts to pay £140 from the U.S! After the detailing the consul has a very deep rich lustre. There is an unsual Matt streak on the edges by the vents. 

Also I swapped over the heater control and installed my original and how odd that at least 3 bulbs aren't working now! NOT happy! 

image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 2

• Founding Member
21 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I do like the look and the switch relocation shouldn't be to much of an issue, but if I went double din I would want extra features like navigation and reversing camera option built in and then it would sit to low for me, so to getting a add-on screen or flip out radio would be my route and I could leave the switches alone then ;)

I looked at the flip before and I do prefer the look of a fixed screen and also the flip screen covers the heater control buttons or the switches below. 

I do agree about the screen being low for gps but I could live with that. 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Coolio, looks great.  Bummer about the bulbs though....you like it hot hot hot too...32 degrees.....:o  I agree with Stu, I wouldn't want to mess around relocating the switches so I'd have one of those pop out screens and I agree, I'd want sat-nat, reversing camera and TV tuner so I can watch At Home With The Kardashians while waiting at a red light.  :lol:

• Like 3

• Founding Member
1 hour ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Coolio, looks great.  Bummer about the bulbs though....you like it hot hot hot too...32 degrees.....:o  I agree with Stu, I wouldn't want to mess around relocating the switches so I'd have one of those pop out screens and I agree, I'd want sat-nat, reversing camera and TV tuner so I can watch At Home With The Kardashians while waiting at a red light.  :lol:

It was cold today Geoff and I'm coming down with something.....not a good combo! 

Ps I like having my seats on full heat too! 

• Like 1