Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Accord Coupe Owner

dangrant77

Hi guys,

I've just bought a '00 Honda Accord Coupe with only 30,000 miles on the clock.

The car is in great condition throughout, and I plan on undersealing it and storing it over the winter months.

Any advice on what parts to look to start sourcing as a back up? I've seen several people saying parts are an issue with this car, however I know this vehicle was made in America and seems to have quite a lot of parts available through sites like RockAuto, so it'll be interesting to know what you guys do in this department.

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Dan

• Like 5

• Administrators

Hi and welcome to the club, I am guessing this is a silver one we've recently discussed on the site, as low mileage examples are rare and especially the 2.0 Manual. Parts aren't too much of an issue if it ever needs anything, but preventive things go a long way e.g. manual gearbox oil and a timing belt & water pump would be my highest priority.

Additionally, feel free to share any pictures in the club GALLERY using links from an external host, or you can SUBSCRIBE to the site and you can upload directly.

You can email them to me direct @ hughezee@live.co.uk

• Like 3

Hi mate. Yes that's correct it is the silver one! I will post some photos later this evening and email them over to you, it's in lovely condition overall and I intend to keep it that way for as long as possible.

I believe the timing belt and water pump were done by the previous owner in 2020 which is a nice surprise. 

In terms of where to find the parts for these, would you recommend a site like RockAuto or are there better places to source them? I'm actually considering buying some parts now and storing them as I really want to keep this car long term.

Also, I believe you might be the gentleman I purchased a wooden fascia from for the accord coupe this morning, if so, small world!!

Dan

• Like 4

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, dangrant77 said:

I believe the timing belt and water pump were done by the previous owner in 2020 which is a nice surprise.

23 minutes ago, dangrant77 said:

In terms of where to find the parts for these, would you recommend a site like RockAuto or are there better places to source them? I'm actually considering buying some parts now and storing them as I really want to keep this car long term.

Yeah, that's great hear and RockAuto are a good source for parts, but the USA spec 2.3 model doesn't share the same Brakes or Fuel system as its UK version and the 1998-2002 UK Accord Hatch & Saloon model doesn't share really anything with USA built coupes.

31 minutes ago, dangrant77 said:

Also, I believe you might be the gentleman I purchased a wooden fascia from for the accord coupe this morning, if so, small world!!

liar-liar-comedy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, dangrant77 said:

I assume then that brakes and fuel system parts generally have to be sourced via a breaker?

Guess it depends on what you might need e.g. fuel lines are not available from Honda UK anymore, but still can be made by garages.😉

• Like 3

Thanks a lot!! When I get time I need to take a look at your cars too, great to be part of such a small friendly community.

My car is in the garage today for a check up, and I've just had a call saying everything looks great throughout. 

It'll be getting a custom dual exit exhaust system fitted next week, so I'll be sure to create a new post with some before and after shots when it's done.

• Like 5

• Administrators
11 hours ago, dangrant77 said:

It'll be getting a custom dual exit exhaust system fitted next week, so I'll be sure to create a new post with some before and after shots when it's done.

I would be very careful about modifying the exhaust as the F series engine is super sensitive to back pressure. I would avoid exhaust places offering more free-flowing exhausts as it will rob the car of power and it will very likely stall regularly. 👌 My suggestion would be just to copy its current system exactly as it is 👉 assuming it is still the original one. 🤔

Additionally, if you're going for a duplex system (twin exits) I would half the size of the rear silencers to balance it out.🤞

• Like 3

Ah, I was not aware of this, thank you for the heads up!

The plan currently is a resonated catback dual exit system, so nothing too major, however I will give the place I'm taking it a call to see if they're aware of this.

The company I'm using (https://www.jpexhausts.co.uk/) do fantastic work and had made a catback on my previous car, but I'll still check in with them regardless.

Thanks 

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
29 minutes ago, dangrant77 said:

Quick update on the exhaust front - i've decided to cancel the booking and keep the stock exhaust on, last thing I want to do is effect the car negatively. More money saved for parts I suppose!

Welcome! Might be a good call keeping stock. I have an aftermarket cat on mine, which visually looks smaller than the stock one. Previous owner had the original stolen. However, while it passes the emissions test, the CO seems to run higher at about 0.28% at fast idle, which is close to the max at 0.30. Other guys here running stock exhausts are running much lower. 

Where are you based? Most seem to be up t'north......I'm in Devon. Ohhh Arrrrre!

• Like 3

• Administrators
7 hours ago, dangrant77 said:

Quick update on the exhaust front - i've decided to cancel the booking and keep the stock exhaust on, last thing I want to do is effect the car negatively. More money saved for parts I suppose!

Sorry to hear I've chucked a spanner in the works, but if you ever got stuck the UK CH7 accord exhaust will fit. 😉 There are a few aftermarket CAT backs available and with a few minor tweaks and no performance issues. 👍

• Like 2

Thank you Stu, good to know!!

Quick update on the car, I have her a thorough clean and wax last weekend so it's looking great now, as well as removing the number plate plinth from the front as I wasn't a big fan  (struggling to figure out how to upload photos to the forum however 😂).

I've also fitted the wooden fascia that you kindly sold to me, which looks fantastic. I've ordered a Type-V accord saloon steering wheel which I'm fairly certain will fit after looking over the part numbers in detail, but we'll see..

Other than that i've mainly just been showing family and friends the car who absolutely love it! It's full of character and definitely my favourite car i've owned to date.

More updates to come, and if anybody could advise on how to upload photos, that would also be great 😂

Dan

• Like 3

• Site Subscriber’s

Sorry i'm late to the party, welcome mate! Believe I saw you post your new coupe in one of the facebook groups, either Accord owners UK or Cars you don't see anymore? 🤔
Looked spot on :)👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 7/19/2023 at 12:28 PM, Josh98 said:

Sorry i'm late to the party,

Not as late as me! :lol:

Welcome aboard, as most have said, parts aren't a great problem if you know where to look. As for the exhaust, as Stu says they are incredibly sensitive not only to back pressure but the volume of the exhaust as well as it is a tuned length and diameter so not only would you lose power with a bigger bore exhaust but the economy would also drop and it would be extremely loud too! :o