Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Accord Coupe Fuel Consumption "MPG"

hughezee

• Site Subscriber’s

As far as I can see everyone contributing to this thread is driving a V6 so I thought I'd add my experience of a 2.0. The worst I've seen is about 28. On the whole I am getting around 32. Mostly this is a combination of 10 mile commuting trips and longer journeys, the 28 will have been mostly the shorter journeys. Most of the time I have roof bars on the car, and usually a canoe on the longer trips and I am sure it takes 2-3 mpg off my average. The best I've seen is 38 and that was entirely longer journeys without the roof bars. I'm envious of Stu and his consumption figures in a V6! 

I use BP Ultimate since having trouble with the "hot start" problem which it seemed to mask most of the time. It seems to improve consumption by between 1 & 2 mpg which isn't enough to offset the extra cost, but there is enhanced performance and better general engine health to add into the equation. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

The best mpg I've got so far is 350 miles off a full tank (56 litres). Exactly 10% (35 miles of town driving) and 90% motorway.

This is after several ATF changes and a recent oil change to the recommended S&A mineral oil. Also new air filter.

Poor compared to others.

Of course could be due to my heavy foot although I did conciously try go easy. Couldnt resist temptation to floor it a few times though tbh.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Administrators

Have you had your engine & transmission ECU(s) scanned or reset as this could reveal a slow responding lambda sensor which will affect the economy and a reset will settle things down overall and not forgetting some decent spark plugs, new inline fuel filter?

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, kag8 said:

The best mpg I've got so far is 350 miles off a full tank (56 litres). Exactly 10% (35 miles of town driving) and 90% motorway.

This is after several ATF changes and a recent oil change to the recommended S&A mineral oil. Also new air filter.

Poor compared to others.

Of course could be due to my heavy foot although I did conciously try go easy. Couldnt resist temptation to floor it a few times though tbh.

Wouldn't sniff at that sort of mpg, 28.5 which is a huge improvement over your 20mpg you had early on:D

42% increase , a win I would say !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have only ever left battery disconnected over night. I didn't notice anything come from it.

I haven't changed the plugs but the guy I bought it from had done them very recently also the inline filter. I saw the original receipt. I remember cross checking the part number on invoice and it checked out to the correct one.

I need to come see you @hughezee!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Wouldn't sniff at that sort of mpg, 28.5 which is a huge improvement over your 20mpg you had early on:D

42% increase , a win I would say !

Haha yes I was silently celebrating when I saw the 350mile clock in. I think the 20mpg I was getting earlier was more of town driving and of course car was new to me so was still driving like a lunatic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, kag8 said:

Haha yes I was silently celebrating when I saw the mpg. I think the 20mpg I was getting earlier was more of town driving and of course car was new to me so was still driving like a lunatic.

Of course you could lay off the harsh acceleration...... but there is no fun it that is there :P :lol:

Have to say I don't bother checking the mpg much/ constitently,,,, certainly never bother filling the tank up to the top unless I am actually checking the mpg.... There is no point in carting around a load of weight you don't need.... try filling a 20 litre fuel can and measuring the weight !!

In the same way, my boot is always empty of sh1te and only used when I need to carry stuff from one place to another.

No extraneous crap inside the car either !:P

Also, driving around with the windows open at 35/40 mph and above is a real drag on the car, better with them up and the aircon on...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Have to say I don't bother checking the mpg much/ constitently,,,, certainly never bother filling the tank up to the top unless I am actually checking the mpg

Yeah I just did it to check results of all my efforts to take care of the car and because I was doing loads of motorway miles. Hate having to top up at services along motorways. Rip offs.

21 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

try filling a 20 litre fuel can and measuring the weight !!

Id guess it would be 20kg? :)

22 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

In the same way, my boot is always empty of sh1te and only used when I need to carry stuff from one place to another.

Unfortunately I have to always have a push chair and baby stuff in my boot :( so it gets alot of use. Thankfuly its a massive boot! Cant imagine how I woul have fit half thr stuff I have done sometimes if I had a...prelude!

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, kag8 said:

Thankfuly its a massive boot!

This is the problem!......I have just picked up a set of ladders, several boxes and few odds and sods which I expected to have to put some inside the car... not a bit of it ! all went in the boot !:D 

BTW I had a couple of preludes, one was the 2.2 vtec rear steer jobbie, had a reasonable size boot but the Coupe is in a different league!

... wonder how much weight you are carrying around?? Plus the full fuel tanks for testing, and how that stacks up on fuel consumption?

1mpg? 2mpg? can't see it being much more than that but that's just my opinion not very scientific !

6 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

BTW I had a couple of preludes, one was the 2.2 vtec rear steer jobbie, had a reasonable size boot but the Coupe is in a different league!

