Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe CG2-CG4 Correct Headlight Bulbs "REPLACE"

hughezee

• 10 months later...

Hi....

To follow on from my previous thread I got around to fitting the new Bulbs I bought. A couple of days ago I sprayed Penetrating Oil on Fittings so they all twisted off nice and easy.

But I thought that my right Headlight was a bit 'off' so I wasn't surprised to find what I did - never quite seen a Bulb like it before...??? And not only that, but quite different in shape/size aswell..!! See below:

349xCzB.jpg

Anyway, fitted the new Bulbs and will have to see what they look like at night - at least by the looks of things they match the Sidelights now... :D:D 

Seeya....... ;)

• Moderators

Nice one Bill! You know when there's a spot of oil in the oven and it burns? Sometimes it blows up like a balloon when it burns, this is exactly what's happened on the bulb. Occasionally it makes the glass so hot in that area it melts enough for the heat inside to "blow" the glass into the new shape. Itseemsto be a lot more common these days, perhaps they're using thinner glass to keep costs down. :rolleyes::huh::D

• 1 month later...

I was just reading through this thread again and noticed a couple of anomalies.

First is that the Lower Wattage, ie 55watt is the Dipped Beam and the 60watt is for the High Beam. I've noticed this has been described the other way around.

The other thing I have come across is the short life-span of the Osram Nightbreakers. Some as short as a couple of months! And this has been a common complaint. Maybe they have rectified the issue but I know a lot of people were getting quite peeved off because once fitted there is NO RETURN...!

And if you want the absolute best and have very deep pockets, buy PIAA Bulbs.... ;)

Me, I buy these: 8 quid odd for 2.   sW23dyA.jpg

H9hTXrA.jpg

Nice as they match my Super Sidelights.. :D:D 

• Moderators
On 1/16/2017 at 2:50 PM, Mangoman said:

I was just reading through this thread again and noticed a couple of anomalies.

First is that the Lower Wattage, ie 55watt is the Dipped Beam and the 60watt is for the High Beam. I've noticed this has been described the other way around.

The other thing I have come across is the short life-span of the Osram Nightbreakers. Some as short as a couple of months! And this has been a common complaint. Maybe they have rectified the issue but I know a lot of people were getting quite peeved off because once fitted there is NO RETURN...!

And if you want the absolute best and have very deep pockets, buy PIAA Bulbs.... ;)

Me, I buy these: 8 quid odd for 2.   http://i.imgur.com/sW23dyA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H9hTXrA.jpg

Nice as they match my Super Sidelights.. :D:D 

The dipped beam should be the 60W filament Bill as you lose a lot of brightness because of the dipping action of the reflector/lens etc in the headlamp. That's why most single filament bulbs (originally developed for driving lights, fog lights etc) are usually 55W as the lens/reflector assembly is that much more efficient.

These days i'm hooked on LED bulbs and having put them up against Nightbeakers i know they perform better and definitely last longer! Was talking to one of the local Police one night and they were complaining about the Nightbreakers because they kept blowing every couple of months.

The bulbs you use, the "generic ebay Xenon look cheapies" are remarkably brilliant (in more ways than one!) for the money. I ran them for several years before finding the LED bulbs and to be honest, they give the Nightbreakers a good run for the money.

• Administrators

Totally agree with the night breaker longevity, but all the ones I've purchased from ECP have been rubbish and the ones from powerbulbs always lasted well :wacko: Regards the HB4's I went for some decent LED's http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/cree-leds/headlamp-cree-led/4th-generation-cree-led-kits/hb4-9006-cree-led-headlight-kit-g4  as the fleabay jobbies have left me red faced too many times :angry::angry: and I can never find the spec I'm after either :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Moderators

Agreed on the ebay stuff, most of it is poop, i've tested several now and only one from ebay has been ok which is why i go for these now :

http://www.powerfuluk.com/h4-led-4000-lm-headlight-bulbs-range-rover-p38-white-pair.html

Purely for interest, the only ebay ones that have worked ok were these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/96W-12000LM-H4-Hi-Lo-Philips-LED-Headlight-Car-Conversion-Bulb-Beam-6000K-KIT-/152039032141?hash=item23663b854d:g:ApEAAOSwR5dXS-36

Bought a set for the Volvo and to be honest, they were pretty poor in it, no definite beam pattern, poor beam etc so i bought a set of the PowerfulUK ones for it instead. Thinking i was going to have to buy a third set for the Coupé, i decided to give the ebay ones a try in the Coupé and lo & behold, let there be light and there was with a perfect beam pattern, excellent beam etc.

