Subscriptions & Donations ×

New OEM Battery 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe 2.0 3.0 V6

Cryistic

• 8 months later...

With temperatures dropping I have noticed a very slight change in note when cold starting my Coupe recently. It was six years ago I made a rare trip to Halfords and bought a 'five year' calcium tech 70ah battery HCB072 with a claimed starting current of 570 amps.  To be fair it has performed faultlessly. It has never needed topping up and the terminals have remained spotless. It might keep going for a while but living out in the sticks I thought it time for a replacement. Visited Halfords to find the HCB072 is no longer available!  Well done bean counters.... that's the way to save the High Street ! The only choice offered was a Yuasa HSG072 for £129 ! Time for a rethink. Looked on line and came across Tayna in Wales which I guess you all know well. Together with most of the big names offered I found an Enduroline 75ah 'four year' calcium tech battery with a claimed starting current of 620amps..... £71 delivered to my door, fitted this morning in sub zero temperatures ! Time will tell if I have done the right thing. It might just outlive the car ?

• Like 2

• Moderators

Slight note change? You mean the engine turned over slower with you quoting cranking amps.....or the engine sounded "gruffer" when started ?

Would be interesting to get your old battery checked for the cranking amps, just to see how far gone down compared with standard 570,,,assuming you meant the engine was turning over slower to start...

Ordered my last new battery from a Honda dealer last time, Bosch battery, stamped Honda, for less than a high street or trade outlet could do. !!!!!

• Like 1

Familiar starting note has now returned courtesy of the new battery.

I agree it wou!d be very interesting to know the CCA of the old battery however access to suitable kit is beyond me and my local workshop who suggested they are circa £800..

However it shut down after only a few minutes when I put the old battery on charge. 

To me at least this suggested it's capacity was greatly reduced and all was well with the charging capabilities of the car.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...