Subscriptions & Donations ×

Rear bumper off and a bit of rust.

Chrismas

• Site Subscriber’s

Going to fit reverse sensors to the Accord, but could see dirt and rust underneath. The crash bar is a bit rusty and will need cleaning. Doesn't look like the bumper has been off in a while. I reckon most of this will clean up. Plastic clip on the bumper needs sorting, and I'm not sure whether to touch the number plate light mounts which are a bit crusty too. 

20200527-193355.jpg.jpg20200527-193431.jpg.jpg20200527-193507.jpg.jpg20200527-193523.jpg.jpg

• Like 4

• Administrators

That's not too bad, all lower grade soft steel parts and should clean up easily, I would recommend drilling out the spot welds breaking off the upper bumper stiffener support. Properly clean the area de-rust the bracket and repaint and secure with rivets. Also I replaced my rear crash bar as it was pretty bad on the insides, so I just got a new one.

IMG-20160714-120128.jpg
IMG-20160716-112142.jpg

• Like 4

• Site Subscriber’s
On 5/28/2020 at 12:12 AM, hughezee said:

71530-S82-G00ZZ

The bar cleaned up after removing it, and a coat of silver Smoothrite. Didn't fancy drilling the top support, so that got a thorough coating too, after a rub down. The whole area is vulnerable to the elements, due to the number plate lights being open. Bad design in my opinion. 

When I took the bumper off, I must have knocked the pointy end of the taillight off. Luckily I found it 6ft away on the road, and glued it back. 

20200529_103707.jpg

20200529_103714.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators

Looks great rep points on there way shortly, shame about the light though, I have spares if you decide to replace it?

6 hours ago, Chrismas said:

Bad design in my opinion. 

The bumper would increase wind resistance without a hole, rather have ventilation in that area, a lot of cars suffer heavy corrosion in those places.

• Like 3

• Site Subscriber’s

Fabricated some frames to replace the crusty number plate light mounts, taking inspiration from another post on this site. Doesn't look too bad, and you can't see it anyway. 

20200530_130601.jpg

20200530_130548.jpg

• Like 5

• Site Subscriber’s

Next job on mine is to address a liitle bulge in the wheel arch inner edge. One side is OK, but the nearside is warped with a little obvious rust. I'm going to get the Dremel out and grind it out, taking care not to damage the outside edge and wing. Then rust proof it, fill it, and spray it in the proper silver paint I have. 

20200602_212851.jpg

• Like 4
  • Clap Hands 1

On 6/2/2020 at 9:30 PM, Chrismas said:

Next job on mine is to address a liitle bulge in the wheel arch inner edge. One side is OK, but the nearside is warped with a little obvious rust. I'm going to get the Dremel out and grind it out, taking care not to damage the outside edge and wing. Then rust proof it, fill it, and spray it in the proper silver paint I have. 

20200602_212851.jpg

My rear wheel arches have a wavy shape along their inner edges, like yours.  I've always wondered what caused them, but suspected that a very minor impact in a car park might have been related (caused by another car).  Or, is it a feature (ahem) of our coupes?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1