Subscriptions & Donations ×

2030, charging issues & alternatives

PTR200S

• Moderators

Confirmation of the 2030 for no more combustion engines in new cars, vans etc..hybrid ok for while longer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54981425

Interesting to note in this article the requirement for new homes NOT to be using gas to heat them from 2023...also looking for towns to volunteer to go "hydrogen " !!!

If we can keep the Coupes going another ten years will they be in demand? 😁

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

A thought crossed my mind yesterday - after the scandal of diesel-related health problems, i wonder if the govt has taken a knee-jerk reaction and decided to ban the production of new combustion engines?

Also just where do all the materials come from for the EVs and producing the electricity that propels them? I suppose much of this was prompted by something i heard on TV yesterday about the carbon footprint of the various foods vegans eat - astonishingly large!

Worst offenders are some of those that claim to be the most eco-friendly, smoke and mirrors comes to mind!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Nothing ever does, they just make it up as they go along... 😡

A bit like Covid and all the other things in life! They use statistics to make themselves look good but who compiles these statistics and what mid altering drugs are they fed during the process?

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

Seems our leaders are trying to ban new build houses having a gas boiler by 2023 - and converting older ones to electric or heat source .

This will put yet another massive electric load on the grid just at the time they plan to have us all busily converting to electric cars......

I wonder where all the electricity will come from and how it will get distributed.....  Most electric cables under our potholed roads are old - and designed to carry much lesser elecricity loads than will shortly be demanded... so likely many cables / junctions will fail....  but to carry substabntially more to power boilers must surely cause overloads??

Not seen anything about any plans to upgrade the electricity cable system  as yet, but with every other house and lamp post seemingly being planned to have a chargiing point giving a decent charge, that will be a lot of current down old cables

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

I was talking to a customer the other day who had a neighbour tell him about his request for a fast charger install at his "estate" house built just 30 years ago. 

The installer who came to do the job couldn't hook up a fast charger as the cable supply was too small, capacity wise, so the best he could do was a 7.5kw.  Even that was pushing it and the installer said it was only because he was the first house on the estate, about 15 houses, to get one.

Anyone else who wants an external charge point will only get a standard supply as the mains cable to the estate can't handle any more without an upgrade.

Can see it now, bloke turns on his car charger and the lights go out in the rest of the close,,,,,, cup of tea? Nip up to electric car man and ask him to turn it off for a few minutes whilst we boil a kettle

😛

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Haha 1

• Site Subscriber’s
On 11/19/2020 at 7:29 AM, Laird_Scooby said:

A thought crossed my mind yesterday - after the scandal of diesel-related health problems, i wonder if the govt has taken a knee-jerk reaction and decided to ban the production of new combustion engines?

Also just where do all the materials come from for the EVs and producing the electricity that propels them? I suppose much of this was prompted by something i heard on TV yesterday about the carbon footprint of the various foods vegans eat - astonishingly large!

Worst offenders are some of those that claim to be the most eco-friendly, smoke and mirrors comes to mind!

Avocados - they have a terrible footprint, it's shocking but then so do many things. Especially fruit and veg.

It's not just a vegan problem however. Until we all start buying as local as we can, at a greater cost to ourselves, non of these initiatives mean anything. Buy British! I may be anti Brexit but we seriously need to promote buying UK made gear.

Buying a Bluetooth speaker - buy a minirig! Buy from small independent shops if you really do need to buy foreign.

Buy brussels from Bedfordshire rather than avocados!

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

It's not just a vegan problem however.

True but they're normally the ones that try to tell the rest of us how green they're being eating vegetables instead of meat and in reality, their carbon footprint is probably a lot larger than the carnivores carbon footprint! (Try saying that without your teeth in! :P )

Seems a bit hypocritical to me!

Buy British!

Definitely! Since we joined the EEC (as it was then) back in 1973, the choice of British goods has diminished in the shops. There are countless reasons for this but one of the reasons i wanted Brexit is to get rid of the EU (as they are now) trying to tell us how to live our lives. Look at the current situation with the fishing rights argument. We fought this back in the late 70s and lost a lot of our fishing rights in OUR OWN WATERS!!!!!! Just one example from all the things we lost control of or had it reduced by the EU, there seems to be several generations out there that only see the good side of the EU and in fairness they have caused some improvements, particularly on employment law, human rughts etc but that said, they've also gone too far on this. Not going to cite individual cases or we'd be here all month but the good they have done is far outweighed by the bad they've done to us and that makes the cost too high.

we seriously need to promote buying UK made gear.

