Subscriptions & Donations ×

Alternator getting RED HOT.

Kelvin

• Site Subscriber’s

Well, I stick the coupe in for the MOT a week ago and she went straight through, I was happy to say the least.

Today however, there was a whine/whistle on start up that follows the revs and I think, it's the alternator.

Stu replaced the water pump and belts a couple of years back, so I don't think it's the water pump.

I think my time with the car might be over...

• Sad 4

On 11/6/2021 at 4:04 PM, Kelvin said:

Today however, there was a whine/whistle on start up that follows the revs 

Mine has been doing that consistently for several years.  It never lasts more than 30 seconds, and it does correlate with turning the steering wheel, so I conclude it is something to do with the power steering pump.  

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
On 11/6/2021 at 4:04 PM, Kelvin said:

Well, I stick the coupe in for the MOT a week ago and she went straight through, I was happy to say the least.

Today however, there was a whine/whistle on start up that follows the revs and I think, it's the alternator.

Stu replaced the water pump and belts a couple of years back, so I don't think it's the water pump.

I think my time with the car might be over...

Would be a shame to dump it, just because of an alternator. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, welland99 said:

Mine has been doing that consistently for several years.  It never lasts more than 30 seconds, and it does correlate with turning the steering wheel, so I conclude it is something to do with the power steering pump.  

Lot of cars quite often get that with worn belts, especially if it's a damp morning start up....just the belt slipping. 

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s
9 hours ago, welland99 said:

Mine has never done that - Stu replaced the belts when I got it, its always been silent.

It didn't go away either, just got louder and whinier, so I parked up after 12 miles and walked home.

Listening again yesterday, it comes from the alternator, which is getting red hot.

Gonna have a think about it today. We're moving the boat and it'd have to live in a town centre car park anyway.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sounds like a bearing has died in the alternator, fairly simple to change on most Denso alternators. There could be an electrical fault (rectifier) in the alternator causing similar though but either way a new alternator isn't a deal-breaker on a car that's otherwise reliable.

• Like 1