Subscriptions & Donations ×

KB1 Dash Cam Fitted "NEXTBASE"

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

Well, I took the plunge and fitted my new Nextbase HD DUO HD dash cam.  My previous camera was expertly hardwired by Stu via the rear of the cigarette lighter.  I’m always a bit nervous messing with electrics, especially when you hear horror stories of multiplex units blowing etc.  Due to the current lockdown, I can’t pop over to Stu’s so I thought I would have a go myself.  Yes, I did call Stu before, just to double check a few things though.  🙂

I firstly very carefully removed the trim surrounding the shifter.  Popping the shifter to neutral helped.  The connectors to the two heated seat switches were removed which allowed better access.  I then proceeded to remove the existing wiring from under the trim etc in readiness for the replacement new Nextbase hardwire kit.

instead of undoing Stu’s soldering, I thought I leave the soldering alone, cut the wires a couple of inches away from the switch and then connect/solder the two wires from the hardwire kit.

RED AND BLACK WIRES EXPOSED READY FOR THE SNIP:

F863-D1-BD-240-F-4121-BB67-49-D4-B4-EAC4

WIRES WERE THEN CUT SEPARATELY, NEW WIRES WERE THEN TWISTED ON AND SOLDERED TOO, FINISHING WITH A GENEROUS APPLICATION OF YELLOW ELECTRICAL TAPE, ENSURING WIRES ARE FREE TO MOVE AND NOT SNAGGING:

C192-E5-D1-99-BE-434-A-A630-C670-E0498-C

BEFORE BUTTONING EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER THE CAMERA WAS TESTED BY TURNING ON THE IGNITION.  VOILA  CAMERA WORKS FINE:

3-B0-E6-DF4-14-FB-4700-98-F5-3-B1957-F6-

WIRES WERE CAREFULLY THREADED UNDERNEATH THE TRIM, THEN UNDER THE DASH (USING SMALL CABLE TIES TO KEEP THE WIRE TIDY AND SECURE).  EVERYTHING STILL WORKING FINE.

0-C7-AC843-849-A-4096-8-DA6-51830-A1708-

I know most of you could do this in your sleep but for me, I felt quite chuffed.  As you can see, there are black raised dimples on the windscreen where the dash cam needs to go.  The suction mount is quite useless, therefore, I have ordered a non-suction mount with some 3M VHB tape which is mega strong!

Happy Days.

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I've got a few pretty pictures but they won't make sense as yet so i'll post them with the rest of it - hopefully tomorrow.

Been hardwiring my dashcam and running the rear camera for it plus a couple of bulb replacements and some otherminor things. ;):D

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators

I wasn't sure if you were referring to the electrical tape pictured of which I was responsible, in this case, it was merely used as packing in the plug rather than insulation. However, guess you're referring to Geoff reusing the spur and I totally agree heat-shrink tubing would have been my first choice on these connections too.🤔

Nevertheless its a fused supply and its Geoffs car at the of the day I cannot it see ever failing in reality. 🤪

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

Been thinking about fitting a dash cam to the KB1 and how I would wire it.

Makes sense to me to take the power from the ceiling cluster. The interior spot/cabin light feed would be the most obvious (without checking current requirements of the cameras). Can't see them taking very much. I assume they are (mostly) all 12vdc and not 5v via a micro USB.

• Moderators

All the dashcams i've seen are USB powered and take anything up to 2A (at 5V so arguably from the 12V rail the demand would also be 2A as it'c commonly a buck converter rather than a transformer as transformers only work on AC) but the big thing here is that unless you use the car very regularly, the dashcam will flatten the battery fairly quickly.

For that reason, most are fitted using a cig lighter USB adaptor, aftermarket hidden adaptors can be fitted, piggy-back wired from the cig lighter and a longer USB lead bought to run up to the mirror or thereabouts to mount the dashcam itself. This long USB cable can be hidden behind trim/headlining etc

IMG-20200409-153227052.jpg

IMG-20200409-154436692.jpg

The "pyramid" in my Sterling that links to the factory alarm/immobiliser, note the slots cut into it for the camera leads, power and rear cam. It lives in the headlining just above the mirror so was an ideal place to bring the wires through.

IMG-20200409-180834842.jpg

Converter from 12V to twin USB sockets mounted using trim tape, USB lead for the cam went in one output, charging lead for phone went in the other.

IMG-20200409-173452115-HDR.jpg

USB lead up the A post to the headlining ^^^^^ and across to..................

IMG-20200409-173440046.jpg

......... the pyramid, now refitted and dropped down to the top of the mirror dashcam.

Hope it gives you some ideas! ;):D