We do indeed! Before the EEC we had everything made here, it will come again eventually but will take time. I don't know if you get Practical Classics but each issue they show a photo of somewhere in the UK from a day in history and the photos from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s show a progression from an almost entirely British car parc to one that is European with more difference in the 90s to the earlier ones from the 60s - you'd need to have seen several different issues of PC to get a feel for what i'm saying but shop fronts were changing too with a more European feel/look. Not just the natural progression of facelifts on the shop fronts but "new" foreign sounding names.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Kelvin said:

I may be anti Brexit but we seriously need to promote buying UK made gear.

I second that Kelvin, always actively support local business or buy UK manufactured or sourced products even it costs me a little more at times. 👊👍

• Clap Hands 2

• Moderators

This is interesting as far as boosting charging goes...plus two companies getting it together.?.start of the takeover that always happens until you are left with two or three "monopolies" .

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130618_freewire-and-bp-unit-ally-for-more-uk-fast-chargers-without-grid-upgrades

• Sad 2

• Moderators

Electric "pad" charging, this is probably a good move but what happens when those people that can't park properly in supermarket car space let alone on the road side get it all wrong and straddle two pads ? !! 😄

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/analysis-wireless-ev-charging-future

• Confused 1

• The title was changed to 2030, charging issues & alternatives
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

what happens when those people that can't park properly in supermarket car space let alone on the road side get it all wrong and straddle two pads ? !! 😄

They come back to their abandoned vehicle to find they've caused a magnetic short circuit and compltely flattened their battery and can't move the thing! :lol:

• Haha 1

• Moderators

I was speaking to a guy yesterday,  just got a 70 plate merc hybrid, whilst working at a neighbouring customers house.

He had waited nearly 8 months for delivery, had to change the colour he wanted from black to white otherwise it would have been a year from order.  Bear in mind that the EU are panicking  !!

The point of the story is that he had been to four charging points , three broken / not working and one with a queue. 🙃

He has run the merc on petrol for nearly four weeks since he got it, 45 miles ev range only.....that requires charging from an electricity supply. He cannot  charge at home either due to location/ no driveway access .

How does this example equate to saving the planet from our tiny island state ? 

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

I thought the whole idea of a hybrid is that it charges from the engine so plug-in charging wasn't necessary?

It sounds very much like he's been sold down the river, not just by the dealer (colour change, lack of mobile charging from the engine) but by the green machine that persuaded him to change his ideas and get an EV in the first place! :o

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I thought the whole idea of a hybrid is that it charges from the engine so plug-in charging wasn't necessary?

Me too !!

The Merc EQ 250 is a plug in hybrid,  according to the Merc website it has to be plugged in to charge it up for its paltry 45 mile ev range.

You either go electric OR use real go juice.

Is that the same for all plug in hybrid??

If so then they, the vehicles, are a waste of resources building battery/ electric motors in them..not many people will be bothered charging them if the infrastructure doesn't support their cause.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just had a go with the Volvo hybrid site, it allows you to select you current vehicle mileage usage,  the fuel cost etc. Then it projects your savings over three years using a Volvo hybrid compared to your current vehicle. 

There is a disclaimer on the actual ev range saying it, in essence, may not be a true figure !

There is no calculation regarding the cost of the hybrid against a normal car but as far as I am concerned I will be dead and buried and my offspring would be very old before it panned out !!!

I would save £564 over three years, 7500 miles a year, 16 quid a month....then take off the EV to petrol vehicle differential buying cost.....

Oh, and the XC90,  my comparison vehicle,  only does 26 miles on a charge ....wtf !!!!

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

If I halve the mileage per year to about 3600 I can "save" 20 pounds month...so this means big miles per year cost way more than pure petrol.

Increasing the miles per year to 15k drops the savings to £8 month over three years.

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Maybe but the PCP payments are £400/month so net loss of £380/month...............................

Just been looking at those  699 per month for XC90 or if we come down a bit to an xc40 its £399 per month, outright about 68k down to 40k....

• Like 1