The big thing seems to be to find a set with the LEDs in as close a configuration to the original filament in the halogen bulb they're replacing. Not always easy admittedly but they are out there and usually they're the more expensive ones. That said after wasting money on the cheap ones, it's cheaper in the long run to buy the expensive ones to start with! ;):D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/26/2015 at 3:23 PM, hughezee said:

Power bulbs 25% OFF if anybody fancy's an upgrade over the standard 98-02 coupe bulbs  :)  project purple haze had some OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited HB3 and they looked pretty good ;)

Main/High Beam:  http://www.powerbulbs.com/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/hb3-9005

Dipped/Low Beam: http://www.powerbulbs.com/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/hb4-9006

Happy motoring folks B)

choices, choices... from my estimation the night breakers have been in since the last owner changed them around 2016/17 which is fair I reckon.
Had a look at the PIAA(?) also. Anyone tried these?

• Like 3

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

choices, choices... from my estimation the night breakers have been in since the last owner changed them around 2016/17 which is fair I reckon.
Had a look at the PIAA(?) also. Anyone tried these?

No not had those but "only " !!  3900 k too.

Those bad boy philips diamond vision with 5000k ,look good but " off road only " ahem !!

• Clap Hands 1

Cheer's, unfortunately on top of my crump week I'm on works computer instead of handy phone (usb socket has let go) and I can't see any pics due to some security or something no doubt.

I've decided to shop local and support the little man in these tough times, Moto save in Leyland have the nightbreaker lasers in stock for only £5 more than online. So they'll be in my hand in the morning. Any other time of the year I'm sure the 2 day delivery will happen and temptation, but not Christmas week with post havoc and the shortest days (of light, happy solstice by the way) when I need them most.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 2

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

happy solstice by the way

Happy Solstice to you too! :D

Don't blame you supporting your local "man in the shop" - what are we going to do if t'internet sales obliterate him and his ilk? Serious question by the way! When we need something in a hurry, we all go local and don't mind spending a bit more. If we combine that with something like a food shopping trip, it's only cost us the price difference (no petrol, parking fees or whatever else) and for that convenience we're happy to pay.

What if there's an EMP strike? Highly possible as the sun is waking up again at the moment and there are likely to be solar flares which can cause EMP strikes. Only takes the right EMP strike in the right master server somewhere on the wiblly-wobbly-web and we're all snookered!

Then we'll be glad to pay that extra!

• Like 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

Cheer's, unfortunately on top of my crump week I'm on works computer instead of handy phone (usb socket has let go) and I can't see any pics due to some security or something no doubt.

I've decided to shop local and support the little man in these tough times, Moto save in Leyland have the nightbreaker lasers in stock for only £5 more than online. So they'll be in my hand in the morning. Any other time of the year I'm sure the 2 day delivery will happen and temptation, but not Christmas week with post havoc and the shortest days (of light, happy solstice by the way) when I need them most.

Motosave sounds good, unfortunately I couldn't find anyone local for HID but the H4 for the Jazz were available in Walmer Bridge bicycle shop of all places !!!

trouble was I only discovered it after I bought the H4 from upgrade bulbs (power bulbs) .....bugger !!!! And they were the same price!

Where is motosave ??

Ever used RTG in Tuer st ?

• Like 1

It's our side of Leyland just off the cross road that AFL motor super store is on. Old school little shop with boxes piled behind the back store room. Think its a father and son business https://www.motosaveleyland.co.uk/ very handy for when you break something unintentionally at the weekend. AFL is ok too, it's big and good for a wander around too. Although they've cut back from all the big shiny things that used to dec the walls and make you go oooh.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Speaking of bulbs, i still have a pair of HB3 and HB4 philips white vision never used. In fact i just opened the HB4 to mount and test and directly removed them, just prefer my standard bulb color. If anyone is interested i can let go both pair for 30 euro.

• Like 2