Subscriptions & Donations ×

2030, charging issues & alternatives

PTR200S

• Moderators

OK, extracted from the Guardian of all places 🤪 but.......

If true, how is this going to affect the green agenda ???

Remember that information about using smart meters to extract energy from  EV sat connected to your home leccy,...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jul/22/great-britain-faces-risk-of-winter-blackouts-system-operator-warns

• grrrr 1

• Moderators

Why are they surprised? Don't they read this forum? I predicted exactly this scenario a few years ago! I said we didn't have the infrastructure to cope with demand for all the BEVs they wanted us to buy!

It seems now the DVLA are jumping on the bandwagon and telling people that older cars and lawnmowers ( :o ) won't be compatible with the new E10 fuels, presumably to scare people into rushing out and buying electric mowers and cars.

I couldn't understand where the lawnmowers bit came from so i double checked the website, no mention of lawnmowers so it seems someone has been spouting off to the person who sent me this link saying older cars and lawnmowers weren't compatible :

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fuelling-a-greener-future-e10-petrol-set-for-september-2021-launch

Either way i smell a scare campaign! Again! 🤬

• grrrr 1

• Moderators

I did see an article or some mention of lawnmowers, chain saw,  hedge cutter stuff somewhere on some official website, can't think where yet, but it was off the back of the fact that 50cc mopeds could be in trouble, hence 35cc, 25cc chainsaws etc would be too.

Not sure where the lawnmower comes in, aren't even the push style motor mowers a 100cc or more ? 

My mower is an 850cc V twin and comes under " motorcycle " engine determination so should be OK...?? added the the fact its a Briggs and Stratton so used to E10 in its home country???

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

People seem to be running away with the idea it's down to engine size, it's the rubber components in the fuel system that are the problem.

As you say B&S engines should be fine for that very reason, mines the same but the fuel tank bolts onto the caarb so no fuel lines, no problem!

• Like 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

I did see an article or some mention of lawnmowers, chain saw,  hedge cutter stuff somewhere on some official website, can't think where yet, but it was off the back of the fact that 50cc mopeds could be in trouble, hence 35cc, 25cc chainsaws etc would be too.

Not sure where the lawnmower comes in, aren't even the push style motor mowers a 100cc or more ? 

The friend that sent me the gov.uk link sent me another now - a screenshot of the Google :lol: page where she searched about it!

It was all on there about small engines not being suitable, where do they get those idiots from on Google???

Been trying to explain for several years how the Bosch LH-Jetronic uses and responds to the Lambda sensor over on the Volvo forum. Found out the other day the reason he kept getting it wrong is because he uses Google as his search engine! Don't get me wrong, he's not an idiot but he does seem to blindly believe everything he reads on Google without cross-referencing other search engines and sources.

I did point this out to him recently and he's gone very quiet on the subject, hopefully he's researching other options now!

Come across so many incorrect or only half-right things on Google, it's unreal.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Another aspect now, one company owns nearly all the charging capacity....

Interesting the RAC say only 25000 public chargers available,  whereas the green lobby say 66000 chargers available....that's when they compare them with the 32000 petrol stations 😂.....but the petrol station has a number of fuel pumps with at least two variations on fuel.. hell of a lot more than 66000 SINGLE  chargers !!!!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/electric-cars/why-electric-charger-providers-are-under-scrutiny

• grrrr 1

• Moderators

My local BP station can supply 8 vehicles at the same time from 8 double-sided pumps (16 nozzles) so multiply 8 (as an average of nozzles per station out of a sample size of ...................... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ....................... one! :P ) by the 32000 fuel stations and that's 256000 cars dealt with in 10 minutes on average.

Average charging time of a BEV? Not sure, i'd guess an hour to get someone home. Still takes a lot longer to charge the same number of BEVs than it would to refuel proper cars! Think of the man-hours lost if those people were late for work - every day because their batteries ran out at the same point each day.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Just wondering if the purported 66000 chargers includes all the home chargers too? 

I have been looking locally for chargers but so far have seen 4 public chargers - and I live in a high density area...

My neighbour has had his 32A charger installed for his new paid for long range Audi eTron which is still not delivered (due to the chip shortage he is told).  I was musing over just how long he will have to charge it for until his battery is full - and how much it will cost him per full charge....  Meanwhile his old diesel Santa Fe is kept going....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Fuel crisis ??

Had the petrol shortage now get the full set with electric shortages as now National grid is not ruling out power cuts this winter due to the loss of a power cable supply, across the water, from France.....

...pity they can't manage to cut off the ILLEGAL migrant flow over the Channel. 

🤪

• Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

..pity they can't manage to cut off the ILLEGAL migrant flow over the Channel. 

Unless our estimated 3 million plus EU Nationals go through the rigmarole to obtain settled status (their previously and personally obtained right of permanent residence has been revoked (unlike immigrants from any area outside the EU), we are chucking out established EU nationals (note only EU nationals, no others it seems) who are already legally in the UK and have integrated into society, and who mostly speak & write good English.  Many are and have been solidly working in all sorts of roles from nurses to lawyers whereas it seems all they really have to do is go to France & paddle back acrosss the channel and be welcomed with open arms....

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Had the petrol shortage now get the full set with electric shortages as now National grid is not ruling out power cuts this winter due to the loss of a power cable supply, across the water, from France.....

When the cuts come, I wonder how folk are going to charge all the electric cars without electricity?  Big solar panels???  Pedal cycle generators installed at home and in schools??

• Clap Hands 2

• Moderators
On 10/7/2021 at 2:04 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Also what the batteries are rated at?

Think i might have an application for a pair of batteries like that..................... :P

Looks like the batteries are just 500 wh  !!  🤣

Tiny enough , good for a bike I guess.

• Clap Hands 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Here is an American thought on the EV Real world view. 

Bear in mind the cost of petrol is lower than ours, their gallon is smaller etc etc but they use mid 30 to the US gallon as a marker, we know here it is around 45 to 50 miles to the imperial gallon for a cut off point in terms of cost per mile but not factoring in the initial cost of the vehicle. 

The interesting bit is the " deadhead" miles !!!

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2021/10/21/electric-vehicle-charging-cost-vs-gas/6110815001/

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Nice to see someone putting together a real world report on BEVs, it's like i've said all along, the infrastructure isn't there to cope with them. Almost certainly fair to say our infrastructure is no nearer being ready than the US infrastructure and because of a larger population density and therefore the likelihood of more BEVs per square mile here, the problems are likely to show up sooner than in the USA.

It doesn't really paint a bright future for BEVs especially when you consider that although the US gallon is smaller (0.8 x Imperial gallon) which turns that 33mpg into 40mpg in the UK based purely on calculation but take into account the practical situation - in the US the roads are more free flowing so i'd suggest a real world fuel economy figure for the UK would also be 33mpg to base the calculations on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hmmm, the equivalent of a spare petrol can backup ???  Expensive " can " of fuel at £800....There is a Honda "connection " too !!

This so wrong, just can't bring myself to even think about why it is but it does make me laugh 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10156975/Portable-electric-vehicle-chargers-available-year.html

• grrrr 1

• Moderators

For £50/month "rental" on that "fuel can" i'd want someone to come and plug it in whenever i was low on charge as well!

Someone obviously spotted a niche in the market and have invested enough to be able to make a killing out of the mugs that have more money than sense!

• Like 1