... wonder how much weight you are carrying around?? Plus the full fuel tanks for testing, and how that stacks up on fuel consumption?

The coupe is soo long. When i reverse park at work people have to walk around my car lol as it takes up so much of he footpath.

I dare say the boot can fit more than my 7th gen accord could. That boot was similar size but it had a large cage to protect the speakers or something which prevented suitcases from sitting upright.

On this particular round trip. I had a full tank. 3 adults (including myself), toddler in his csr seat. In the boot I had the Push chair (compact but long). 1 large suitcase weighing approx 20kg. 1 medium suitcase weighing at least 15kg and another medium one squeezed in not filled up so about 10kg. Then a small suitcase weighing about 8kg behind driver seat on the rear passenger footwell.

Windows slightly open. Sometimes sunroof tilted if not too noisy.

I have lowered the front of my car but the back too dropped down with all that weight. Looked awesome haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kag8 said:

On this particular round trip. I had a full tank. 3 adults (including myself), toddler in his csr seat. In the boot I had the Push chair (compact but long). 1 large suitcase weighing approx 20kg. 1 medium suitcase weighing at least 15kg and another medium one squeezed in not filled up so about 10kg. Then a small suitcase weighing about 8kg behind driver seat on the rear passenger footwell.

Erm, think that may have contributed to a slightly lower figure on the fuel consumption stakes:D:lol::P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, kag8 said:

I wrongly inferred that 1 litre equals 1kg. I think its 1 litre of water thats 1kg?

That's right, 1L of water is 1kg, 1L of petrol is about 750-800g (closer to 800g though) and 1L of LPG is about 500g. You're thinking now of the weight saving of filling an LPG car up against a petrol one aren't you? The tank weighs 15-20kg on it's own so no weight saving to be had! :lol:

4 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

You're thinking now of the weight saving of filling an LPG car up against a petrol one aren't you? The tank weighs 15-20kg on it's own so no weight saving to be had! :lol:

Haha you read my mind. I wouldn't fit an LPG system to the coupe though. Too expensive initial cost. I do have LPG LS400 on my ebay watch list though!

• Moderators

Depends whether you go for a completely new install or a DIY basis with either a new kit or a secondhand kit. If you go secondhand there will still be a few bits to buy new but well worth the cost saving.

I recently bought a Diego G3 based full kit (removed from a 3.0 V6 Audi) complete with tank for about £80 - yes there are bits i'll be buying new but i've got the expensive stuff in the kit that should all work and be safe. Obviously the ECU is the most expensive bit but they're about £160 and then it's the injectors and/or reducer (aka vapouriser on "single point" systems) followed by the tank. Things like the filler are best bought new either way, same goes for all the pipework, clips etc.

Last one i did (single point system on my Coupé) cost me less than £300 all in and i've easily saved that and more. It returns about 25mpg on gas (because of the calorific value of LPG Vs petrol that equates to about 33mpg on petrol) and thanks to the low cost of LPG, that would be like getting 50-60mpg on petrol.

Also last year i bought a Zavoli SGi (Sequential Gas injection - the Diego based system is also SGi) that was originally intended for my Sterling but will now go on my Volvo, with the Diego going on the Sterling. I'll then look out for another SGi system to upgrade the Coupé with.

There's a lot of "badge engineering" happening in the LPG world - the Zavoli is better known as an AEB King or sometimes a Romano and the Diego G3 is also better known as a Stag 300-6, all of which are well-known and in theor own way, respected systems.

Nearly forgot - a friend brought a Prins system to me a couple of weeks back as it came from an XJ40 that he stuffed through his dads garage wall. They never got the chance to prove the Prins system on the car as the car was bought with a fault (which is what he was trying to fix when the garage got in the way!) so it's a bit of an unknown quantity but is said to work. My Coupé will be the test mule!

It can as you can see be very cost effective to use secondhand bits, even if only to give you a few months of cheap motoring until something goes wrong. Then you'll have a bit of spare cash to buy the bits needed to bring it back up to a better standard and carry on saving.

Usually they're fairly reliable and things tend to give a bit of warning before giving up the ghost and you can always switch back to petrol if there is a problem, or even just run out of gas! ;):D

• Like 1

How did the garage get in the way of the car? Lol. Seems like an unfortunate but funny story behind that haha

Got the message. @Laird_Scoobyis the man for lpg systems!

Thinking back to when I first reported 20mpg. Its really not that unreasonable for the sort of short frequent trips I take. Man I could walk to some places lol.

