Subscriptions & Donations ×

2030, charging issues & alternatives

PTR200S

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, davebrads said:

I have an automatic negative reaction to anyone who describes themselves as the voice of reason

That's understandable but worth giving the benefit of the doubt on this one. Also on a lot of his other videos that aren't relevant to this thread or even the forum for the most part.

• Moderators
On 11/6/2021 at 11:08 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

If this is correct (and the alleged source should be credible) then BEVs are fatally flawed before we start! :o

A mate of mine rang me first thing Saturday with this link, absolutely brilliant introduction with the Nissan Urinator for pissing about in !!!!

🤣🤣🤣

• Clap Hands 1

• Site Subscriber’s

I did start watching and it started OK and then he revealed himself to be the idiot I expected him to be with his rant against cyclists - the only mode of personal transport that really does make sense. He really does have a melt down at that point, spittle going everywhere, he has got serious problems.

• Site Subscriber’s

I did, and it got worse. Extrapolating from Volvo saying that it takes 70,000 miles to recoup the extra carbon footprint of an electric vehicle to justify continuing to drive a big dirty diesel. Like I said, don't trust anyone calling themselves the voice of reason, reason is something they rarely know how to use.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, davebrads said:

I did, and it got worse. Extrapolating from Volvo saying that it takes 70,000 miles to recoup the extra carbon footprint of an electric vehicle to justify continuing to drive a big dirty diesel. Like I said, don't trust anyone calling themselves the voice of reason, reason is something they rarely know how to use.

Volvo have said that and were in fact comparing it to the equivalent petrol model as they're dropping diseasels.

• Site Subscriber’s
On 11/10/2021 at 10:53 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Volvo have said that and were in fact comparing it to the equivalent petrol model as they're dropping diseasels.

That's my point, how did the "voice of reason" get from there to justifying his continued use of a diesel car?

• Site Subscriber’s

I've just looked at some of his other output. He is a serious bellend and borderline mentally ill, why would anyone take any notice of him?

His video does make one point which sadly explains why we are going to destroy the planet. He talks about a friend (!) visiting, 180 miles journey, and having to stop for a couple of hours to recharge. Say they both live on the motorway network and there's no congestion, that's a 3 hour journey without stops, or a 5 hour one with the 2 hour stop. How long ago was it when 180 miles in 5 hours was considered good going? 60 years? And only 100 years ago it would have taken several hours longer unless they both lived on the same train line. The truth is that this kind of rapid personal transport is not sustainable with current technology. Battery cars are not the answer, but nor is ICE. But unfortunately the majority of people will not give up the "freedom" that the motor car allows them and would rather continue to make the planet uninhabitable than change the way they live.

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, davebrads said:

His video does make one point which sadly explains why we are going to destroy the planet. He talks about a friend (!) visiting, 180 miles journey, and having to stop for a couple of hours to recharge. Say they both live on the motorway network and there's no congestion, that's a 3 hour journey without stops, or a 5 hour one with the 2 hour stop. How long ago was it when 180 miles in 5 hours was considered good going? 60 years? And only 100 years ago it would have taken several hours longer unless they both lived on the same train line. The truth is that this kind of rapid personal transport is not sustainable with current technology. Battery cars are not the answer, but nor is ICE. But unfortunately the majority of people will not give up the "freedom" that the motor car allows them and would rather continue to make the planet uninhabitable than change the way they live.

Now you've got it! ;):D

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

Just been reading that some sort of "legislation " is coming into force on 30th June that will enforce new charging rules on electric charge points.

I have not heard of this until today so could be boll@($ but , apparently,  this means newly installed charge points have to have predetermined charge times set into them.

There will be no charging allowed 8am to 11am and 4pm to 10pm ?????

This is to take the load off the grid 🤣🤣🤪🤪, if true , we fekin told you idiots a couple of years back!!!

This now begs the question of, "does this apply to both homecharging AND public charging ?" 

If both then the implications are huge.....if this so called legislation is actually for real.

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

If all this is true Pete, it's going to really scupper the BEV movement in more ways than one! :P

Found this but it would seem not to be compulsory other than having the facility to set times for off peak etc..I think, though, it will allow the energy suppliers to fix those times via the smart meter.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/regulations-electric-vehicle-smart-charge-points

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Thing is though it seems the end user can set it to what they want,,,or maybe they mean the energy supplier ?

Whatever they intend it seems the EV user will have problems charging when THEY want to charge....not everyone works 9-5 in an office environment...although those stupid government types seem to think so with everything they think (feck ) up, wait until their favourite NHS nurses have to charge and also work shifts....

That security thing....no one will be allowed to change it from the national default 🤣🤣🤣 without fear of being hung , drawn and quartered!!!

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

This is more understandable....

https://insights.leaseplan.co.uk/electric-vehicles/ev-smart-charging-faq/

The security appears to be data encryption. 

There are a couple of lines in the narrative about the energy companies control of YOUR charger !!!!

Even the 10pm release can be varied by the companies by upto half an hour....

So, NHS worker on shift at 12 midnight,  gets in at 9am previous morning,  no charge available until 11am by which time they are in bed anyway...ok, so it's plugged in so starts charging at 11 am....at 4pm it shuts down again..

At 10pm it should start charging again but grid capacity is such that the power company only allows it to start at 10.30pm...NHS worker has to leave at 11pm to go to work...

Total charging time, 5.5 hrs .....is that enough on a home charger ??? OK , I suppose it depends on how much is in the car to start with...but all this is "state control"...

and what happens if during those peak hours when your car is not able to charge and the Stazi decide they want to DRAIN power from your car to help the demand?

Our theoretical NHS worker goes to car at 11pm only to find there is less charge in the car than when he/she arrived home at 9am earlier in the day!!!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators

You've just described the situation i predicted a couple of years back when i said the infrastructure wouldn't cope and would trip breakers causing power cuts resulting in no charge going into the BEV and people missing work as a result.

Slightly different cause but overall effect is the same. In your scenario it would be hoped that the system would have some means of interrogating the vehicle on charge to assess use patterns and charge it enough to at least cover that but that leaves the options open for a case of the battery going flat when the hypothetical worker is assigned to a different work location and plugs in expecting a full charge but only has enough to get to/from their normal work location.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Another nail in the coffin of BEVs - found this the other day while generally just trawling YT :

Scary stuff when you think about it! The batteries can get damaged when the power is restored after a power cut/outage due to the weather - what about the minor power cuts we often get because the Grid can't supply everything demanded of ita/ Sets potential time bombs on all those BEVs being charged at the time and people who don't realise, may unplug their charger to plug the lawnmower in to cut the grass then plug the charger back in causing similar problems. :o

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...