Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Accord Coupe Fuel Consumption "MPG"

hughezee

• Administrators

These are the Honda Test figures for the USA built Accord Coupe covering 2.0L-3.0L models 

Accord Coupe 2.0i ES (Manual)

Urban             23.0 mpg

Extra Urban    39.2 mpg

Combined       31.0 mpg

Accord Coupe 2.0i ES (Automatic)

Urban             20.2 mpg

Extra Urban    37.2 mpg

Combined       28.2 mpg

Accord Coupe 3.0i V6 (Automatic)

Urban             18.6 mpg

Extra Urban    34.4 mpg

Combined       26.2 mpg

Remember these are a guideline and higher miles per gallon are possible with the introduction of better fuels an lubricants since this publication and my Accord V6 does a respectable 32+ mpg whilst still having fun  B)

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • Founding Member

I have just completed 293.3 miles on 57.39 Ltr of Essos Supreme Unleaded which I understand to be 12.62 gallons? This consists of combined driving in inner London roads and dual carriageway driving at 60mph average. 

This equates to 23.24 mpg and I sooooo hope my calculations are way out as the fuel consumption is the only reason I question owning this coupe! I have just filled up with 59.75 Ltr of Supreme again and I appreciate that the car has got to get "used" to the higher RON fuel.....i need to find an improvement soon otherwise I might just start selling the car off for parts......not quite that bad yet! 
I am about 120 miles away from my 800mile cycle since having my Lambda sensor swapped and gearbox reset and hope that I might start to see a change. 

• Founding Member

You should find it improves bit by bit. I use Shell V Power and average about 350 miles per tank with mixed driving. On a long motorway run, it's about 400-420 miles. I am extremely confident that changing the engine oil every 3 months (approx 3000) miles, has an extremely big bearing on this. I think 6 months is far too long to leave it and makes for inconsistent fuel consumption. Also, avoid switching to any other brand of fuel, or lower RON rating. Hope this input helps ;)

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Thanks mate.

i know it's a slow process and perseverance is the name of the game but I can't help thinking there is something in particular wrong with my car. 

In the meantime I'll keep running the Esso Supreme  petrol.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

There is - you're stifling it by driving in inner-city London! Seriously, the extra pollution there has an effect on economy as you're not burning clean air with your fuel so it gives a less complete and efficient burn of the fuel you're using. It's all those poxy diseasels polluting it!

Also if the London driving philosophy if "see a gap and boot it" still applies that certainly won't help. ;) :lol;

If there's a way to try not using it round the city for a while, just on the open roads it could be worth trying, if only to prove the point the car is ok and it's the locality that's causing the problem.

Alternatively you could consider converting to LPG, with an average of about 50-53p/L it would save a fair bit!

http://filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

That should take you to the map page, type London into the "Search for an area" box and hit search. The prices round the area will then show on the map.

• Founding Member
11 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

There is - you're stifling it by driving in inner-city London! Seriously, the extra pollution there has an effect on economy as you're not burning clean air with your fuel so it gives a less complete and efficient burn of the fuel you're using. It's all those poxy diseasels polluting it!

Also if the London driving philosophy if "see a gap and boot it" still applies that certainly won't help. ;) :lol;

If there's a way to try not using it round the city for a while, just on the open roads it could be worth trying, if only to prove the point the car is ok and it's the locality that's causing the problem.

Alternatively you could consider converting to LPG, with an average of about 50-53p/L it would save a fair bit!

http://filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

That should take you to the map page, type London into the "Search for an area" box and hit search. The prices round the area will then show on the map.

Thanks mate, I often think that it's London and the start and stop driving. However I travel from south to North London  every week via dual carriageways on which I do between 50-70mph. Also I can't help but remember the fact that my previous 3.0 coupe which I had from 42k-102k did more mileage per tank. I don't have figures but I just know.

With all that said your idea on the long runs only is a very good idea. 