Overall I do believe doing the regular maintenance pays off. ATF being the most important imo. Makes the car nicer to drive too so you can just drive it relaxed. So many times people say I take my time i.e driving slow. But most times there is no need to speed up to end up at a red light 200m down the road!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, kag8 said:

How did the garage get in the way of the car? Lol. Seems like an unfortunate but funny story behind that haha

I'm not entirely sure. I have an idea it was in "D" and he prodded the loud pedal a bit too sharply! :lol: Two tonnes of Jag propelled forward at a rate of knots by a 4.0L, 250 ish bhp engine doesn't take prisoners of garage walls, just demolishes them! :lol:

I'm still learning on LPG stuff but have learned a lot. So much of it "crosses over" from petrol, it's just a matter of getting your head round some of the stuff. That's part of the reason my Coupé got a single point system to start with. It's the LPG equivalent of a carburettor system and even has mixture screws to adjust. The mixer itself is basically a big jet like a carburettor jet fitted to the throttle body so once it's set up on idle and at a high rpm the system does the rest - nice and simple! :P

The SGi is a bit more complicated in one way but simpler in another. It actually takes its signals from the OE injector wiring, processes them in the ECU and then fires the gas injectors. However there needs to be a correction factor, usually called a multiplier to make sure the right amount of gas is injected for the conditions. However because it follows the OE fuel map much more closely things like VTEC and on mine, the variable length induction system are dealt with much more easily than with the simple mixer system that can throw up a fault code or two at times when i'm giving it the beans! :o

27 minutes ago, kag8 said:

regular maintenance pays off

Most definitely! :D

27 minutes ago, kag8 said:

there is no need to speed up to end up at a red light 200m down the road!

Very true - Advanced Driving techniques all help economy too. If the light is green and you're 200m away, chances are it's going to be red or at least amber by the time you get there so you'll have to stop. If it's red and goes amber then green as you approach there's no need to stop at all - if you had sped up as you approached it might still be red when you get there so you'd have to stop and wait :wacko::rolleyes: - approach without altering your speed and there's a good chance it will be green (just) when you get there! Bonus! ;):D

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

Just revisiting this thread following lots of poor MPG complaints from new customers and something discussed on the previous incarnation of this topic was a possibility of a faulty thermostat and it's probably one of the biggest MPG killers, especially this time of year. The thermostat is all to often never replaced unless it gets stuck closed which is rare, they are much more likely to fatigue and become weak which doesn't allow your engine to maintain an efficient operating temperature.

So if you haven't already replaced yours already treat yourself to one today. ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators

I blame the manufacturers - in almost every handbook/Owners Manual it says something along the lines of "the needle should be between the "C" and "H" marks under normal conditions".

NO!!!!

It should rest about the halfway position once the engine is hot, usually after about 5 minutes in summer and 10-15 in winter. If it doesn't and drops quickly when up to motorway speeds or going downhill on a trailing throttle then the 'stat almost certainly needs renewing. You'll also get much better heater output with a new 'stat as well, not to mention economy, smoothness, responsiveness and power. ;):D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I blame the manufacturers - in almost every handbook/Owners Manual it says something along the lines of "the needle should be between the "C" and "H" marks under normal conditions".

NO!!!!

It should rest about the halfway position once the engine is hot, usually after about 5 minutes in summer and 10-15 in winter. If it doesn't and drops quickly when up to motorway speeds or going downhill on a trailing throttle then the 'stat almost certainly needs renewing. You'll also get much better heater output with a new 'stat as well, not to mention economy, smoothness, responsiveness and power. ;):D

A couple of months ago, I began to notice intermittent fluctuations in temperature output from the heater when on a long journey.  The temperature output seemed to be getting cooler (counteracted by turning up the temperature on the dial), but the coolant temp guage didn't go down.  The problem seems to have stabilised (gone away) and no other adverse effects have been spotted, so I put it down to the outside air temperature, or a fault with the AC thermostat (whatever or wherever it is)?

Anybody else ever had trouble with the AC thermostat?

• Moderators

Check your coolant level! It sounds as if you had a small air lock and it's cleared so you could now be low on coolant.

It could of course be the thermistor that controls interior temperature, i'm not sure where it is on your gen Coupé but they need periodic vaccuming to keep the dust off or they end up giving wild temperature fluctuations. They also fluctuate when the thermistor is on its last legs. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

:unsure: it's not common on the accord but anything is possible especially with age, also did you replace the thermostat and coolant as suggested when you mentioned you had a minor coolant leak, it was a little while back?

12 minutes ago, welland99 said:

The problem seems to have stabilised (gone away) and no other adverse effects have been spotted, so I put it down to the outside air temperature, or a fault with the AC thermostat (whatever or wherever it is)?

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

Annoyance of the day today !

People insisting their car is really economical by quoting the fact they get X miles out of the tankfull and comparing it with another cars tankfull miles.

Er, excuse me, what possible relevance is that ?.....If car A has a 70 litre tank and car B has a 60 litre tank....  

Get into a conversation with someone on actual mpg and invariably the comparison is *well mine does 250 miles to the tank*  arrrgggghhh ! ?

• grrrr 1