Subscriptions & Donations ×

New OEM Battery 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe 2.0 3.0 V6

Cryistic

• Administrators
On 5/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, davebrads said:

Stu has managed to bodge to make it work something like the original.

bodge 😵 how very dare you 🤣

12 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Stu ? 🙃

Daves is the 2.0 coupe, battery on the other side of the engine bay too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• The topic was pinned
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, hughezee said:

bodge 😵 how very dare you 🤣

Daves is the 2.0 coupe, battery on the other side of the engine bay too.

Ah, didn't know it was completely different location , just presumed it was same place in both 2 litre and 3 litre ..........ta very much , Obi Wan Kenobi 🙂 the force is indeed , great, within you.  🙂

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 6/2/2020 at 2:03 AM, PTR200S said:

Ah, didn't know it was completely different location

Once upon a time all models within a range had the battery in the same place. Now it seems they put the battery anywhere it will still fit. :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And another dead battery on my 2 litre.

To be fair it was some no name affair and criminally underrated (an 063 360A 40mAH cheapie slung in by the previous owner). Refused to charge beyond 10V so I suspect a dead cell or two.

Anyway, pulled the trigger today on a Yuasa 3005 (thanks Dave for the suggestion) from Tayna for 57 quid.

Poor old Coupe has been neglected since lockdown, not driven in anger for over three months now. Just about keeping on top of four out of five of the Rovers, which also displayed dead batteries at various times throughout lockdown, some more than once.

The fifth Rover (1992 214 SLi) is stuffed away on the naughty step in a garage far far away, but I unhooked the battery on that one before laying it up.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...

Interesting article. As a result of some additional research I ditched the flat Bosch battery and replaced it with this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-Pro-57219-12V-72ah-610CCA-Car-battery-UK-072-096R-086-Varta-Replacement/392858170706?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And it fitted snugly and the Coupe burst into life after a couple of months of inaction.

Now for the MOT...

• Like 3

• Moderators

With a different label, the same battery could be sold as a Bosch, Varta, Chloride, Lion or almost anything. Seems all batteries are made in the Far East these days.

Without a label, the same people (under a slightly different ebay name) sell the same battery as a "Cosmetic battery", some that have been returned because the fault was elsewhere on the vehicle, sale or return basis or whatever else. Tested and a shorter guarnatee but a much nicer price.

Like Pete says, keep us posted on your MoT progress, got one of mine coming soon <where's the "Gulp!" emoji?> si i daresay i'll be on there and just about a month later, the other is due too! :o

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

Well despite keeping the battery charged and using a maintainer too, the Bosch hasn't lasted as I predicted. 😡🙄

20210304-115718.jpg

Anyway, my new Exide Excell EB705 battery arrived today on a pallet 😂 well it arrived in perfect condition. 👍

20210304-092431.jpg20210304-092517.jpg20210304-120843.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Well despite keeping the battery charged and using a maintainer too, the Bosch hasn't lasted as I predicted. 😡🙄

Calcium or silver-calcium by any chance Stu? If so, what's the maximum voltage from the alternator?

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

Not even a year old?

The car hasn't been out much given the current situation and salt on the roads more recently, so lack of real-world use and it will likely recover on a more powerful fast charger, although tried that with another battery brand and it went flat after a day or so?

10 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Calcium or silver-calcium by any chance Stu? If so, what's the maximum voltage from the alternator?

Spec says sealed calcium, last check on the alternator was 14.4 ish looking at when I last serviced the car, I have a brand new one to fit soon anyway.🖐️

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hughezee said:

Spec says sealed calcium, last check on the alternator was 14.4 ish looking at when I last serviced the car,

That voltage is too low to keep a calcium battery charged Stu, needs a minimum of 14.7V unfortunately.

Two choices, either find a proper lead-acid battery without the calcium on the plates or fit an alternator boost diode as i've previously described.

The voltage then varies between 15.1-14.7V but no more flat batteries - you'll also need a desulphator to recover that Bosch and put it on a trickle charger for a couple of months with the desulphator across it as well.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

That voltage is too low to keep a calcium battery charged Stu, needs a minimum of 14.7V unfortunately.

That was fully loaded, lights everything, but I know what you're saying buddy 👍 I have a brand new uprated alternator, as I am fitting a subwoofer at some point with some big caps too, so I am not too worried.🤪 I will return it maybe they might give me a new one?🤔

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

Not even a year old?

that is bad isn't it, my Yuasa fitted last May,  fired the engine first time after being sat for months,,just hope it gets to a year!!!!

If not it will be fired off, for replacement, as not fit for purpose / faulty .

Stu , I would be getting it back to your supplier.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Stu , I would be getting it back to your supplier.

I will try Pete, already fell out with one local supplier over a battery warranty only 18months old and it came with a 3-year warranty which wasn't honoured...😡

• grrrr 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I will try Pete, already fell out with one local supplier over a battery warranty only 18months old and it came with a 3-year warranty which wasn't honoured...😡

I know what you mean, they always have an excuse 🤬

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• 2 weeks later...