What you said about pollution.....do you think my engine could be affected more so now that I'm going to install a cold air intake with a cone filter (identical to Charles)? 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Every car is different, even if mechanically identical. The best economy i've had out of my 827 coupé so far is about 35mpg, compare that to 43mpg from my (mechanically identical allegedly) 827 Sterling. Those are the peak figures i've had, normal running about i get about 26-30mpg from the coupé and about 28-32 from the Sterling.

However, the coupé always struggled on the emissions for the MoT and after replacing the Lambda sensors and washing the cat out, it flew through with the cleanest result i've ever seen on a cat-equipped car - my non-cat, mechanical injection Volvo matched it.

I'm going to be interested to see if the economy improves now, power and response certainly has. It probably won't make much difference for a couple of weeks as i'll be "playing" :D but after that i'll take a bit more notice and see if there's an improvement.

If so, maybe you could treat your coupé to a new pair of Lambda sensors to see if that improves matters. I know on my Jeep renewing the Lambda sensor every 10 years is a service item and in some states of the USA, there is an emissions timer that counts the mileage and time down to renewal time. That way if it reaches the mileage before the time, it puts a light on the dash to tell you to get it changed and the emission timer reset.

Do you go through the Congestion Charge Zone (LEZ?) much Ahsy? I know at one point LPG vehicles were exempt from the Congestion Charge and probably still are - they need to be on the LPG register though and sadly my Jeep isn't so i had to pay a tenner when i was last in London about 6 months ago. That also might bear fruit so you'd be saving two ways - cheap fuel and no Congestion Charge.

• Like 1

• Founding Member
13 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Every car is different, even if mechanically identical. The best economy i've had out of my 827 coupé so far is about 35mpg, compare that to 43mpg from my (mechanically identical allegedly) 827 Sterling. Those are the peak figures i've had, normal running about i get about 26-30mpg from the coupé and about 28-32 from the Sterling.

However, the coupé always struggled on the emissions for the MoT and after replacing the Lambda sensors and washing the cat out, it flew through with the cleanest result i've ever seen on a cat-equipped car - my non-cat, mechanical injection Volvo matched it.

I'm going to be interested to see if the economy improves now, power and response certainly has. It probably won't make much difference for a couple of weeks as i'll be "playing" :D but after that i'll take a bit more notice and see if there's an improvement.

If so, maybe you could treat your coupé to a new pair of Lambda sensors to see if that improves matters. I know on my Jeep renewing the Lambda sensor every 10 years is a service item and in some states of the USA, there is an emissions timer that counts the mileage and time down to renewal time. That way if it reaches the mileage before the time, it puts a light on the dash to tell you to get it changed and the emission timer reset.

Do you go through the Congestion Charge Zone (LEZ?) much Ahsy? I know at one point LPG vehicles were exempt from the Congestion Charge and probably still are - they need to be on the LPG register though and sadly my Jeep isn't so i had to pay a tenner when i was last in London about 6 months ago. That also might bear fruit so you'd be saving two ways - cheap fuel and no Congestion Charge.

I had my lambda sensor swapped with one from stus Project break which he felt was in better condition than mine. I may just invest new ones. 

As for the congestion charge...I live 3 miles away from Tower Bridge and on crossing over I veer to the right of the CC zone. I can't remember the last time I entered during active periods. I regularly travel inside the zone outside the active periods. 

Ill check my emissions on my MOT but from memory get complimented on it from my MOT station.This will be interesting as I have a free MOT with my insurance via Kwik Fit. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'd ignore the Kwik-Fit MoT and go to your normal place - almost guaranteed to fail if it's free and then they give you a mahoosive quote to rectify the "problems". Also having known many horror stories about Fik-Twit including putting half the wheel nuts on the wrong way round and the other half correctly (yes, seriously, Ford Probe, steel wheels, tapered nuts, one of the depots in Norwich) and another one trying to sell me new discs because they had turned blue! They were brand new discs already and the only reason they turned blue when the pratt stood in front of them was his blue overalls! :blink::rolleyes: Also had one of their depots tell me my car didn't exist, had never existed and couldn't exist because it wasn't on their list!

Does the J30 not have a Lambda per bank like the C27 then? Or do you mean the post-cat Lambda? Thankfully none of my little fleet have post-cat Lambdas or OBD-II, missed out with my Jeep by about a year or two and the 827s never got OBD-II thankfully.

Have to admit, i didn't realise there was an active and inactive period for the CC - i thought it was flat rate, if you poked a bumper corner into it then you had to pay.

• Administrators

The Pre CAT lambda had failed on the pre heater circuit and was slow flagging slow response on your car Ahsy (fault codes present) the one on project break was in much better health and the codes went without a reset, but I did a full reset anyway. ;)

• Like 2

• Founding Member
On 26 March 2016 at 0:10 AM, AhsyV6 said:

I have just completed 293.3 miles on 57.39 Ltr of Essos Supreme Unleaded which I understand to be 12.62 gallons? This consists of combined driving in inner London roads and dual carriageway driving at 60mph average. 

This equates to 23.24 mpg and I sooooo hope my calculations are way out as the fuel consumption is the only reason I question owning this coupe! I have just filled up with 59.75 Ltr of Supreme again and I appreciate that the car has got to get "used" to the higher RON fuel.....i need to find an improvement soon otherwise I might just start selling the car off for parts......not quite that bad yet! 
I am about 120 miles away from my 800mile cycle since having my Lambda sensor swapped and gearbox reset and hope that I might start to see a change. 

I have just filled up again after fininishing the previous 59.75 litres and I completed........wait for it........ 235.8 miles......18.13 mpg!!! Now I would also like to say that I did drive my coupe VERY HARD a "few" times with this tank of petroleum. I kind of expected it to be low but not this low.

I have just filled up with 59.53 litres of Esso Supreme again but have decided to try my utmost to stay below 2000 rpm and 60mph(which takes me slightly over 2000rpm) on this tank and see what I get out of it. My only concern is that I want to install my cold air intake which may need some revving to appreciate the new dulcet tones. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's the acceleration that always kills economy i've found. If you leave every set of lights like Lewis Hamilton leaving the start line you'll get poor economy, usually sustained high speed (as long as it's a steady speed) driving gives better mpg than accelerating. Also it doesn't take many "pedal to the metal" starts to hammer the average down.

Even so, 235.8 miles on 59.53L of fuel is a bit heavy - that's in the same territory as my Jeep when i drive it "digitally" ;):D

• Founding Member

I haven't got a clue what mine does....I just enjoy driving it whether it's stop-start on the daily drive to and from work or at the weekend when I try to drive a bit more enthusiatically.  If you become obsessed with MPG then you won't enjoy driving it as much I think.  Stick some V Power in, drive it how the hell you feel like driving it and when the orange low fuel light comes on, buy some more fuel.  Repeat.  Beep Beep.  ;)

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Exactly Stu.  Our engines are 3.0L....we don't drive or own them to see if we can squeeze the maximum MPG out of them, they'll always be low MPG and being obsessed with a few MPG here and a few MPG there detracts from the fun I think....so my philosophy is don't worry about economy.....drive refined on the way to work and back, stop start all the way pretty much, perhaps reach 30 MPH is you're lucky....then weekends go out and have a spirited drive, hit the motorway, get up to 69.9 MPH for a few miles, pull off the sliproad and give it some beans....get the VTEC working....then refill and repeat.  Honda's are meant to be driven and I'm sure they love it too, gets all the fluids pumping....cue Ooo Errr Dave.  :lol:

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hell, yeah! Mine might not be 3.0 VTEC but it still shows a clean pair of boots to the Autobahnstormer Brigade in their Teutonic Euroblobs! Like when i came out of Sainsburys a couple of hours ago, onto a roundabout and then the A11 closely followed by a black Merc giving it the beans. Let me rephrase that - he was trying to. I just floored it in S4 and left him struggling asthmatically to gain speed! Not sure if it was an E or S Class but quite a big beast so should have had some grunt under the front.

Great fun though! :lol:

• Like 2